Agnostic.com

25 0

Should Humans Stop Drinking Milk After Infancy?

Humans are the only animal group which continues to consume milk after infancy and through adult life.

I myself am guilty of this as I do enjoy an occasional bowl of cold cereal.

Technically our bodies don't actually require Milk after Infancy. We can get Vitamin D from many other sources such as sun light, vitamin supplements, and some other foods we consume.

Milk Processed from animals can contain Pus Cells, Bovine, Growth Hormone's, Feces, antibiotics, and a bunch of other unhealthy crap.

Are you a milk Drinker? Do you think our body needs milk after infancy? Do you prefer alternative milk products such as Soy or almond milk? Whats your Opinion?

• 22 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 4 votes
twshield 8 Jan 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Milk = unnecessary. Cheese = basic human right.

Jnei Level 8 Jan 9, 2018

Of course it's not necessary, but it's perfectly healthy and as a bodybuilder/powerlifter I won't be giving it up...! Easy protein, calories, calcium, Phosphorus. I drink at least 3 pints a day of full fat milk in my shakes.

I hate milk. Personally, it tastes slimy to me.

Milk does not quench my thirst. If I eat ice cream, I need a glass of water afterwards. I hate the slimy coating too.

Heard this once and it stuck; "A mama cow's milk is meant to turn that small 60 lb calf into a massive 1,600 lbs to 2,400 lbs adult cow"... something like that anyway since the calf isn't drinking it until it's a full grown adult but even if it goes from 60 lbs to 500 lbs to 700 lbs just imagine what that milk is trying to do to you.

Turning me into a beast! 😉

can anyone say obesity. chocolate milk has got to be the best and they even advertise its benefits !!

@tsjames, not sure if you're for or against what I said but the milk has enough carbohydrates, fat, and protein for a calf, which is significantly higher than a human needs at any stage of life. What do you think happens when you consume that?

@Zoidburg Just for the record , there are completely vegan "beasts" out there ...

@DreadlySmart You're dead on. Take a census at any local hospital to find out ...

@evergreen I didn't imply it was necessary, it's just a good way of getting down quality protein and minerals/cals, I also like it! lol

@DreadlySmart So is every other high calorie food bad, too, then? Just because you don't know how to control your diet doesn't mean everyone doesn't. If you don't want to drink it or can't fit it in your calorie count, don't? That is not an argument for it being bad or unnecessary.

@Zoidburg , "high calorie food bad" on average yes, and not just because of your waist line, but as @tsjames pointed out there are also carbohydrates, fats(lipids if we're to get scientific) and proteins; which I know go to the calorie count but the calorie system is kind of BS since your body may not even use those calories right then even if they're the only calories you consumed recently, and some of the components of the calorie count your body won;t use at all for energy e.g. fiber and proteins.

"Just because you don't know how to control your diet doesn't mean everyone doesn't"
Could be argued that if you drink cow's milk you're not in control of your diet =D.

But on a serious note your body obtains energy through glycolysis, and the only form of sugar that works in that cycle is glucose. Fats, some proteins(maybe...) and polysaccharides(from carbohydrates) contain large glucose chains that have to be broken down into their individual components to be used.

Glycolysis doesn't do the breaking down of larger sugars, I know one is an anaerobic cycle which will only engage during intense workouts because of the lactic acid and the other(s) are when you're starving and there's no glucose readily available. In the meantime all of that instantly gets stored away in preference of the simpler sugars already available.

If you get stuck looking at just one aspect of it, i.e. calories, may as well take this shot of arsenic or chew a stick of lead, those calories will fit right in, never mind the depth of "What they're trying to do to you or how they're actually used once consumed".

@zeliasgrand, though yes a calf can/should/will drink a gallon(4 quarts) a day for 8-10 weeks, the calf eventually stops drinking its mother's milk where as milk drinking humans drink it regularly for most of their life... a 200 lbs man is 1/6 the weight of a calf, so 2.5 cups a day puts him drinking the same equivalent amount, man also only has 1 stomach but I don't know if the other cow stomachs break stuff down from the milk as a calf.

On average 44.7 gallons of milk are consumed per person, per year(2 cups a day), the calf drinks 56-70 gallons in 2-2.5 months.

I would say once you look at the bigger picture, a human drinks WAY MORE milk than a calf.

Not sure but I think humans are the only one that drink milk after infancy ,on earth..

I like it but you don't need it.

Milk that comes from cows - is for ... what a surprise .... baby cows ! It is concentrated growth fluid to grow strong healthy calves - not humans.

Dairy products are the source of much disease in humans. And many of the animals producing the milk commercially, get a real bad deal, and an awful death.

Nope - milk is not needed.

Women can get osteoporosis. Very important for strong bones and teeth.

Just FYI, there are many other foods containing calcium. Sardines, Edamame and tofu, and my favorite; almonds to name a few.

I love milk and dairy products.

Enjoy it and processed into cheeses, yoghurts etc.

