Agnostic.com

33 1

Will you help me settle this debate with my friend: can a Christian be a freethinker?

Me and one of my oldest friends were debating this. We're both non-theists, by the way. I don't want to bias the results... so I won't say what side I'm on.

What do you think, can you be both a freethinker and a Christian?

• 23 votes
  • 38 votes
  • 10 votes
silvereyes 8 Jan 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm an ignostic episcopalian. I'm a free thinker. Happy to answer your question for you.

I'm confused, how can you believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ while at the same time claiming it is absurd to even propose to have a conception of god?

@JeffMurray Where did I say I believed in the divinity of Jesus Christ?

@Druvius How exactly are you Episcopalian if you don't?

@JeffMurray The same way anyone joins a church? Was that a trick question?

@Druvius Being a member of a church community is not the same thing as being a member of its faith. Does signing up on an atheist website mean someone is an atheist?

@JeffMurray So now you ate going to define my faith for me. We're done here. God bless. 🙂

@Druvius I'm not defining it, the tenets of faith are. Saying you are two things in an effort to prove those things can coexist (you said you were a freethinker and a Christian) and then backing out and saying that you're not one of the things (not a believer in the divinity of Jesus) is a waste of everyone's time. Plus the "God bless" is pretty non-freethinkery of you...

I'd have to see actual evidence of such a thing. Until then, I'll classify that like a UFO.

@TomasMcCartney Your god is not real to me, neither is anyone else's. Knock yourself out though. LLAP

@TomasMcCartney Okay, first off, I never called you a 'fool', or anything else.
I told you that I do not believe your god is real. As to the UFO story, I do not care.
I'm not interested in your testimony, or your beliefs. Enjoy your day.

I believe you can be. My reasoning is that there are so many of us here (myself included) who were once Christians but, are no longer. Does that by itself make us NOT free thinkers? I consider myself a free thinker and, I think I've always been one. I don't believe I became a free thinker the moment I became an agnostic. I don't believe that I suddenly became one at any specific point in time. But, I guess I would need to know what you define as a "free thinker".

Duke Level 8 Jan 8, 2018

Christian are deeply programed to prepare their whole life, to be saved by Jesus.

They many think they are free and honest. It just burdened of loving God first above everyone and thing. Beside God only laughs at your plans and God does all the thinking for you.

free·think·er
?fr??THiNGk?r/Submit
noun
a person who rejects accepted opinions, especially those concerning religious belief.
synonyms: nonconformist, individualist, independent, maverick; agnostic, atheist, nonbeliever, unbeliever; informalbad boy
"he has been celebrated as a freethinker and a rebel"

@Castlepaloma God is just a convenient way to abdicate responsibility for everything that happens and for everything you do.

@Mandrake981 Even when I considered myself a Christian,I always looked at a lot of things about it differently than those whom I gathered with to study the bullshit. I questioned a lot and didn't really get sensible or believable answers a lot of the time. I challenged the dogma. So, yeah. I would still call myself a free thinker even then.

How are you defining freethinker?

@silvereyes I'm not sure my definition helps in the debate with your friend but, honestly, I think of "freethinker" as sort of a self-aggrandizing term that doesn't really need to exist. I think it's often used as a synonym for various atheistic views, or similarly to "skeptic." I suppose if I have to nail it down, and not fall back to one of those exact definitions, I'd say it's a lack of dogmatic belief and behavior, an openness to new ideas and ways of thinking, and a strong measure of critical reasoning in how one approaches the complexities of life.

I think that one can be a freethinker and think that some sort of god may exist; but, once one buys into a religious belief, no matter what it is, how can they be a freethinker? A freethinker is "a person who rejects accepted opinions, especially those concerning religious belief." Or, as this site defines freethinker, it is one who believes truth comes from logic, reason, and empiricism, rather than religion

I think that christian is easier to say "i believe in God but not the religion surrounding him" or something to that effect. Atleast i am assuming this is the case.

@Neraven : If one does not accept the religion of Christianity (at least some interpretation of Christ) how can one be called a Christian rather than simply a Deist? And, if one equates Jesus as being God, they have bought into religion-based ideas about this person.

Could be a free thinker about anything which isn't related to religion (though there aren't really that many things this would apply to, since an omnipotent god would trump science, and everything is tied together by science)...

I don't think one is a freethinker ABOUT individual things, they are just a freethinker, and it applies to everything.

Aaah, I see...Then I'll change my answer to 'no'....thanx!

I would think of Science as a branch in the tree of life. Don't think God or science as the be all and end all. I feel in the middle of extreme poles of atheist and Religion. When a group gets onesided or extreme, that limits your thinking.

