Agnostic.com

16 7

Are we alone in the universe?

My answer is yes. The aliens live very far away. We are alone due to vast distances between stars. When I'm in the mountains many miles from anyone else, I rightfully claim that I am alone. A much better question is: Is Earth the only place with life?

astrochuck 6 Jan 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Interesting perspective. Thanks.

skado Level 9 Jan 10, 2018

As far as we know, we are the only planet with our form of life. There may be other life forms on other as yet unreachable planets.

More scientific study needed.

I will let you know when I find the light switch to the universe.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson had the BEST response. He stated there is 1% of difference between our DNA and ape DNA. If you extrapolate that out to alien life, ie. 1% of difference between their DNA and our DNA . . . .Why would they EVEN want to try to talk to us? We'd be like very low life forms to them. He could be right.

Don't be so sure that their 1% be the better DNA. planet of the apes?

@GipsyOfNewSpain Yes, that does give the impression their DNA makes them 'better' than us. "It's a COOKBOOK!!", Planet of the Apes, etc. Guess til they show up we'll still get to have some great sci-fi movies. Loved the original "Invasion of the Body Snatchers".

@silverotter11 I loved both versions of the body snatchers.

I think we will find life on Europa. And at some point, humans MUST strike out to colonize planets or become extinct.

Yeah, I agree about humans really needing to colonize planets for survival. I felt Pres. Obama had an eye for this idea when he supported U.S. advances in using rockets to reach far out beyond moon. He listened to scientists' predictions.

Darn the continuing depletion of sources on the earth and also exploding populations thanks to Pres. Trump!

Think I have heard it called Morse law or theory (not after Morse of the code) States that within a given distance there is probability that life exist. Not exactly sure I have it spell correctly either.

I hope there is other life on other planets.

With more stars in the Universe than grains of sand on all the beaches in the world, I would bet on life. We are expanding our understanding of our galaxy and advancing our technology levels at an astounding rate. Its only a matter of time until we get that signal or contact from other sentinel beings.

Semantics on exact meaning of "alone" may be confusing. But since we are talking about "in the universe" we mean the whole universe space where I could say we're not alone if a living being is found even far away in the universe.

no, i don't think so as with infinite space there are infinite possibilities

I'm sure you must know of the Drake Equation. I believe it is likely there is life elsewhere, maybe even intelligent life. But might we stay alone through the time we destroy ourselves (which I think we're in significant danger of doing)? Yes. The distances, as you say, are so incredibly vast.

No doubt about it. Yes there is life out there, the possibility is extremely high.

EMC2 Level 8 Jan 11, 2018

About the time I think I'm alone, I simply try to talk along Seventh and Broadway... Feeling's gone. I am definitely not alone.

Well, with multiverse theory it is possible we might get occasional visitors from the multiverse. However, if this universe it is unlikely we will even encounter aliens from another world, unless either we or them master the ability to travel distances by "folding" space. On our side, that is unlikely to happen in our lifetimes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14216
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.