Agnostic.com

56 12

Overweight shows weakness?

So I got into almost an argument with family members when the subject of health came up. They actually made the remark to say that the true strong people are the ones who never allowed themselves to gain weight to become overweight to begin with and that people overweight are only strong minded to do something about it. Like, really? That’s completely unrealistic because sometime life happens and the individual have no choice but to automatically gain weight. I thought what this person said was just plain pointless and stupid. What do any of you think?

EmeraldJewel 7 July 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

56 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There are many different reasons for a person to be overweight. People shouldn't judge so harshly. Weightloss also doesn't happen over night. When someone is actually eating right and exercising they may still be overweight and yet more healthy than the average. Everyone is different and that should be celebrated.

Gaining weight is so easy.
Losing weight is so hard.

doesn't show strength [ depending on how many times ones supposed body weight one sits at]

I am strong in nearly every way, except chocolate and other delicious sweets. Then I become as weak as a kitten. They taste so good. When I was young, I stayed thin, but now that I'm old, I guess my metabolism crapped out and I am now fat.

Even as someone who has battled weight all my life, I don't disagree with them.

Genetics play a huge roll in determining how likely it is that we are over weight. Our ancestors just stored fat more efficiently than those of thin people Skinny people are lucky to even be alive. If society ever crumbles we will see who has the last laugh.

This person clearly has no grasp of biology or physiology. Not everyone is supposed to be skinny and our definitions of overweight/obese are flawed at best, toxic at worst, and culturally and ethnically skewed regardless.

There is an unfortunately common stigma that weight is an indication of virtue. Our society has the same stigma about poverty. Both ignore many relavent factors in order to assign a label of good or bad to strangers.

You always have a choice. It's a question is if you have an approach to be effective.

People tend to be the most self righteous about the vices that don't appeal to them.

The classic argument of someone who has never been overweight. There are a million reasons why a person might be overweight and not a single one of them is helped by being fat shamed. Skinny doesn't necessarily equal healthy.

GwenC Level 7 July 10, 2018

Maybe it is just a glandular condition.

One's Metabolism changes as we age. You can eat and excercise the exact same amount and still gain weight if your matabolic rate shifts even a little. Extreme stress can also trigger weight gain. Self discipline can only prevent so much.

I can only add... there's no connection between "moral strength and willpower" and your weight. Be as "strong" as you like, if your body doesn't cooperate, too bad.

You were spot on. Also, their body shaming of over weight people only makes things worse.

Genes play a big role. I am part sioux and most native americans gain weight under euro food. Suger base and such. I am handicap now so hard to work out. Even when i was doing 10 mile bike rides and hour walks i was over weight. Seems my old punk rock days caught up to me

As a person who has struggled with their weight and associated depression as a result I have to partially agree that alot of overweight people, including myself can lose weight which I did 140 pounds actually although it's gone up and down, with a high degree of consistent self discipline. I'm of the strong belief that the health issues and consequential obesity of most unhealthily overweight people is being caused by our commercialized American diet and misconceptions on what is actually healthy for us as a species to be consuming, science dictates the obvious ways to be healthy and still eat quite a lot, the part that I agree with is that it takes a ton of mental fortitude to follow a regimen and make it a lifestyle that. Is sustainable long term, now I know I'm gonna hear from all the women who want to claim it's their thyroid poo poo on me but how did it get screwed up to begin with? Nobodies born that way, it's a symptom of processed American food same as diabetes, and reversible, if you really want to but we aren't willing, I myself get depressed, when no one else cares why should I deny myself the enjoyment of this or that or whatever it is you like to stuff down. Even though I know what it takes cause I've done it, mental fortitude is tough to keep up. So yes I think they have a bit of a point.

I've been this basic body shape since I was 5 years old. The story goes that my mum went into hospital for a few weeks, dropped a thin kid off with my grandparents and picked up a fat kid a few weeks later. I'm not sure how much truth there is in that, but I don't ever remember being thin. My situation is somewhat different to someone who was a normal body weight until they started to develop middle aged spread.

Self-control? Most of the thin people I know still smoke. Harming not just themselves, but those around them. Only when you have absolutely no vices (eating too much, drinking, smoking, taking drugs) should you consider yourself to have the right to be patronising to those who do.

And yes, it's quite clear that some people can eat what they want, do little to no exercise, and still stay close to their ideal body weight. There's definitely a genetic factor in this.

Perhaps back in the days when most work was physical, being overweight was an indicator of laziness. But a lot of people do non-physical jobs these days (desk work, driving etc.) still making them a much more productive member of society than a thin person who spends all day watching television at the taxpayer's expense.

Most prejudices are slowly falling into the realms of political incorrectness, if not outright illegality. You can't pick on people for their sexuality or the colour of their skin these days. But I think 'fat = lazy' and 'fat = disgusting' are going to be the most difficult ones to kick. Though reading the comments on here already, there's hope. Thank you for being so positive.

That there are a lot of stupid pointless people in the world?

I did also want to add that every other single member of my family is morbidly obese does my family have a genetic propensity toward being fat absolutely does that mean that I have to be fat absolutely not

The other thing that people who are very overweight have a tendency to get their feelings hurt over is the fact that people say they're not attractive on The evolutionary level we have evolved to be attracted to mates that are healthy looking this is to ensure the survival of the species

If not caused by medical conditions being overweight is just a matter of poor choices.
Energy used=<energy consumed.
I lost 50# using no diet just considering better choices for food.

Skinny women, like a sack of bones... are weak... too weak... they fall, they break a bone... so what is your point?

Your peeps are being simplistic dimbulbs, that's what I think.

My wife gained (and lost) about 60 pounds on her small frame over the past decade and it wasn't weakness, it was suffering. Ironically, largely inflicted by her family of origin, which she is finally making a mental break from. Me or anyone else riding her about it wouldn't have helped, and shaming her about it definitely would have made it worse, given that her issues were largely shame-based to begin with. She had to save herself and I had to give her the space to do so.

Obesity, depression, anxiety, OCD, addiction issues ... our society does its best to kick people when they're down with things like that. While largely being the catalyst, if not the cause to begin with.

For myself a part of the 30 extra pounds I have is from failing to stick to a healthier diet. I have given up a lot of bad things; soda, caffeine, cigarettes, and I've never drank so my last vice is sweets; just can't stop lol. For me yes I consider it MY weakness and I don't like being where I am in my weight.

I don't consider it everyones weakness though because I understand that each one of us is different.

Like you have said people have life events, there are also medical issues, or even genetics that could add to the problem.

I do feel that its best to do my best to keep from getting any bigger, because that's what's best for me. I would recommend that everyone try to strive to stay healthy or get to what's healthy for yourself.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:127793
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.