Agnostic.com

10 1

Tithing, Taxes... is there a difference?

Really; is one more voluntary than the other? Both religions and governments absorb all available energy. They conspire to control people's lives, assets... Note the largest buildings, structures are their monuments through space and time. IF/should you try to avoid them stealing your assets, you're likely to be ostracized, incarcerated... tossed out of society.

BobFenner 7 Jan 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Tithes/Taxes/Levies are ALL exactly the same thing, i.e. an Impost upon people and their incomes whether they can truly afford them or not.
Christian Churches try to cover up their own taxes by calling them 'tithes' which, btw, the word tithe means 1/10th. of your gross income, NOT your nett income. Their next step is to try and convince you that these 'tithes' are monies for God or that they are to help 'do God's work.'
Think about this though, IF this Supreme Being is as Omnipotent ( All Powerful) as the religion/s claim THEN why does he/she/it need money in the first place?
Governments impose taxes supposedly so that they may continually up-date/refurbish, etc, the infrastructure/s that we rely upon BUT where exactly do all the millions, if not Billions they raise actually go?

You're bringing to mind some of the fave lines of Geo. Carlin's routines re god here!

We used to raise money "for the common good" through lotteries, direct fees for services used, and tariffs. All were ways that were completely voluntary to pay. We had occasional taxes that were temporary in times of what was deemed absolutely necessary but as I said they were TEMPORARY. We had roads, schools, fire departments, police, a navy, and despite it being unconstitutional we had a standing army. It wasn't until 1913 that we implemented an income tax. Oddly enough that was the same year we started electing U.S. Senators by way of popular vote and established the Federal Reserve. We also started sending troops overseas to "spread liberty" and more and more welfare programs (yes I include corporate in that) and public works projects (aka "stimulus programs" ) signed into law. Sorry, but Taxation IS theft. People should be able to opt in to "tangible benefits" and not be forced to by some politician trying to bribe his constituency for votes.

Government claims they are voluntary, until someone shows up with a gun for failure to pay. Religion uses guilt and threats of damnation if you don't. Both are expected and coerced with fear.

B I N G O

Aw man!!! I only had one space to go 😛

No religious institution controls a dime of my money -- and never will. I pay taxes voluntarily to pay my fair share of governmental services and to be a responsible citizen -- as everybody who is not a freeloader should!

I think I'm missing something. Unless you're self-employed (or a server, perhaps) how is paying taxes voluntary?

Yes, there is quite a difference. If your house catches fire, who do you want to show up, the fire truck and the firefighters supported by your tax dollars or the priest supported by your tithes? With taxes, there is a tangible benefit from your monies, both for you individually and the community as a whole. If you feel taxation is theft, maybe you shouldn't drive on public roads, use public transportation, drink from the municipal water system, use the sewer system... the list goes on. In short, you benefit from tax funds on a daily basis in ways you never bother to consider. Taxation is not all about the politicians/con artists that grab the headlines. Most of the benefit is invisible to you and you should be glad it is.

Oh, am a giant fan of civilization... Appropriate public taxes for health, education and welfare. And not opposed to voluntary giving of funds for causes.

@BobFenner So then why exactly is the title asking if there's a difference between tithing and taxes??

@JeffMurray Simply curious as to how others perceive both these "demands for payment" Jeff. To/for me, "some" taxation is necessary for the public good... and am happy to pay. Tithing, giving money to churches et al. that is mandated I find objectionable; as do some others here.

@BobFenner Ah, it just seemed from the OP that you thought they were extremely similar, but comments after that seem to say the opposite. Also, I'd be surprised to find anyone here who wouldn't find tithing objectionable.

@JeffMurray I see; thank you for your note. Clarity is pleasurable.

I don't see any correlation between the two.
Adherence to a religion, and tithing, is completely voluntary. Refusing to do so is not criminal.
Refusing to pay one's taxes can result in imprisonment.

Actually amongst most Xtian type religions Tithing is a requirement, often it is disguised as being the Sending Around of a Collection plate though.

@Triphid Actually, it doesn't matter if the different religious sects consider tithing to be a "requirement". It's still voluntary, and they can't have you jailed if you refuse.

you don't go to jail for not tithing

Nope. You go to Hell.

No, they just condemn you, shun you and tell you that God will punish you for not being a good Christian.

If I were a Religious Person I would not voluntary donate 10% of my income nor pay a membership fee to join a Church or Temple. Believing in god should have nothing to do with money unless someone has the extra cash and wants to make a donation.

It's curious. God can make the blind see, the deaf hear, the dead live, the dumb speak, but he can't keep the lights on in a house of worship dedicated to him, (which we know he's super in to)? Maybe if the religion had the right god they wouldn't need your money...

They are the same in a royal monarchy. In a constitutional republic, you are part of the government, so it is completely different. Do I disagree with where our tax money comes from and goes? Yeah. Is my voice alone almost meaningless in a voting booth? Yeah. Can we still all get together and change a constitutional republic? Yeah. Especially if we don't elect demagogues who pledge allegiance to the corporations....

I do agree w/ your stmt.s DJ... would add a plug for Ursula K. LeGuin's "Dispossessed" re the rejection of lifetime civil servants... W/ a nod or N to Robert Anson Heinlein for his correlated points of view. Oh: [en.wikipedia.org]

Of course the obvious difference is that one supports government and the other church. Your comparison point is taken. At least with modern society, you won't be thrown in jail for not tithing. I know secretly some church leaders are saddened by their lack of leverage.

Heeee! My Mormon (I still blame the Osmonds) sis says that there IS an accounting there for "giving". Cheers Mike.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12496
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.