Agnostic.com

41 10

How many of you live in the moment as much as possible?

I work to remind myself to actually be aware of where my head is at. I have triggers that remind me to "be in the now" throughout the day. I love the way I am becoming more in control of my thoughts by doing this. Is there anyone else out there who does this? If so, what results have you had?

Dippyhippy 5 July 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

41 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I tried to think of how to comment on this because it means a great deal to me. but alas I just coulden't figure out how to express my thought, so I'll post a meme to something I live by.

a great way live. I am a volunteer and a seeker of knowledge. I travel and teach and love life, being in the now helps so much. Namaste with hugs

I make an effort to live in the moment and try to remind myself to be present when I drift. I fail at it perpetually and I am constantly rewarded with opportunities to correct it.

my trick is. I have "triggers" seeing a yellow vehicle, or washing my hands, or red umbrellas, or having sit at a red light, they are all reminders for me bring my mind back the here and now maybe only takes 5 seconds.... but done a dozen times a day I find it helps me be more aware of my mind and its games. namaste with hugs

I wouldn’t know how to live any other way. I didn’t know how, until I was diagnosed with cancer, now I take each minute as it comes. I don’t look back, and I don’t look past today. Life is easier this way.

it's a sad thing that something as awful as illness should jolt us into a different mindset, if only we knew then what we know now. It"s a true saying that youth is wasted on the youg. We should learn to keep that childish innocence throughout our life and enjoy each moment the way children do. I am happy that you are able to do it now, and I send you hugs

@Dippyhippy Thank you! Yes, it does take a jolt for us to realize what we need, sometimes. The wonderful thing is not missing the joys anymore. Hugs to you too.

I have never been 100% sold on this because I think awareness of context is often important to things like planning and learning from experience. Living in the present is what we software developers call a "peephole optimization". When you optimize for one thing, you are inherently de-optimizing for something else.

That said ... it's a technique I still find surprisingly useful. I think the trick is to be able to put aside the past and the future and not be obsessed with, or overly focused on, either. Too much focus on the past = regret; too little = disconnected from context. Too much focus on the future = anxiety; to little = disorganized.

For me, trading some of that anxiety for a bit of disorganization is a worthwhile pursuit.

Great answer, balance matters ?

Yes the best way forward is have a balance. I do not believe it would be beneficial be always in the moment. We are born experience as much "life" as we can so that"s what I aim do, but without being on "autopilot" Namaste with hugs

I don't wan to sound weird but I don't think I have the capacity not to do that - Its possibly because I have D.I.D - I don't know but I just seem to live seamlessly without thought - I get immersed in what I am doing and that is all there is, like just picking out weeds or watering and my head doesn't seem to run around needing entertainment - I have friends who are the opposite so I understand and not sure which of us is luckier

jacpod Level 8 July 28, 2018

I tried living in the moment once... but the moment passed.

depends on my mental health when its stable yeah i do

weeman Level 7 July 21, 2018

maybe being in the moment is a good way become stable... namaste with hugs

@Dippyhippy no sadly when psychotic episodes hit it means fighting against some truly terrifying thoughts

Can't change yesterday. Living in the past denies yourself a future, live in the now. I have too much to be doing to look back. ?

totally agree Namaste with hugs

I try. It can be hard sometimes because I live in my head so much, but I do pretty well.

so many people live in their head and become complacent there, so much they are on autopilot most of the time. I love my "in the now" moments, To make it less hard and chore-like, I have triggers throughout the day which remind me to stop my mind and be in the now. Works for me, you could give it a try. see some of my other replies. Namaste with hugs

Everyday. Keep my fishing rods in my car. Life is uncertain. Eat desert first. ?

ohhh love it, I will always now eat dessert first, how fab Namaste with hugs

I find my awareness fluctuates, even just when I try to stay aware of the body I seem to drift off after a while. Being aware of the mind and of the emotions is more difficult, and I’ve never yet had a moment where I could be aware of all three. But then that is what meditation is for.

Denker Level 7 July 27, 2018

I have a hard time living in the moment and controlling my thoughts and focus, although it's something I'm working hard on. I want to be more aware of the world around me and learn to spend more time in the now. My problems with mental health often hinder me in these goals, but I try to stay optimistic.

How is it possible to live in the moment? The moment the moment is realized it not a moment. It's the past.

Meditation rocks, it's helped me w a few injuries, PTSD.

What are your triggers/reminders to be in the moment?

Things that trigger me to be in the moment are for example, red traffic light stops, yellow vehicles, spotted dogs, red umbrellas, washing my hands to name a few

Me as much as possible

Me 2 mememememememememememememememememememeememe

@Countrywoman you too then lol

I just joined and am browsing. This caught my attention because I am old and the moment, right now is what I have. Oh, my health is fairly good and I have an excellent medical team to guide me.

Life can be brutal, disappointing and cruel but it can also be joyful, loving and beautiful. I love life and enjoy it but today is all any of us have. My advice to others is embrace life, hold it close because we only have one chance to live so do not waste it.

wonderful words Namaste with hugs

Sorry. What was that? I'd just drifted off. 😉

JimmyM Level 7 July 21, 2018

drifting off is wonderful, as long as your aware you are drifting, mind you I drift off often and go the land of the fairies, that|s also great do

there's all kinds of now.

all kinds of what?

@Dippyhippy all kinds of now...... all kinds of presence

Live in the moment as much as you can. You never know how long your moment will last.

so very true, I love my moments and I love my life... namaste with hugs

Once you pass certain age then you just gotta....

I don't understand what age has do with anything, could you explain?

@Dippyhippy when young, one may not live everyday to the max (live in the moment) because it feels like there is always tomorrow. As one grow old, there is a turning point along the way when it's understood that one cannot afford any longer to waste another day.

If I lose my health care I will be dead in 28 days. So I very much live in the moment...but I do have a goal... and what I want my life to change into.

It's good have goals, enjoy your moments and love the laughter. Namaste with hugs

I've been accused of being "too in the moment"

donnjb Level 4 July 20, 2018

lucky you... would love that comment thrown at me. Namaste with hugs

That is the only thing in front of you and accesible... The Now.

it is indeed. Namaste with hugs

I do an okay job of it I think. Especially when I'm driving and singing along with musicals in the car. I give it 110% lol

fantastic..... namaste with hugs

Not as much as I should. But when I do - it is too the full!

every bit helps, I try a dozen times a day and have triggers remind me. Namaste with hugs

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:135781
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.