Agnostic.com

13 4

2018 Facebook Purge

Howdy folks! So I started a purge this year on my Facebook by deleting people I don't talk to anymore. Then it turned into a purge of people who post religious and pseudo-science bullshit and now it's kinda trending amongst my friends. Some of my friends call it "the rapture" because I am Jesus and they are the chosen ones. I have removed over 500 people already and counting. Has anyone done this? Join the fun!!

JesusOrtega21 5 Jan 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I try to not collect "friends" such as this. If everyone reduced their list to the few they actually are a friend to you would have a trim and tidy number like me. Social media is so very empty to have achieved its apparent importance.

Since agnostic.com I don't need facebook. FB is my fake account for IRS, ex GFs, my children and ex wife to check on me.

have 68 friends and family in my friend list. I only have 16 people that see any of my posts. I block or unfollow people who continuously post things I don’t want to see.

Just as in real life, I only surround myself with people I can stand.

I do have another fb account, where I have a hundred acquaintances or so. But it’s for my cosplay community and random people interface.

I don’t understand why people need to befriend every request or person they know.

You, too? Can’t say I had that many ‘friends,’ though have recently turned off the feed from a number of them. So repetitive… daily affirmations? If it’s necessary to post 3 a day, isn’t it obvious they’re not working? Pets… holly crap.. Merry Christmass and bless this.. and that… Fuck that! Even the political stuff, yes, trump’s a F-n nutcase … so much so - I don’t want to even look at him! ..and food..? Then a vacation boast.. And the gun nut…

Yah, they’re free to turn off my feed, too… most are ‘friends,’ as in people I’ve actually met, and might like to see again. ok ...thank you, I feel better already 🙂

Varn Level 8 Jan 11, 2018

mine started with the 2016 elections and continues

I'd have to add 400 friends to be able to remove 500!
I fortunately don't have many fb friends who are overly religious. Most are friends from Michigan or non-religious friends I've met in SC. (I don't fb with work friends or neighbors.) It's easy enough to scroll past the occasional prayer request or religious post. And like someone else here said, I follow plenty of pages focused on my interests to fill my feed.

dkp93 Level 8 Jan 8, 2018

I'd have to add 400 friends to be able to remove 500!
I fortunately don't have many fb friends who are overly religious. Most are friends from Michigan or non-religious friends I've met in SC. (I don't fb with work friends or neighbors.) It's easy enough to scroll past the occasional prayer request or religious post. And like someone else here said, I follow plenty of pages focused on my interests to fill my feed.

dkp93 Level 8 Jan 8, 2018

I am considering a purge. Many Facebook profiles are fake and are there just to get your email address for SPAM.

When it comes to religious posts, I purge the post origins, or block all from the source and keep the "friends", as some of the "friends" posting religious crap are family members. Same for the pseudo science posts.

I only joined Facebook in Feb 2016 after my daughter asked me for the umpteenth time in ten years. I have eight contacts Facebook and they are all people whom I have known for years. I've had many requests from others to add them but I ignore all such requests. When I see that someone has x thousand 'friends' I smile and think it is time he woke up...

Uhm... I at one point when I was in middle school have over 100 people. Most of them I didn't actually know or were friends I made online. I now only have people I have actually met or at least talked to face to face online on my friend's list. Lot of the people I care about are religious. So whoever posts the most I unfollowed but still have as friends. The ones who aren't always posting religious stuff but eventually do I just use the laugh reaction on their comment. LOL

I had over 1200, but mostly people from high school and stuff. There are a bunch I didn't talk to. There is still like another 500 I should remove.

I recently removed a new friend who ended up being a trumpster.

Yep! I deleted any that I could without causing a fuss and set 75% of the rest to not follow (preachy and political people). I also joined/follow numerous agnostic, science, and humor pages which floods my page with upbeat material. So far, so good!

Zster Level 8 Jan 8, 2018

OK, I like it, I have less than 50, last year I did delete a friend of over 50 years because of her religious crap.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13559
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.