Agnostic.com

39 6

Does anyone recycle?

I've been recycling for 1-2 months now. My local recycling center takes plastics #1 and #2, cardboard, paper, and tin/aluminum cans, but it doesn't take glass. Well today I found a center in a town I work in that does, so I'm happy I don't have to throw all my glass bottles/containers in the trash.

Now I need to find out what to do with plastics #4, #5, and cereal bags.

Does anyone else recycle? Are there recyclables that your center doesn't take? What do you do with those? Any funny stories about recycling?

joeymf86 8 July 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

39 comments (26 - 39)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Luckily we have municipal recycling. Just curb it and they do the rest.

The city of Tampa has a recyclable pick-up once a week. It takes all forms of pater, metals, glass, and plastic bottles

There is a great center real close to where I live, and they have huge bins for everything.
A lot of people around here use it too. That's nice to see.

Life-long recycler, here. Welcome to the your next step in sustainable living! Finding centers that take everything is hard. So good for you for searching out the place that will take your glass! 4s and 5s are hard to recycle as there isn't much market force for them and they are some of the least pure plastics. Also, cereal bags are totally fine to be recycled with paper board! They are just waxed paper essentially. That little fact was straight from the mouth of a recycling plant manager! All my best!

Life-long recycler, here. Welcome to the your next step in sustainable living! Finding centers that take everything is hard. So good for you for searching out the place that will take your glass! 4s and 5s are hard to recycle as there isn't much market force for them and they are some of the least pure plastics. Also, cereal bags are totally fine to be recycled with paper board! They are just waxed paper essentially. That little fact was straight from the mouth of a recycling plant manager! All my best!

Awesome! Thanks for the info!

I recycle anything that I can, and avoid using products that cannot be recycled. I sell clothing I no longer want/need on eBay. I make my own deodorant and toothpaste and reuse the containers for the next batch. I but stuff in glass containers as often as I can and the glass gets recycled. Plastics and paper I can recycle with my weekly trash pick up at home. Food scraps get recycled to my worm box or compost bin. I don't use much in the way of disposable paper products, I use cloth and wash and reuse. About 15 years ago I made cloth shopping bags which reduces the number of grocery bags I use. I do use plastic shopping bags when I clean out the kitty boxes.

How do you make toothpaste and deodorant?

@joeymf86 When I first got into DIY I found a website called DIY natural. It has a definite christian flavor but loads of good info. My toothpowder recipe is here: [diynatural.com] and my deodorant recipe is this one I think... I have several recipes [pronounceskincare.com]

@joeymf86 I also make soap, shampoo, lip balms, beard balm (3 son in laws are bearded) and a few other products.

I hate to say it but I'm pretty much an environmental terrorist. I need to work on that.

haha. I hope you do. Good luck.

We get a curbside recycling bin from our trash removal company. All types of glasses, metals, plastics, papers, and cardboards are accepted. We also pay a 5 cent deposit on each metal, glass, or plastic beverage container so we save those separately in order to reclaim our deposit. We have 8 people in our household, so we get about $100 in returned deposits every 3 months or so.

Yup. Same as you; used to be they took "mixed household plastics" #s 3-7, but no more--thanks, "market conditions" (sad trombone). Glass goes elsewhere. Aluminum cans are stockpiled for a year or so until there's $20 worth or so and then they go to yet another place.

Bf used to give me shit for rinsing, draining, and crushing aluminum soda cans ("waste" of water and time, grumble grumble)...until I triumphantly reported that the guy at the center gave me an extra 2¢ per lb and a fist bump because he was so impressed with the ease with which my clean, neat cans fell into the hopper.

I grew up sorting and recycling everything: I was a kid when mandated city recycling was implemented in Duluth, MN, and I remember the change. I felt like I went back in time when I moved to MT and found that recycling is optional and either a PITA or costly--instead of a city service.

As much as I can, I try to choose products that have less and/or recyclable packaging.

Lovers? All the time... Don't we all?

I've been recycling for years. I've moved several times. It always amazes me that one take this and won't take that and another will do the opposite. If it's recyclable in Cleveland it should be in Houston - right?

Yes, as much as I can

Here in the UK, most (if not all) local authorities provide two household waste bins; one for ordinary household waste and one for recyleables. My local authority also collects glass once a month. Additionally, I pay a small monthly fee for a bin for garden waste, which the council collects fortnightly and turns into compost.

My supermarket delivery also takes back their plastic shopping bags and recycles them.

So I have 2 stories about when I started recycling.

1. Since I wasn't putting so much garbage in my trashcan, it was taking longer to fill up; instead of a 1 week, it was taking 2-3 weeks or longer. The only things I was putting in my trashcan was biodegradable materials (mainly food). I keep my trashcan underneath my sink and for a few days I just made some easy-to-heat up meals and didn't really have to throw anything away. Well, when I finally did have something to throw away, I opened up the cupboard underneath my sink and a swarm of fruit flies came flying out. I immediately took the trash out, and for the next 3-4 days I sucked up the flies using the attached hose on my vacuum cleaner. I later found out about apple cider vinegar and dish detergent to catch fruit flies, so I'll use that in the future instead of my vacuum cleaner.

2. My first time visiting my local recycling center, I was looking through the bins just to see what things people have recycled just to get an idea of what I can take there. A security guard, I think, approached me and asked what I was doing. I told him; he was fine with that. I then asked if they took glass, and his answer was hilarious.

• Him: "Glass is made out of sand so you can just throw that out and it will turn back into sand."
  • Me: "Oh....(me thinking: 'Yeah like in a thousand years!' ) ok."
    I looked it up when I got back home.....it takes a millions years for glass to decompose. hahaha
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:141237
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.