Agnostic.com

184 25

What if you are wrong and there IS a god

Im atheist . And I get asked this often . Was curious to know other non believers answer to this . Without getting into to much detail my answer is simple. If I am wrong and im hell doomed for not believing then thats fine with me . Maybe hell is where I belong . Because there is just to many things in the bible itself I can't justify . Too many evilness . God murdered o don't know how many people including kids . He tortures gay people . Ect. I will not bow down before such an evil being . I also have questions for him as well. One being why has remain hidden ? Why did he leave behind no evidance of his existance? And even more confusing leave more evidence of him NOT existing and then throw us in flames for eternal torment for not believeing him ? If he does exist we have a mad man on charge and we should all be fearful of this lunitic . So send me to hell god because I would never follow you anyways

DavidDeLa89 6 Jan 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

184 comments (126 - 150)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Will deal with that if and when the evidence is provided and not until.

I just ask "What if you're wrong and the real God is Zeus? ready for the thunderbolt up the bum hole are we?"

Well seems like you have it figured out. These are the words I fall back on when asked that question: "I'm NOT scared." Secondly: "I'm more concerned with my life NOW..here on Earth."

I answer with the same question...
What if you are wrong and there is NO god?

Alexa Level 5 May 16, 2018

Would very politely tell God "Oops, sorry God but you were really not very convincing until you came out"

What if I am wrong and there is a tooth fairy?
What if I am wrong and the world is flat?
What if I am wrong about a million other things?
I am HAPPY to be wrong, because then I can become right. It really is no biggie; paradigm shift- Move on...

I'm happy in my opinion that there is no God.

Two biggest problems with that argument, called Pascal’s wager:

1. it’s not an either/or situation. Once you decide to bet on a god you still must decide which one... based on what? Your location? Ok good luck with that.

2. even if it were just a yes or no proposition regarding the abrahamic god for example, he would know that the only reason you believe is to hedge your bets, and that’s not true faith. So you’re going to hell anyways if you try to believe out of self preservation. It’s like trying to surrender to a merciless enemy. You’ll die anyways, except now you’re dying a cowards death.

Your answer should be "so what?" My life wouldn't change any, I would still do exactly the same thing I do everyday. And if you ask them "what if you're wrong how would your life change," what would they say? God has no control. One team still wins and the other loses and your life won't change if there is a God and their life won't change if there isn't a god. They will fall back on everything is Man's Free Will. It's that simple. Nothing changes. Where you come up with there must be a hell if there is a God I'm not sure but you can come up with all kinds of myths that go with it but it doesn't change your life one bit if you're wrong. You're not relying on any nonexistent power to control your life so there's no disappointment. If they're wrong they are disappointed because their whole thought process is based on something controlling their life and it's not true.

lerlo Level 8 June 13, 2018

I ask their god to strike me dead now. So far (50+ years) nothing.

xyz123 Level 7 June 13, 2018

I would tell him/her/it to get lost. I've been doing fine so far...

well I don't have one so at least one god missing from the list!

jacpod Level 8 June 26, 2018

If there is, then he must be a complete sadist!

I would second a comment below and part of your comment. I have posted this before, if I could be convinced by evidence that there is a personal god that enters into the live's of humans, I would consider such a being responsible for the way things are and have been throughout history to be a crazed criminal lunatic or monster who would only deserve to be loathed.

I don’t understand these types of discussins tbh.
I don’t think of it as a choice or decision I have made.
It’a more like a conclusion. Like you think 1+1 =a based on the input and I think 1+1=2 . Good luck convincing me 1+1 is not 2 but more power to you.

My point is I don’t think I have a choice in what I know. I can research more and maybe I find different facts but as of now I know what know or know that I am missing facts and refuse to guess based on unknowns (that part is a decision, yes)

It can send me to hell.

I look at it the other way. If there is a cosmic justice, then faith on bad evidence is not the greatest justice. So I don’t live my life worried about Bronze Age myths.

I have thought about this profoundly and many times, and the answer is pretty easy. There might be "something" but even from my limited cognitive capability I know and I am 100% positive that Abrahamic religion and its variants are absolutely mythological... zero doubts about it!

Now, getting back about let's assume there might be "something", Carl Sagan put it in words so much better that I ever could, but the idea was that I swear:

"The idea that God is an oversized white man with a flowing beard, who sits in the sky and tallies the fall of every sparrow is ludicrous. But if by 'God,' one means the set of physical laws that govern the universe, then clearly there is such a God. This God is emotionally unsatisfying... it does not make much sense to pray to the law of gravity."

--Carl Sagan

Large concepts often can not be stated specifically. Take love, for example... the moment you say what it is, it isn't that. The only way to describe it is through negation - to parse it what it is not.

If there is a God, I feel very sure about not being able to confirm it specifically. However, I could tell you pretty specifically that it isn't any of the myths I've heard so far.

So, if there is a God... it's nothing like people have said. And that's enough to know for now.

I still choose be without god .

I would ask which God. There are thousands of Gods out there. Most of the people are wrong if any one of them is true anyway.

Well, the god you address is a nasty creature but you address him as if you believe in him and are angry. atheists are often accused of being angry at god, which is ridiculous because you can't be angry at someone who doesn't exist. the observations you make about the particular god you've chosen to observe are good and valid observations... of a particular fictional character. i can't tell from what you wrote whether you're just riffing on how it would be IF such a god existed, or whether you really do believe in one and don't like him/are angry at him, which, again, is NOT the definition of "atheist" (no matter how much some theists love to tell us it is). i am not accusing you of not really being an atheist. i am just telling you the impression your post leaves, at least how it impresses me.

now, i am not worried about a hell (or a heaven for that matter -- it sounds terribly boring anyway!) since if i don't believe in a god, i don't believe in hells or heavens either. but let's imagine for a minute that i am wrong. is the god that turns out to exist really the kind of god who punishes people for being mistaken? then maybe that is also the kind of god who punishes people regardless. is the god that turns out to exist a forgiving, reasonable god? then well oops. my point is, finding out there is a god or gods is not necessarily the same thing as finding out there is a hell or heaven or finding out that the god that exists has any particular interest in whether or not i believed in him/her/it. i don't give it a lot of thought. finding out there is a god or are gods after all is about as on my list of things to worry about as finding out i am really a unicorn and my horn got bitten off by the tooth fairy. but if i try really hard to imagine there is some kind of god who reveals him/her/itself to me, presumably after my death, i still have to imagine WHICH god(s), and what KIND of god(s) before i could imagine what, if anything besides "oops," i would do or say to that entity.

g

this is always s weird question for me to answer but I'll have another go -

a) I don't really care if there is a god or not I am 70 and if s/he he it hasnt revealed themselves to me yet, times running out
b) What difference would it make to my life. I refuse to be judged by anyone especially given how many people inhabit this planet of ours
c) havent really got a c its just that most answers go in 3's. (C could be again ,how much I really don't care.)

You seem obsessed with flames and being thrown into flames. I have to ask which god is it that I am wrong about? It certainly cannot be the biblical god. Too many contradictions in the book. Then people forget that Jesus himself said he had come to save the lost sheep of Israel and later, Saul of Tarsus expanded that idea to include the Gentiles. Oh, it's OK because he is St. Paul. WTF?
At a checkout yesterday there was some trouble with the credit card and a man in line said it will all be embedded in your body soon as a chip. That day is coming, he said, and it's coming soon. I left thinking that many people today actually deserved the biblical god. It's a crazy world.

If I'm wrong, and the Christian skydaddy does exist, then he is neither deserving of worship nor respect or even consideration. He is the abusive spouse of the religious world and should not be given the time of day.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13924
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.