Agnostic.com

35 4

What should one do when asked to tell the truth so help you god?

I recently had to go to traffic court and had to start a payment plan for my ticket which requires a hearing.Mind you this is small town."god"fearing.

#god
Nogodnohate 5 Jan 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments (26 - 35)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Tell the truth. Let them know you'll swear on the constitution. OR inform ahead of time that you don't believe in god.

I thought that courts would let a person 'affirm' rather than 'swear in'....?

Don't you have a choice in America? I used to be a magistrate and we very rarely had people swear on a bible (much more often on a koran!), but most people just read out that they'd tell the truth.

I would respond, "I tell the truth without any outside help."

You are are there swearing the truth, why start out with a lie. I think "so help me god" should be replaced with "under penalty of perjury".

You say which one? It gets funny after that. If you want to be one that fits in with the crowd then leave the funny stuff at home.

Tell the truth. They put the godliness and placing the hand on the bible thing all over the world. Just be a good human and tell the truth and ignore the religious mumbojumbo.

Sacha Level 7 Jan 5, 2018

Done!

Tell the truth about one's belief?

@bingst The truth about if she was speeding or went through a redlight, or whatever you go to traffic court for.

What choice do you have? To lie? If you're secure enough in your non-belief then none of it should really bother you.

We can't force other people to see things the way we do. In fact, we shouldn't want to. That would be rather selfish of us.

Tell the truth.

Always! Lying complicates lives

The truth about one's beliefs?

Meh. I'd just tell the truth. It is what it is.

Duke Level 8 Jan 5, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12952
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.