Agnostic.com

31 6

Tired of the religious US? Where would you want to move to?

The chart shows the percent of the population totals for "not a religious person" and "a convinced atheist" combined for each country. Notice that the US is 30th on the list. Even Israel is less religious (according to the WIN-Gallup International Association (WIN/GIA) poll). Anybody want to go to Sweden or Australia?

Source: [en.wikipedia.org]

AwarenessNow 8 July 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm not going anywhere. As long as I'm here, I'm going to push back against their delusions and influence.

That's one reason why we are where we are with this religious bullshit. Too may people have not said "NO" to the influences of religion in our lives. It's been easier to go along, or move away.
"Live and let live" doesn't work. They were given an inch and they've taken several thousand miles. Enough already.

I really don't want to move ... I'm f’ing tired of moving. Like @lerlo I would prefer that the changes occur here, in this country, rather than feeling the need to leave. And you know, if the United States could produce Robert Green Ingersoll, the 'Great Agnostic' who filled auditoriums in the late 19th century while railing against religion and a belief in gods, it would seem likely that a Renaissance of unbelief awaits. A hopeful plaintive? Perhaps.

The US produced (past tense) a lot of admirable things but look what it's producing now.

Frankly I'm only staying here because I'm old, white, and marginally upper class; I can hold on for another decade or two and they likely won't come for me, even if Trump (or someone worse!) becomes president for life.

And like you ... I'd rather die than move yet again.

The non-religious U.S.?

lerlo Level 8 July 24, 2018

I wonder if anyone has made a map of religiosity hotspots in the country. I’d expect to see a big splash all across the south.

@Denker pretty sure I saw that on CNN once, pretty much is the same Republican area map with some slight variations

Religious beliefs of others doesn't bother me. Half of my extended family is very "Christian" and we get along fine.

None of these places will take in useless Americans, it seems.

I would prefer a country that speaks English and accepts the US Dollar. Other than that anywhere out of this country.

Do we have to move? Can we just travel, instead?

I'm staying. I'd rather fight for change and suffer the consequences. I just saw "Sorry to Bother You" last night, so I'm extra social-justice-y today...

Religion is a world wide infection, unfortunately. We're interested in Central America as a retirement spot.

Plenty of Catholic religion there!

@Geoffrey51 Yep

If I had the nerve (and the money) I'd go to Norway.

Yeah that's my personal fave too. I have the nerve and the money but not the youth or lack of commitments. Changing citizenship is a young person's game for the most part. Many countries give preference to certain professions and age groups. Since I'm an IT worker, I'm good there, but ... most of them don't want someone over 45 coming in and immediately retiring as soon as they have citizenship -- understandably.

@mordant I have those problems as well. I used to work in IT (though I'm retired now) and I have commitments and family here. So there are lots of reasons not to do it.

Any of the Scandinavian countries, but especially Iceland.

I was looking at the possibility of moving to Iceland today and it doesn't sound that difficult.

I will tell you that Norway is just stunning...the trip from Oslo to Bergen is a must...but then again I don't do cold and snow anymore...

I would move to the United Kingdom, only because I don't speak Swedish and I've think it may be hard to learn. I only speak English and Spanish fluently, so England because 'English.'

Sweden or Norway would be pretty cool I guess. Idk I don't know enough about these countries to make an informed decision honestly.

Definitely back to Canada

Switzerland. Direct democracy.

Australia's good. I came here 11 years ago from Englsnd and have never been back. The closest you'll get to religion here in Victoria is the AFL grand final. There is even a public holiday for it!

Wow a public holiday for a sporting event, now that is progress!

@Denker Exsctly. It's only been in place for a couple of years but they do some sort of parade of the teams in the final on the Friday before the match. Another two you'll love and this is typical of the laid back Australian mind set. There's a day off for a horse race! The whole nation stands still for the Melbourne Cup. And this is my personal favourite. Australia is a commonwealth country but doesn't give a damn about British monarchy. But there is a day off for the Queen's birthday. As I say, only in Australia. I love them!

I am fortunate in that I can move back to Australia at any time however, Sweden holds a fascination for me. The down side for me is Sweden's cold weather. Brrrr

If New Zealand didn’t have the slowest internet...

Marz Level 7 July 25, 2018

Is that a problem there?

Current reports are average download speed of 70 mbits / sec which is better than most of the US. And most of their international connectivity comes from Southern Cross Cable, which links west coast US, Hawaii, New Zealand and SE Australia by undersea fiber. Also, they're supposed to have last-mile fiber to most of their residents by 2019. So ... offhand doesn't sound that bad.

Although I'm supposed to leave soon, I've totally enjoyed living in Thailand since 2010. Thai Buddhism is at least half philosophy, with some Hindu mixed in, but Thai Buddhists respect the beliefs of others and typically leave people of other religions alone.

New Zealand or Germany

I'm thinking Galt's Gulch.

It’s interesting Australia is rated where it is. Not to openly dispute but our census data often only lists a quarter of our population as “non-religious”. I think part of the problem is while many may not actively worship they still hold a strong cultural view of being Christian/Jewish/Muslim etc.

That I’ve noticed in policy debate in particular comes up a lot. The undercurrents of cultural religiosity still play out very strongly and rarely takes much of a push to force God or religious values back into social commentary.

Just food for thought.

That’s certainly true over here in the Netherlands as well. Our non-religious rate is about 50% (strange we’re not on the list) but there are a lot of people who say they believe in “something”, and we have a ‘bible belt’ where religious convictions are a lot stronger.

But as you say there is a certain background cultural identity which still holds on pretty strongly to Protestant Christianity in its many forms. People here pride themselves strongly on being able to get along with eachother though, so often efforts are made to be ‘multiculturally inclusive’. Whether that is actually working out well still remains to be seen, it’s a grand experiment and nearly 10% of the country is Muslim.

China is really confusing to me. Go to a totalitarian country just to escape religion. I would go to the San Juan Islands (wait I am already here). Don't have to learn another language, live in a crowded place with lots of noise and a culture that is foreign and air, water and land polluted. Makes no sense to me. There are lots of less religious places in this country.

I think I've settled on Canada or Australia. I don't meet many Canadians (maybe because they live just next door and aren't fooled into traveling here just by our clout).. but I do meet plenty of Aussies. Those who travel or move here, though a self-selected group, on the whole seem pretty dang down to earth and logic oriented.

New Zealand would be acceptable I think.

Thanks for posting this list. I have been pondering the possibility of relocating. Probably not feasible anytime soon but its6great to know what the best options are.

I have a big like of the Scandinavian countries!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:139040
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.