37 22

Complaining.

Are you conscious of how often you complain and do you actively work to complain less?

How does it feel when you’re around people who complain excessively?

I have a lot to complain about, legitimate tragedy and corruption directly related to my being disabled, and all the hardship that comes with that.
I talk about it, but I think I’m pretty conscious about not flooding my friends and peer circles with it.
I’m steadily trying to distract myself with the more positive aspects of life.
I consciously look for that which feels good to focus on, and I try to maintain some sort of balance.

It’s difficult for me to be in the company of people who habitually talk/write about menial struggles, issues that have solutions, though I recognize it’s all relative.

By AMGT
Options Favorite Like

37 comments

the constant complainer can add me to the list of things to complain about because I'll get tired of listening pretty quick. someone who talks about difficulties is one thing, someone who whines about the trivial is another. 😊🥞

hankster Level 8 July 9, 2018

I might go out and complain about some complainers to thier face. if it works I won't have to listen to them complain anymore.

I'm not a complainer. And I don't have much appetite for a ton of somebody else's. There's just more interesting stuff to talk about.

skado Level 8 July 9, 2018

I do not complain. I admire those who don't.
We all have struggles, some more than others. Saying that sounds trivial, but that's not what I mean.

If someone needs help, I will listen and offer assistance. If someone's just complaining, I am less apt to care.

Donotbelieve Level 8 July 9, 2018

Ditto

I don't like being a pin cushion so if I begin to feel like one, I'll pull away from that person, persons or group for a while or permanently, depending on the association. When you have a lot of empathy and compassion you tend to draw people like that. I admire people who own their story and open up about certain struggles in their lives. It helps people relate and I think being vulnerable in that way takes courage. But there are those who constantly complain, and that just brings me down after a while. If I'm involved in a themed site, post, blog, or debate (e.g. politics and/or religion) I consider that different.

VictoriaNotes Level 8 July 9, 2018

As long as I'm on this side of the dirt, there's always reason to be grateful.

RedneckProfessor Level 5 July 9, 2018

Yes, I consciously don't complain (too often). And it's no fun being around a complainer.

AstralSmoke Level 8 July 9, 2018

It is hard to hear because we absorb the complainers negativity but everyone does it from time to time. if you are open to hearing someone trying to help you by lifting the mood or presenting some bright side, then it is easier to deal with. some complainers never want to hear a bright side. those are the worst to be around. i try to be someone i wouldnt mind having to listen to.

elvesbeamout Level 4 July 9, 2018

My daughter taught me to try to look at some positive aspect of any situation. It's not easy, and it doesn't always work, but it's energy invested into something other than complaining. People who always complain tend to blame everyone for their problems and not consider their own part in the path to resolution. People who think like that are never happy. And I do try to steer clear of them. Good on you for looking for the positive in the face of adversity. Not easy. Highly commendable.

zeuser Level 7 July 9, 2018

I will go to all lengths to avoid being around complainers. One of my adult daughters recently said this to me: "My friend keeps telling me how sorry she is that I'm laid up with a bad hip for a few days. She's acting as if it's the end of the world. I told her it's not as though my home is being bombed, I'm being gang raped in the back of a bus, or I have no food for my kids. I'm in a nice suburban home with a full fridge, my bed is comfortable, I have Netflix, and a great husband who is taking good care of me. I'm going to complain about some pain I know will go away in a few days? I get this from you, Mom, and I'm so glad you taught us how to keep things in perspective."

Spudnut Level 6 July 10, 2018

Excellent.

tallguy241 Level 6 July 9, 2018

I have a friend that gave me a great motto. Can complain, choose not to. I think of that often

TheRevjoe Level 6 July 12, 2018

I seldom complain. When I find something distasteful or troublesome enough, I say so, along with the grounds for the statement. That is not a complaint, but an assertion and a search for a solution for the distasteful event or act. I don't complain. I try to cvorrect the problem or leave the situation.

wordywalt Level 8 July 9, 2018

I probably complain more than I recognize. Hell, I work with a guy that complains about everything constantly, so relative to him, my own complaining is minuscule. However, that situation may cloud my own interpretation of any complaining that I may or may not actually do. For example, my level of complaining may be greater than 10 randoms of this site complaining, but I may not recognize that due to the lack of exposure.

NothinnXpreVails Level 8 July 9, 2018

Oh yes, I am well aware of the amount I complain. Not making any effort to stop it. Its one of my hobbies. As my wife says "I wouldn't be happy if I had nothing to complain about"

Geoffrey51 Level 7 July 12, 2018

Me too. One of my few pleasures in life.

Some people accuse me of being negative but a few tell me I'm so good at making humorous complaints that they don't mind. I really don't care very much what people think anymore.

Carin Level 7 July 12, 2018

Yes. I never complain. If you can fix it, fix it. If you can't then complaining about it will rarely help. Now there is a difference between complaining and voicing frustration/venting. I too try to focus on the things I can change and the positive things. I refuse to be a pessimist.

MustardSeed Level 7 July 10, 2018

I have a lot of compassion for complainers, having been one myself. Usually people who complain are overwhelmed by lots of fears and things that are not in their control. I've been able to let go and focus on the things that are important and try not to worry about the little things. A lot of things I've come to understand have their own way of working out.

bleurowz Level 8 July 10, 2018

You sound like a nice person.

@Carin I try. Not always.

I think this is the key. Understanding how pain is relative frames the narrative and makes it easier to digest.

The problems start however, when some people, who instead of wanting better for themselves, insist on everyone else suffering more. Those types are easy to spot.

Ellatynemouth Level 8 July 10, 2018

Sometimes people complain about little things maybe bc it feels safer or just where their focus is at that moment. anyway, lots of star outside tonight smile001.gif

thinkwithme Level 6 July 9, 2018

I complain a lot about people that complain a lot. Aren't they just the worst?

Anonbene Level 7 July 9, 2018

I rarely complain because nobody is interested.

JanGarber Level 7 July 9, 2018

I have been known to complain and honestly I don't even know if do it. I have tried different approaches to trying to at least recognize that I am doing it. It's is a habit and hard one to break at that.
I always want the people who I spend most of my time with to point out when it is happening. But instead they either get tired of it or just wash their hands to me.
So as with other parts of my life, I chose to isolate from the world because I don't want to subject people to this.
I guess for me it have no idea if I complain excessively or average. I think people complain about all kinds of things. I don't know if I am different.
But I have been doing my best to refrain from gossip this by means of just not talking to people who are behaving that way. I find it easier to just be on my own and be okay with that.
I think this results in my loneliness and my inability to find a place to settle in. I figure if I keep moving forward, that part will never catch up.
Not really working well.

Akfishlady Level 8 July 9, 2018

I try to only complain when it can directly affect a future outcome. For example, I am getting shitty service or I don't like what my elected officials are doing. Any other complaining is disempowering not only to you, but the others around you. I have people like this if at all possible.

TonyMacaroni Level 6 July 9, 2018

I would like to think that I am conscious, however that's for everyone else to say

IamNobody Level 8 July 10, 2018

You read as conscious to me smile001.gif

For the past two days, I've been trying to think of something insightful or humorous to say in response to you post, but I've got nothing. I do, however, feel for you and your quest to hunt dandelions.

TheAstroChuck Level 7 July 10, 2018

Your kindness is always enough, Chuck. You are a dandelion.

@AMGT Cool. Now I can tell my friends. smile002.gif

@TheAstroChuck
Hahahahahahaa yes yes, run along. You’ve got bragging rights smile009.gif

Write Comment
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer
  • Agnostic.comis the largest non-profit community for atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics and others happy without religion!