Going by the definition, you cannot. Some have claimed that you can be and that's how they transitioned. I do not believe this to be true. Just because the journey may seem longer than an instant, it's really not. Kind of like being pregnant, whatever your definition of pregnancy is, you are either in that state, or you are not. (e.g. If you consider it to be implantation of a fertilized egg onto the uterine wall, the egg is either implanted, or it is not.) The same is true for being a Christian. There are probably a ton of definitions for it, but I think there is one that makes the most sense: you are a Christian if you believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ. All the other definitions that take into account teachings and practices fail us because they are so vastly different and contradictory. But if you believe Jesus IS God, it bypasses all the other junk. But whatever your definition, it seems as though you either are, or you are not a Christian. Either I believe that god exists and Jesus is that god, or I don't. Let's face it, if you kind of believe or you think he's part god, then you don't believe he's god. And according to the definition of freethinker: "Freethought is a philosophical viewpoint which holds that positions regarding truth should be formed on the basis of logic, reason, and empiricism, rather than authority, tradition, revelation, or other dogma" it cannot coexist with Christian for there can be no belief in the divinity of Jesus that is formed on logic, reason, and empirical data.

@Jeff
The Bible either is the Universal truth and Knowledge or it is a lie. No thinking required, you got the sheep herders guild to the Universe. Why explore or think any more?

Since everyone lies to different degrees, and man wrote the Bible, then the Bible must be a lie.

If the Bible is the be all and end akl. If your God asked you to kill your son or daughter to show your faith. Would you without thinking?. I would kill God before killing my daughter, yet I don't have too, because I can't imagine running out of ideas to kill anyone.

Just look at all the graveyards and tombstones worldwide who died written in the name of God. What were they thinking?

@Castlepaloma I have no idea what your comment is about...

Being a theist and a freethinker seems to be a contradiction.

Definition of freethinker
: a person who thinks freely or independently : one who forms opinions on the basis of reason independently of authority; especially : one who rejects or is skeptical of religious dogma

Many people I Know are Christian by label only; going thru the motions, be it out of habit, family, social or other reasons.

mzee Level 7 Jan 8, 2018

That's just semantics. Am I a Catholic because my mom had me baptized into the Catholic Church, or am I not a Catholic because I do not believe in God or any Catholic/Christian teachings whatsoever?

All religions require adherence to a dogma.

How about the Religion of Dudeism?

With free in mind ultimately a christian has to answer to the higher power and have explanation for their actions. Where as a free thinker can express whatever they want with no fear of consequence.

There are plenty that don't believe in heaven or hell, or that their God is a judging/unfair one. And theres always laws to hold anyone back - for one, not everyone lives where freedom of speech is a thing (and theres definitely a lot of shutdown in the US as is).

Seem a cartoon of the painting of Michelangelo. Take off of God touching a finger with Abam . Rather this cartoonist had God offering a brain to Adam. Adam waved back with his finger, no, no no.

In a a world of infinite possibilities, discarding 1 or 2 or a million makes a small dent in the possibilities to consider. However, the little dent that most of these religions create is specifically important for politics and the treatment of others.

How are you defining Christian? 🙂

skado Level 9 Jan 8, 2018

Depends on who and where you are on what opinions are accepted...but I think so. You can just believe in God and not really follow a lot of the stuff, not really believe the bullshit aspects of it I guess. Or you could follow it pretty much to the letter; thats definitely not very accepted lol. And you can certainly still base truths on logic and evidence and all that and still believe in a god.

Can, but it certainly seems more the exception than the rule.

You can't follow a religion which relies on faith and consider yourself a freethinker. Unless you think a freethinker thinks so freely that anything is possible, which in that case you're still not a Christian because there are no other possibilities than the "word of God"...

some of the smartest , nicest people I know are xians and look at the world much as I do . They just love to be in a group setting . safety in numbers may be their modus operandi.

I’m sorry, but if you’re dedicated to the defense of a select ideology, then you’ll never be a free thinker.

Some people use the label “Christian” but work/behave more in line with freethinking. But as to what these people are, to me that is more like “lost” than freethinking or Cristian.

I'll put it this way, if you've got an evangelical or born again Christian saying "Hey, I'm a free thinker!" then I think you're probably dealing with either delusion or deception there.

Yes.
Just like an atheist, a lack of belief is only one trait in someone's personality. An atheist can have some "unusual" beliefs outside of their atheism. (Ghosts, Bigfoot, Aliens, Etc)

The way I see it, a theist can have other personality traits such as freethinking but for whatever reason(s) they're stuck on god.

I voted yes-cultural Christian?

I have known very dedicated Christians that believed in evolution, so they were outside main stream Christian doctrine. Some were prochoice. I thought of them as free thinkers. I think it is wrong to view all of them in the same light. I have seen secular critical thinking in religious people, and their attraction to religion was to sit in the light of the stained glass and meditate. All of them are not Zealots. I am pretty sure that most of them would not die for their faith.

During the deconversion process, there's overlap. Cognitive dissonance is recognised and acknowledged. Bad theories and beliefs tossed with reticence. It's like - Gee, what if...

But to maintain both in equilibrium is madness.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13759
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.