Agnostic.com

36 6

At what age did you realize the Earth wasn't flat?

What about gravity? When did you realize that it actually wasn't electromagnetism?

DZhukovin 7 July 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

don't remember always seen movies and shows with globes or space men looking at the world.

Age 4 I guess. What person from this century thinks the world is flat? I thought the world being round is common knowledge, today.

What? It isn't?

Bugger, That's another belief dashed since I joined this site....

Is nothing sacred?

🙂 😉 🙂

I know :/

Great question but I have no idea. We had a set of Encyclopedia Britanica and if I asked a question like that I was often told to look it up. Since I learned to read at an early age I was able to learn a lot from it. It also had fun articles especially for children which helped.

My mother and grandparents probably told me at an early age that the earth was round if I mentioned it being flat. Since they were my authorities on everything I would have taken their word for it. They did not lie to me.

Besides I was a Superman fan and he flew around the earth so of course it was round.

I grew up in West Virginia. The word flat only applied to tires. 😛

I've known it wasn't flat for as long as I can remember.

Coffeo Level 8 July 21, 2018

We had a globe it never came up.

As much flat-earthers can be both funny and frustrating, it is a reminder of a larger, dangerous phenomenon, the my opinions as good as yours school of thought. Expertise matters, and embracing ignorance is not cool. I think of it thusly:

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion. However, your opinion is not entitled to be shared, when based on ignorance or intolerance and it is not equivalent to opinion from an expert.

If you don't think it matters, 62M people voted for Trump.

Your question should be quoted the other way around. "When did I realise that there were people in this day and age who 'believe ' the earth is flat"
I guess it was when I first started watching Utube videos.

I grew up being taught that the world was round I never ever thought that the world was flat

I don't ever remember thinking is was, I wasn't taught that is was and nobody I knew thought it was either.
And if there was any doubt, this can't happen on a flat earth 🙂

ipdg77 Level 8 July 21, 2018

I think I saw a globe, like, always 🙂

Wow. I was never taught the opposite.

Day zero.... like before I was born.

That's not scientifically possible

Probably pretty early. I was an inquisitive little one. I followed space launches and was aware of Mariner 4 and the ranger missions when i was 7 so I certainly understood well by then. I watched a puppet show about rockets as a little kid called "Venus and Steve" as I remember. I don't know how old I was but I knew while watching it that the Earth was spherical and that the moon was another body with a surface. I think I was in 1st grade then but I think I understood that the Earth was round well before then.

The early space program is pretty murky for me. I thought I was aware of Luna 3's first photo of the dark side of the moon but that is not possible as I would have been 2 years old. I followed the Gemini program extensively. Apollo was my early teenage years.

I'm pretty sure I was learning about perspective missions to the moon and how astronaut's might get there before I stopped believing in Santa Claus. I remember spending a Christmas eve with my Great Aunt and reading the book on the moon mission plan and then wondering where Santa was in the sky and if I could see his sleigh while we were driving home.

I think I was smart but very gulible...

I don't know that I ever thought the world was flat, I assume in early elementary school someone showed us a globe. I knew about gravity before electromagnetism. I remember as a child hearing "gravity sucks" after a fall. I had mean brothers.

Don't think I ever thought it was flat. But distortions on a world map always mess me up. Never thought gravity was magnetism. I asked why we were not hurled into space when I was younger.

When Santa Claus told me & took me for a ride. Yes ........LSD

Not sure I ever thought it was. When I was five years old, I got to watch the moon landing (Apollo 11 mission) and return to an obviously spherical earth, complete with splash down.

Zster Level 8 July 20, 2018

Before school age my parents had bought us both a globe and a wall-map. Looking back it was a satire of their religious upbringing, they told us it was for us to decide which was right and left us to it. It might've took a couple of years but I figured out in the end that while a globe was nonsensical and maps quite normal, the ends of the map didn't seem to make sense, the way they magically continued again on the other edge. So I just lost the plot and asked for a giant turtle for xmas.

Salo Level 7 July 20, 2018

Had a lovely globe in my bedroom as a kid. I don't honestly remember thinking of the world as anything other than round.

Well it's not round. It's an irregular oblate spheroid. Maybe it is roughly round in some places, but that's as far as it goes.

Who the hell told you the world is round? I think you were misinformed.

@DZhukovin Well, it was probably just a rounding error.

@DZhukovin Dude, slow your roll - you're coming off as an arrogant prick. You reacted to @kkgator as a drama queen and it isn't enough for you that @seaspot_run knew that the earth wasn't flat - you want to correct her that it's not round. Hell, I didn't even know that the moon wasn't considered a planet until today and that it is instead a natural satellite. I must have missed an email or I had a terrible teacher. Either way, knowing that the earth isn't round but is actually a bumpy spheroid doesn't really impact my life or hers. You've demonstrated your superior intelligence - get over yourself - you're either here to talk or to massage your ego because in your mind - you're just so much smarter than the next person. You're that buzz kill person that we encounter at every party. You asked "At what age did you realize the Earth wasn't flat" both @kkgator and @seaspot_run answered that they never did - stfu and move on.

@seaspot_run

I love that!!! Can I steal it?

@SLBushway

Thank you

@DZhukovin You're welcome!

@Athena I have to steal a better personality? Who did I steal this one from? Setting that stupid sh@t aside - he was acting like an arrogant prick and I don't need to review his history - on the page I visited he was playing the part of a jerk if he doesn't want to be seen that way all he needs to be is consistent. If nothing else, those who have followed my responses know that I'm consistent even if my personality in your mind was borrowed or stolen".

@DZhukovin [i.imgur.com]

I have no memory of ever thinking it was. My biggest like was when my further learning caused me to see that it is an oblate spheroid instead of sphere, yes early educators use that word.

It's not?

Never. Science was really a big deal in school in the 60s.
My father was a science guy. We watched all kinds of TV programs.

So, i never had an opposite view to let go. Same with religion.

JacarC Level 8 July 20, 2018

We had a globe, and I just accepted that as the shape of the world. As a toddler I don’t think I bothered with such thoughts one way or the other.

Never thought the Earth was flat, when we learned that some thought it was flat during the middle ages and before, I remember thinking "How archaic, where did that idea come from?".
I have never thought gravity was electromagnetism, I found out through reading that it was a fundamental force. For a long time I thought electromagnetism had to involve a battery. I learned better.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:135774
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.