Agnostic.com

53 8

Do sacred sites move you?

When traveling, do you still find yourself in awe of cathedrals and sacred sites? While I haven't the least desire to pray or worship, I am still awestruck and stand in wonder when exploring these spaces. I recall moving through the dim ambulatory of Notre Dame in Paris, taking in the incense, hearing the chior, watching the dancing shadows from the flickering flames of the candles dance across all the statues and arches and thinking to myself how mystical it was. It's no wonder that some people could be taken in by it, especially hundreds of years ago. It surely was magical. I also was dying to go inside La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, but sadly, we only toured the outside, which was groundbreaking and stunning, as well. I must get back there! I'm curious about my fellow atheists and agnostics, though. What say you?

• 35 votes
  • 10 votes
  • 74 votes
Lunashadow 5 July 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

53 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am always amazed by the grandeur of some of these sites. The churches in Spain are bedecked in stolen gold.

In a way, yes. There are some very beautiful structures built in the name of religion and I enjoy seeing them for their aesthetic value. But when I think about the unnecessary opulence of some of these places I can't help but get annoyed by it.

I get that. I’ve been to the Vatican twice with a student tour, and I detest the Catholic Church. St. Peter’s is breathtaking, but the riches are shameful.

To me it's the history or sometimes the spectacle. You mention Notre Dame. I remember the darkness, shadows, coolness, the musty smell. The building is a work of art that has stood for over 500 years. The tombs in front of Notre Dame. Skulls, everywhere, at one time a place to meditate and think.....interesting.

Moving from the hot sun outside to what seems like a cool, dark cave inside was so interesting. And yes, as a work of art, seeing these things stand for so long is mind boggling.

Nothing "sacred" moves me. Calling anything "sacred" is pathetic.

I went to Jerusalem years ago. For the most part it only confirmed my atheism but when we visited the church of the holy sepulcher. There was an orthodox nun in the crypt singing and the hairs stood up on my neck. The sound and atmosphere of the place was so eerie. I doubt that anyone could not have been moved.

I'm a sucker for old architecture. I've never traveled outside of the Americas, but anything built as a place of surrendering one's self to mysticism very much intrigues me, even if I don't believe in spirituality myself. Much effort went into designing and building those structures - talents that also went into churches too.

They were designed to be awe inspiring and the best examples in many cultures succeed, but then I've never been one to stint appreciation of the magnificent, be it the works of man or the natural world.

Kimba Level 7 July 7, 2018

The dark night sky, the forests, deserts, the view through a microscope, these kinds of things do that to me.

The most moving structure I've ever been in is Fallingwater. As close to spiritual as I get.

I can see that! Never been, but I’d love to go!

@Lunashadow If you do, try to do the first tour in the morning. Less crowded, and you will not want to rush.

@Mitch07102 thanks for the tip. I’ll add it to my bucket list!

I do not believe in any god but still do sioux stuff. The sapa and bad lands are amazing. I burn sweet grass but my step mom says what i do is less a god thing but earth belief

That is a wonderful to approach things! I feel a connection to the earth, and it makes sense to do things that strengthen that bond.

@Lunashadow i try to follow as much as i can. Learn to grow stuff now

I have viewed many sacred sites in Australia, whilst I respect their wishes, I find myself fascinated by their anthropological history of place.

Emile Level 5 July 11, 2018

I was most moved by a boulder and some other rocks that looked like Viking runes I saw in Maine. No human had anything to do with placement

btroje Level 9 July 10, 2018

I love seeing them because they are usually beautiful but there is nothing moving for me.

There is nothing "sacred" about them. They are just great architectural structures.

I love the architecture in many religious buildings, but not so much the reason for them being there

I respect that others find them moving but personally I'm more amazed at their construction

I like architecture. Moving not part of my everyday experience. Music moves me.... that's it.

I find that they want to make me move as far away from them as possible.

The architecture is often awe-inspiring, whether churches, cathedrals or ruins. I find it sad in churches of any type when people are worshipping, because I feel they’re grasping at straws that I tried in the past but no longer believe in, if I ever did.

I find a good church choir moving. On a coach trip in Iceland the other month it turned out the guide was a bit of a god freak and we did 2 unscheduled stops at historic churches. Both would've been uninteresting stops for me but the first one we happened to wander in just as the choir started their final rehearsal for a national singing thing due to be held the next day. The acoustics of the place and the quality of the singing combined into a fantastic experience.

Salo Level 7 July 7, 2018

I won't deny it. I do. I was invited to India about 11 years ago and was taken to temples more than a thousand years old. Some were beautifully carved, some were mere overhangs in the cliffs that the tide visited to take offerings out to sea, and 'The Mountain of 1000 Jain Temples'. My beliefs be damned! Experiencing culture is more important than standing on a moral soapbox preaching religion or lack thereof.
Then there are places like Devil's Tower which has trails decorated by medicine bundles, feathers, etc. I am moved by that as well. It is sacred for a reason. I walk through all those places with respect. It's none of my business to say what should or shouldn't work for others.

On the upside, have you ever seen splendor of Alcatraz or the catacombs or maybe take a tour of our prison system. That should lift your spirits. Don't get me wrong, I respect other people's beliefs but I find it difficult to understand many of them. Iike spirits ect. Am I wondering? To much weed? Never. Happy thoughts. No creo en Dios!

I have visited Yosemite, I have also read things about it and watched on what John Muir did there with the Natives. Yet, I still have a big liking of its geological formation.

i do not believe in the concept of sacredness. i love good architecture. i don't care if it's a church or a gazebo. i am a bit moved by certain synagogues but that is because of their struggle to exist, sometimes having been destroyed and rebuilt. it has nothing to do with sacredness. i like the acoustics in the parish church of st. martin-in-the-fields.

g

I find their history interesting and some times the arcitecture but thats about it

I voted for three. And there you have it ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:124503
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.