I’m not a huge fan of milk, but I do like cheese.

I like Milkshakes, Yogurt, Ice Cream. I switched to organic milk and milk products. No pus or growth hormones or antibiotics.

nothing wrong with milk people drink milk all the way into their 90s

Odyn Level 4 Jan 9, 2018

While it is not necessary, I’m not giving it up.

It’s the chocolate milk that is where pus and blood are included. Oh, the joys of knowing dairy farmers.

I buy filtered, local whole cows milk. I drink it a lot. I eat a lot of cheese, cow and goat.

But have found Fairlife chocolate to be good. Only 12 thing of sugar. The lowest of all chocolate milks I’ve looked at. I’m a chocolate chai kinda girl. Though I usually use chocolate powder and regular milk, no sugar.

I am not a fan of grain/nut/bean water (it’s not a milk, and should be labeled for what it is).

You are missing the option "like many things, milk may not be necessary but for many people it is still fine to consume it".
Humans consume a lot of things that are not strictly necessary, usually because they like it. So why not milk?
However some humans have low tolerance for lactose (a kind of sugar present in cow milk) or lack the enzyme to coagulate the protein present in milk and for those people, it is better not to consume milk. What you say about pus cells etc. sounds a bit like fear mongering -- we have learned for hundreds of years how to deal with milk, properly and milk is a safe and pretty clean food in all civilised countries today.

consume unpasteurized milk and the lactose thing is gone

@markdevenish what gave you that idea, unpasteurised milk contains lactose as well but may also contain a number of pathogens which can make you ill. that is why we pasteurize milk these days.

@twshield not sure what your point is. At no time in history was food as safe as it is now in most western developed countries and in those countries food is much safer than in the rest of the world. We know pretty much about how often and how food causes health problems and we know about the trade-offs there are countless scientific studies on impacts of various diets and food consumption on people's health. Different countries still have differing regulations and there is obviously room for improvement. But overall there is no need to panic or question in general if people should consume milk.

@twshield well my government is different one, and it is not really the government that is responsible for the laws and regulations that are in place to protect consumers, it is the parliament. But anyway, it is not hard to find the evidence that in most countries I know of, and definitely in all of the European Union, those regulations are sufficient and there is no need to panic.

Not necessary, but I don't know what harm it does. If you're not lactose intolerant and not buying an unsafe brand it seems fair to say it's as "necessary" as beef or cashews. If there are studies suggesting it's extremely bad for us I don't think children should be drinking it any more than adults. Infants shouldn't drink cows milk either way though.

@CMilena not at all to be antagonistic. I just don't understand why any farmer would deny the calf the appropriate amount of milk to make it grow up healthy. That would lose that farmer way to much money to validate selling the milk in the first place. The full of pus statement is also a bit over the top. I won't disagree with trace amounts but if that's a fear then don't handle money, use the same toothbrush more than once or twice, or ask what is normally on the front of your smartphone. Peanut butter typically has so many rat hairs per batch. There's a lot of things that sound gross but aren't realistic to be afraid of. However, I absolutely respect your milk abstinence because that's more for me 😛

@CMilena I did not know that about the calfs. Absolutely a process that needs to change. I wouldn't say giving up dairy would be the only way to change it though.

I completely quit milk after a student wrote a research paper on what is in milk after homogenization. People assume it kills those things you mentioned. It doesn't and I gag at the thought. I use powdered ,milk for cooking.

It may not be necessary, but I like it.

Gohan Level 7 Jan 12, 2018

Being unnecessary doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to do it

My doctor told me a long time ago when one of my kids was sensitive to it that no one needs milk but calves 🙂

Milk is definitely not necessary, yet to drink it or not is up to personal choice. I love it.

2% milk mixes in my shakes better, but I do like almond milk because it’s slightly alkaline or a natural antacid, a bit hard to get used to but you can’t expect whole milk when you drink it.

goats milk is better . unpasteurized milk does not hurt lactose intolerant people. ice cream is great. industrial raised cows suffer. I'm so confused

Personally I don't drink milk. I occasionally eat cheese and yogurt. My kids drink milk because they like milk. When the kids come for dinner I buy a carton of milk, and then make cheese with the leftovers.

I make my own butter.

I use a mixer. Once the cream ‘whips’, just let it keep going. Though churning can be relaxing. 😉 @twshield

Technically humans were not ever intended to drink cow’s milk. But it is the BEST source of calcium - most people get only 20-30% of their daily calcium needs from non-dairy food. Also humans have evolved so that many of us are now lactose tolerant. So for most people, milk is a good part of a balanced diet.

Often enough the voting options are too limited... You Kidding me? Not the option of "I don't care if is necessary or not I use it in my diet" I heard is bad for grown cats. There is a "dish" in Puerto Rico of boiled island's vegetables that is consumed with a glass of milk. Regardless of your age. There is more than one culture in this site. Coffee with Milk is choice nr One until I die. I still pour milk over ice cream. And cereal with beer is so 70's.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13917
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.