Agnostic.com

119 15

Sin or not, if yes, why?

Why does every religious person say masturbation is a sin when there's noting written about it in the Bible and why would it be a sin if God designed me like this (so I have cravings) and also God gave me the possibility of pleasure? Answer this

Manka77 4 July 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

119 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There is some reasoning behind it.

If treated sacredly, i would say it is not "missing the mark".

I don't have the mind right now to break down my understanding.. just look at how it affects the brain and its circuitry.. it can ruin your reward response and keep you stagnent in life

I would argue that since sin is defined as an offense against god, it is impossible for anyone to sin, especially a bunch of atheists.

It’s just another way for religion to control people. There’s nothing wrong with it. It’s natural and healthy.

Sorry but I did not realize agnostics believed in sin. You truly seem concerned about this. I'm hoping you are not riddled with guilt and shame. The answer is simple. Remove the word sin from your entire life. The condition of sin is a construct of human clerics designed to be imposed on ignorant populations as a tool for maintaining their submission and intensify the clerics power.

Sin is imaginary just god other religious bs. They use "sin" during brain washing ceromonies(church services) to keep you in line. I'm glad I left the religious bs to be an happier and peaceful person.

If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothin.

Only in religious thinking so as to control the masses, does sin exist. The glory of masturbation. Thankfully I never feel bad about pleasuring myself. Do get tired of adding batteries to the dump the.......?

You can probably guess. Even thinking certain things are crimes under the Bible and Quran.
"Impure thoughts". What exactly is impure is up to the interpretation of the passages in the books.
Anyway, wrong or bad in a lot of cultures is linked to harm. Physical harm, not imagined.
Anyone of any age should feel obliged to explore their own body. We were all born with them.
Sin and wrongdoing as Biblically pertaining to human behavior is something to be left in studies and text books for seminaries.

Young lady, you do, think, feel, sing, WHATEVER.. that you feel good with. Seeking happiness is often claimed yet rarely attained.

I don't believe in sin. Sin is when you're having fun and someone wants to have the power to take away your fun. If it doesn't hurt anyone else it is fine by me.

I no longer worry about a book that is saturarted with contradictions and has god doing 99% of the evil...

It is just another attempt by those who hold religious power to use the fear of punishment by a god to maintain control over the masses.

Because it's just a scare tactic to make you feel guilty and ashamed. There is nothing wrong with you masturbating.

It's just a way to maintain power over people. All the BS religious rules are for the powerful to control the 'powerless". Ignore them and go have your fun!

First explain to me what a sin even is. Then I might be able to answer the question. In the meantime, don't enter my room without knocking first . . .

Sin isn't a problem for atheists. You can safely not worry about it. Pleasure away

Sin is a human idea. Morals are decided by the majority. So its easier fkr a church to control what is morally correct as most people will listen to somebody who is "gods chosen"
That allows for things like smoking pot and being gay to be a sin. When smoking cigarettes and having sex with a 9 year old morally correct in certai Religions. Its pure insanity by which we decide to ourselves if we are right.

Then again, each ejaculation has between 100 and 500 million sperm. Perhaps losing a few million is not much of a problem.

Source:

Huffington post 1/20/2013

As communal animals, anything that upset the well being of the community became a sin. It's natural that killing, stealing, lying, and cheating became a sin in communal societies since these actions threatened the well being of the society and that truth telling, loyalty, and fidelity became valued as they reenforced the well being. Onanism in a traditional pre industrial society with high infant mortality and high levels of inter tribal conflict would have been considered a sin as it would be perceived as a threat to the well being of the society since that individual chose to spill his seed on the ground rather than use it as nature intended and produce another human that could take on the challenge of surviving. In a modern society the stakes are much much lower therefore it is no longer a concern. In fact some may consider it a threat to our well being. Perhaps, given 3 or 4 hundred years of low birth rates, it could become a sin once again.
BTW, sin is considered connotative of religion. For me, it's just short hand for 'wrong doing'.

They're in denial.

The Bible and other religions that say masturbation is a sin do so because they think it's selfish. They are correct that it's selfish, but that doesn't make it bad. Look at the Saints of the Catholic Church. How many of them are depicted with smiles? None. Suffering is the ideal in Christianity. Mother Teresa is their ideal. Someone who spent their life in misery, sacrificing herself for others. Christianity holds that sex is only for procreation, not enjoyment. It is a sick doctrine. Many of our modern ideas of sacrifice as the moral good came from Christianity and are also sick.

Sin? What is sin?

It's not a sin. Joy is our birth-right, just ask any autonomous nervous system.

There is no answer to the idiotic gawd assumptions. ...learn Atheism critical thinking while jerking off. ...belief is your first error. ...know thyself. ...27 centuries of Greek Materialist wisdom....and Onan "spilled his seed on the ground" instead of fucking his brother's widow....only Atheists READ bibles. ...believers only FONDLE a few pages

Pratchett expressed the sentiment that sin is when you love things and use people. Right living means loving people and using things.

No sky daddy or hairy thunderer or cosmic muffin required.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:135284
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.