Agnostic.com

32 0

Do you like Christan music?

I am an ex Christan and I really loved listening to christian music to get me through hard times. I definitely will always appreciate the feel good vibes I got after a few songs. Did you ever listen to Christan music and if so do you still listen to certain songs or artists? I love Jeremy Camps voice lol The songs I still love no matter what are The Struggle by 10th Ave North, We Wont be Shaken by Building 429, and Oceans by Hillsong United. What about you?

• 14 votes
  • 35 votes
Cosmicowl_73 7 Jan 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I can't stand the Pat Boone sort of crap, but Gospel singing can be fantastic despite the nonsense that they are singing about. This is Billy Connolys opinion on Christian Rock.

Not anymore. It just reminds of a day of frustration and uneasiness. I do like amazing Grace on the bagpipes. I kind of cried the first time I heard it in 72. It touched me.

I can’t even stand going to Church, let alone liking Christian music.

I like the buildings and would love to make a house out of one

There is a G-rated comedian (honest) who does a routine about religious music. Here's a link. He is funny. (Mike Birbiglio)

I like Birbigs a lot. I've heard this bit before, but not this particular version. Thanks for sharing.

Does Christmas music count? 😀

I do still like Christmas music.

The only exception from my personal dislike of xtian music is the sound track for "jesus christ superstar" movie I saw as a kid. My parents had the album and so I find myself humming or whistleing it too often.

No...it's all terrible

If I must listen to it, I prefer instrumental versions only.

I don't go out of my way to listen to Christian music, but if it were to happen to come on the radio and has good metal feel without an overtly "Christian" (God or Jesus every other word) element, then yeah. Hell, I might sing along.

Gohan Level 7 Jan 6, 2018

Christian music is about all I listened to for 20ish years. Giving up my faith was very hard for me, and I can't listen to Christian music without getting sad or even crying at times. Too many painful memories.

I've had to spend a lot of time this year finding new music to listen to. P.S. I'm always open to suggestions, as long as it isn't Country.

PPS: Have you realized that "Oceans" is crying out to God to make your life harder so that you can trust him better? Pretty messed up, IMHO, and I thought that even when I was still a Christain.

Try L. Cohen it is not depressing if you really listen and although peppered with religious imagery. It has lots of sex in it too. Great for a date, Barry White for sensitive chicks lol

I like music. Christian or not.

I love all kinds of music if it’s quality, though even when I was a Christian, I never listened to it as any kind of affirmation of faith or anything; it was simply aesthetic. If I liked it, I rocked it and if not, then I didn’t.
Not necessarily into gospel for example, but sometimes I enjoy the rich, dense, and powerful (if not really complex) harmonies. Contemporary Christian (ie what you’ll here on the radio stations) is absolute garbage. The blandest, tamest, most uninspired music I’ve ever heard in my life. I imagine eating cardboard would be more exciting.
I’ve always enjoyed Christian Hip Hop when it’s good. Grits’ Dichotomy A had some bangers on it. Phanatik, though completely over the top with his preachiness, could hold his own lyrically with almost any of his contemporaries. Lecrae, though not flawless in the consistency department, can be amazing at times, and he isn’t aggressive about proselytizing. Most Hip Hop has some kind of relationship with either Christianity or Islam, so I guess I’m used to it. But as a lover of music, I can often look past the message, or at least take it with a grain of salt. It’s possible that Hip Hop has helped in that department too.

Most of it is for lack of a better term ...God Awful!

I saw Lifehouse 14x. They meant the world to me, and then my musical preferences diverged elsewhere. They didn't identify as a Christian band per se, but I think the faith of the lead singer, Jason Wade, lent a lot of allegory to the music. I really admired his passion, vocals, and deep songwriting.

I like Casting Crowns and Skillet. I sometimes listen to some christian music from the 80s: Petra, Michael W. Smith, & Sweet Comfort Band.

Christian gospel music is the first of many things to make me realize that I don't fit in with any group who would listen to it. I think I was 6 or 7 when it really started bothering me, being so conceited and smarmy about how only they were good and everyone else was bad. It makes me sick to think about.

I don't mind some Christmas music.

There’s a compilation I picked up several years ago called “Good God! A Gospel Funk Hymnal.” I don’t care what it’s about. It’s just great music.

[open.spotify.com]

Most Christians I know don't even like Christian music. Unless we're talking about classical music commissioned by the church, but in terms of most contemporary music it's like nails on a chalkboard to me.

I used to like gospel music but now it just makes me embarrassed that black americans have such short memories.

I really can't vote on this lol. I apparently like a lot of songs from christian rock bands, but since my experience with them was always of songs that could be interpreted as...well, non-delusional love, I didnt even know some of them were. Was a little disappointed with some of them xD

One of my favorite memories of home is the sound of bagpipes playing Amazing Grace wafting up through the Niagara Gorge. It would be kaw that Amazing Grace never be sung (totally ruins it) and must only be played on bagpipes...as intended!????

I of course, impart no religious significance to the song.

I don't care for the majority of the modern stuff, but I like the classics: Bach, Handel, the Gregorian Chants, and a lot of the traditional hymns. Martin Luther may have been an anti-Semitic bag of crap who hated the common people, but his "A Mighty Fortress is Our God" is a stirring song. The modern pop Christian stuff seems to be trying too hard to fit in, but a lot of black Pentecostal music is enjoyable. It makes me want to dance.

Many of the christian influenced works from the middle ages are, of course, timeless. However, much of the christian pop and rock of today is simply a faded carbon copy of its already mediocre (at best) source material.

I despise some Christian music but there are some gospel songs when performed by Little Richard and a few others just simply rock, they get me singing along tapping my feet, even boogying around my kitchen while I cook. Good music is good music.

Dav87 Level 6 Jan 6, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13072
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.