58 11

How many of you pronounce the "t" in often?

I don't and when I hear it, it always sounds odd..

By stomato
Options Favorite Like

58 comments

I don't. My partly British education is to blame!
But instead of ..not often...i say seldom which you don't here that often anymore.

Tommy19 Level 5 July 13, 2018

I just love how a very simple question like this, on this site gets people talking. I very often (offen) bypass all the super serious stuff that's posted. I respect them very much, but I like to keep things lite. We don't always have to be so serious. And that's one of the many things I like about this website!

stomato Level 6 July 12, 2018

I had to say it a few times and think about it.
I think I do pronounce the "T" in often.
But I also pronounce the "L" in solder.
Sometimes I even pronounce the "K" in knife.

scurry Level 7 July 12, 2018

Okay, the knife thing is a little weird!! Hahaha!

@stomato lol. I only do it around certain people. πŸ˜‰

I do.

KelseyScott Level 3 July 12, 2018

I think "offen" sounds weird. The T isn't silent.

JimG Level 7 July 12, 2018

I don't even pronounce the "f"

BeerAndWine Level 6 July 12, 2018

Being British I didn't even notice this was a thing until I said it out loud a few times. Yes, I pronounce the T.... I also pronounce the H in Herbs and I even still throw an imaginary R in Tomato. tom-A-toe just doesn't sound right when I say it πŸ€ͺ

Hazydays Level 6 July 12, 2018

Sometimes. As with some of our other odd regional colloquialisms, pronunciation depends on usage. Example? Cuyahoga is pronounced Cuy-a-HOE-ga in reference to the county, but Cuy-a-HOG-a for the river. A lot of the time we do leave out the tees in words though. Another example, the city of Mentor is pronounced Menner.

PeppermintDreads Level 7 July 12, 2018

In and around Philly we do not say the letter t in some words but do in others. Like in water...wa-der. This is wrong but hey, what do you do? I think I leave out the t in often but that is why.

Phillydrl Level 6 July 12, 2018

I pronounce the "t" in "often." I also say "fewer" when referring to a smaller number of things, and "less" in reference to a smaller amount of something. I pronounce nuclear NEW-CLEE-ARE, unlike Bush II, whose won't it was to say NOOK-YOU-LAR, which is fine if you are only 5 years old or an adult hillbilly, but totally unacceptable if you are POTUS. I found it extremely funny that many of 43's Republican compatriots took to mispronouncing "nuclear" on purpose, apparently to normalize what was obviously wrong simply to show political solidarity. I see the same kind of thing happening today. Republicans normalizing and/or approving of 45's wacko behavior, aiding and abetting the covering up of his criminal acts, merely for political expediency. Unfortunately, mispronunciations and bad grammar are the least of our worries right now.

Flyingsaucesir Level 6 July 12, 2018

I do

AndrewDavis Level 2 July 12, 2018

No, but I have a rich local accent, and round ere we wudent say offen anyroad, we'd say much.

Aubz Level 2 July 12, 2018

I don't

Sensiwoman7 Level 5 July 12, 2018

Always.

SkotlandSkye Level 7 July 12, 2018

Nope, i don't.

moonmaid Level 7 July 12, 2018

Very seltdom.

Secretguy Level 6 July 12, 2018

I do. It's just proper english pronounciation.

Plus, how is someone going to justify that they are speaking when they are not doing it with clarity? Speaking a language is necessarily to precisely speak that language.

DZhukovin Level 7 July 12, 2018

I often do.

Science-guy Level 7 July 12, 2018

We stopped pronouncing it over here because the high tax made it too expensive.

Silver1wun Level 7 July 12, 2018

Always. But then, I'm British.

Jnei Level 8 July 12, 2018

It's not too late to go back to speaking pure and proper English smile009.gif

@DZhukovin I speak RP - so it probably is too late for me!

@Jnei

Haha yup

I don’t pronounce the t.

Hermit Level 7 July 12, 2018

I "often" do, tho I try to keep the 't' soft. That would be near impossible if it wasn't paired with an 'f'!

phxbillcee Level 9 July 12, 2018

The 't' in often is silent like the second 'm' is silent in Mormon. smile007.gif

evidentialist Level 8 July 12, 2018

Nope I don't use the T - and I always kind of wonder when someone does? lol

RavenCT Level 8 July 12, 2018

I do.

KCjoe108 Level 5 July 12, 2018
Write Comment
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer
  • Agnostic.com is a non-profit community for atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics and others happy without religion!