Agnostic.com

46 8

How many of you pronounce the "t" in often?

I don't and when I hear it, it always sounds odd..

stomato 6 July 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

46 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I often do.

Not often.

The 't' in often is silent like the second 'm' is silent in Mormon. 😛

I always have, I was just brought up that way.

But the one that gets me in a bunch is when people pronounce the word aunt, as ant. that drives me nuts.

In my part of the world, Iowa and the midwest, it was pronounced ant and I never heard it pronounced otherwise until I was in my twenties and doing some traveling.

I've always said "ant." Idaho as a young child; California as a teen. I don't like "ont."

Raises hand.

Also the th in clothes, et cetera.

I’m weird about enunciation.

Being British I didn't even notice this was a thing until I said it out loud a few times. Yes, I pronounce the T.... I also pronounce the H in Herbs and I even still throw an imaginary R in Tomato. tom-A-toe just doesn't sound right when I say it ?

We stopped pronouncing it over here because the high tax made it too expensive.

Always. But then, I'm British.

Jnei Level 8 July 12, 2018

It's not too late to go back to speaking pure and proper English 😉

@DZhukovin I speak RP - so it probably is too late for me!

@Jnei

Haha yup

I just love how a very simple question like this, on this site gets people talking. I very often (offen) bypass all the super serious stuff that's posted. I respect them very much, but I like to keep things lite. We don't always have to be so serious. And that's one of the many things I like about this website!

I don’t pronounce the t.

Hermit Level 7 July 12, 2018

I "often" do, tho I try to keep the 't' soft. That would be near impossible if it wasn't paired with an 'f'!

The ‘t’ is silent. Like the ‘P’ in swimming.

Off-ten

I always do. Every time.

So, Often?

I had to say it a few times and think about it.
I think I do pronounce the "T" in often.
But I also pronounce the "L" in solder.
Sometimes I even pronounce the "K" in knife.

scurry Level 9 July 12, 2018

Okay, the knife thing is a little weird!! Hahaha!

@stomato lol. I only do it around certain people. ?

I think "offen" sounds weird. The T isn't silent.

JimG Level 8 July 12, 2018

I pronounce the "t" in "often." I also say "fewer" when referring to a smaller number of things, and "less" in reference to a smaller amount of something. I pronounce nuclear NEW-CLEE-ARE, unlike Bush II, whose won't it was to say NOOK-YOU-LAR, which is fine if you are only 5 years old or an adult hillbilly, but totally unacceptable if you are POTUS. I found it extremely funny that many of 43's Republican compatriots took to mispronouncing "nuclear" on purpose, apparently to normalize what was obviously wrong simply to show political solidarity. I see the same kind of thing happening today. Republicans normalizing and/or approving of 45's wacko behavior, aiding and abetting the covering up of his criminal acts, merely for political expediency. Unfortunately, mispronunciations and bad grammar are the least of our worries right now.

Nope I don't use the T - and I always kind of wonder when someone does? lol

I do.

I do. And I’m from the south. Lol

I do.

It's a regional thing and I presume corresponds with the local accent. I'm in UK and it wouldn't have ever crossed my mind to say often with a silent t! I mustve heard it like that on TV etc but never noticed.

Salo Level 7 July 11, 2018

I'm not so sure it's a regional thing. I have never pronounced the 't', but my daughter does. It really bugs me that she does, too! Hahaha! Her reason when I asked her, "because there's a 't' in it." I didn't ask her at the time how she pronounces 'herbs'!! Haha!

Always.

Bryan Level 5 July 11, 2018

Right here.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:128610
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.