Agnostic.com

35 6

Does it matter anymore who makes the first move?

As a heterosexual female, I sometimes feel like men are either intimidated or turned off when I make the first move. But does that even matter anymore in this day and age? Do men still feel obligated to make first contact? Is this question applicable in the LGBTQ community?

BeeHappy 9 Jan 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments (26 - 35)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Never did; depends solely on the interpretation of the receiver.

mzee Level 7 Jan 8, 2018

Tight accounting in matters of the heart is of little use, but over the long haul, granting space for reciprocity allows authentic balance to emerge, if there is potential for it.

skado Level 9 Jan 8, 2018

I don't think it matters

No. Not to me anyway. Of course, I am a gay man.

I think too many straight men base their masculinity (and self esteem) on leading and dominance. For such men it probably matters.

In today's me too culture I am a the point where there won't be a move unless she makes it. Of course I work in Hollywood and the Weinstein scandal has the entire town on edge in town.
In the past it never bothered me cause in my life looking back it's been about 50/50 for me and I've never had a problem with it.

If the feelings mutual I guess it doesn't matter. If it's not mutual then it's at the least awkward no matter who initiated it.

For me, yes. Mostly cause a face like mine tends to scare the hell out of people. Children flee, women faint, men weep. But if they approach me, they've already acknowledged they're not afraid and I don't have to fear the pitchforks.

Oh my! Lol

I've been out of the dating scene for many years. I too was a shy young man but it seemed like there was no shortage of girls making first contact. In today's world I would be concerned that what I said or did would be misconstrued. I have always been monagamous with the two serious girlfriends I had and with my wife of 45 years.

Oh, and religion was not a factor. I have been an agnostic since I can remember and my wife is same. To me it was a commitment that I made and I would have a hard time forgiving myself for breaking my word.

Hi @BeeHappy
I've just encountered the following article and remembering this thread of yours I thought that everyone may find it interesting in that it opens and reveals frequently hidden perspectives.

[psmag.com]

Yes, interesting article. Even though a few people responding thought I was talking about the first move, in regard to sex, I was actually talking about the first contact either in person or online. The article does raise some valid points, that are often disregarded or laughed off. Thanks for sharing.

I'll make one now. Hi there. Come here often?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13560
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.