Agnostic.com

13 3

My sister feeds the cats at the same times everyday. However the cats start asking for food several hours before their actual meal times. They expend so much effort trying to get fed, tha by the time they actually do get fed, that they are exhausted and right after eating have to lay down for a nap... because it is such hard work for thme to get fed.

snytiger6 9 Jan 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We are their willing slaves - just face it.

I like the saying, "Dogs hve masters, Cats have staff". I liek to think of myself more as "staff" than a slave.

Our cats get fed twice a day- once in the morning and once at night. We used to free feed, but two of the cats got extremely fat while the other two were not getting enough nutrition. So now the fat cats are on a diet, one cat has gained enough weight that we aren't worried about her anymore, and the fourth gets supplemented with special wet food because he has a health condition. They start fussing for food hours before feeding time, especially if someone is up and in the living room, which is funny because only one person actually ever feeds them but everyone still gets the same reaction.

Yes, with pets you need to have a designated person to feed them or else they will lie to you and tell you how they are sarving an dhaven't been fed for days, when they are actually trying for a fourth meal that day.

My little female cat sleeps from about 8 AM to near 6PM After a short period of activity. She settles in to cuddle with me and my wife until about 9 or 10 PM. Then she eats and goes to bed in her room until about 5 or 6 AN. She is a lovable little lap cat -- half Siamese with a black face, a black band and a white tip on her tail, and a white paw on the right front and left rear. In spite of her asymmetrical markings, she is a pretty little cat -- about 8 pounds.

Cats own slaves.

I rescued my cat from the streets, and he has taught me how much food to feed him....he doesn't like too much wet food in his bowl...but he can't ever see the bottom of his dry food bowl, or he is out. He also has to tuck me in every time I go to sleep....he attacks my blankets and gives me his 'kitty massage' until I go to sleep...for the last couple of days, though, he has been waking me up a lot...not sure what the deal is...

Do you have play time with him at all? He may be bored. Play with him a little before bedtime, it might help. (as I told @stomato, I heard that from Jackson of "My Cat from Hell".

@BeeHappy we play....my hands look like 'frankenhands' from us playing so much....but you made me think about it a bit, and I think it has to do with not having steady sleeping schedules....a lot of times when he is waking up, I am going to sleep....

@JohnnyThorazine Yours or your cat's sleeping schedule? Lol

Our girl cat sleep in between my legs. At first it was annoying, but now I can't easily get to sleep until she settles in.

I can't let my cat in my bedroom at night. She starts in about 2am meowing for her canned cat food. She's unrelenting. No matter what I do to get her to stop meowing and licking my face to get up and feed her, she comes right back again. I have to keep my bedroom door closed and even then I can hear her standing outside the door! Love my Jaz, but what a pain!!!

It is more likely that she wants to play or be near you. And of course cats hate to be locked out of any room. LOL. My girl will sometimes wake me I pet her a little then tell her to go lay down, mommy needs sleep and usually she does. Do you play with her at all, because she may just be bored. Give her 30 minutes of play time earlier in the evening and that might help (I heard that from Jackson of "My Cat from Hell" ).

Believe me, it's not because she wants to play. We share plenty of snuggle time together every evening. You would have to see her run for the kitchen when I open the door to the bedroom. She's waiting for her breakfast, for sure.

@stomato Our cats tend to be loud when they want to play too. We are still learnign to distinguish between the "I wan tto play" meow, the "I want out" meow, and the "I am hungry" meow.

I just fill up a big dish and my cat Zeus eats whenever he wants to. If he hears me opening a can he comes running-tuna.

The cats always have dry food out. We refer to them as "the desperation crunchies", it is th wet food they are always trying to get.

Cats, dogs, and babies sleep after eating. Well, sometimes adult people do too. It takes energy to digest all that food. (think Thanksgiving feasts.)

I free feed my cats. They get canned food in the morning after I get up and functional. The rest of the day they have dry food out and eat at will. I haven't yet had an overweight cat.

Same. If cats know food is available, they'll eat little and often. It's only if they're worried they might not have food that they gorge themselves.

@Bam85 I'm not always home at the same time in the evening so morning usually works best for me. Though weekends and days off I don't necessarily get up at the same time either. My cats are flexible.

Yeah, our cats too always have dry food available, which we call their "desperation crunchies", but they still make a fuss tryign to get the wet food more than twice a day.

It is obvious to the cats they are having trouble training your sister to feed them on demand.

My sister is the designated person to feed the animals, although at present we only have the two cats. The idea is that someone knows when and if the cats gets fed in order to not waste food.

We are well aware that the cats want to train us to feed them on demand. We have had cats all of our lives.

Cats, in the wild, eat throughout the day, small meals, like a mouse, crickets, whatever. So I feed my cat wet food twice a day, morning and night, just 2 teaspoons each time (she's a small cat so you might need to adjust the amount) and I leave a bowl of hard food out all the time. She is not overweight and she doesn't bug me very often, unless I forget.

that's about what I do...

That is what we do. Dry food is always out, and we give them wet food twice a day. Sometimes they will catch a bird and eat that too, althou8gh usually they just bring it in to us as a "gift".

@snytiger6 My girl is an indoor cat. So she doesn't get those extra treats. 🙂

@BeeHappy We tried to have indoor cats, but they were insistent that they would be both indoor and outdoor.

It's common to feel hungry before a meal, so they demand food - and expect humans, as their servants, to stop whatever they're doing and provide it immediately!

Jnei Level 8 Jan 10, 2018

Yes. The saying is that "Dogs have masters and cats have staff."

@snytiger6 People say cats would rule the world if they'd evolved opposable thumbs. Cats say why bother going to the effort of evolving opposable thumbs when you can just domesticate an ape and train it open tins for you?

@Jnei LOL

Our dog does the exact same thing.

Feed them one more time in the day if poss and split the food out equally.

God I hate cats.

My sister adn I have always been more cat people than dog persons. We will enjoy other people's dogs, but dogs are so needy, while cats are mostly independent. Cats also sleep on the goot of your bed and keep your feet warm on cold nights or will sit in you lap whiel purring.

@snytiger6 Haha I'm sure you see the irony given the topic we are replying to! lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14206
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.