Agnostic.com

26 2

Do you often use profanity?

In everyday conversation, at work, or at the mall, or at home with the fam?

Personally, I use "fuck" like punctuation in the steel shop where I work, but don't swear much anywhere else.

• 2 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 38 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 4 votes
  • 6 votes
JustKip 7 July 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Fuck no. Only cunts swear.

Jnei Level 8 July 29, 2018

@maturin1919 Shitload of wankers, the fucking lot of them.

As Bronn said, there's no cure for being a cunt.

I curse in several languages...cussing and insulting someone are two different animals to me...I also think that using "curse" words while doing different things can change the mood completely...I don't overuse them, but I definitely use them...

Context matters 🙂

You have to rotate your curse words or they will mean nothing.

I swear like a #@%&! pirate.

Deb57 Level 8 July 29, 2018

Yarrrrrrrr

The "F" Word

Went to science museum on a rainy Sunday with friends. We went into the critter room. I am seriously not good with spiders but not bad with snakes. Grey hairy tarantula gave me the willies but no overt stress dispay. Was doing fine...Except, when I turned around & was 2 feet away from a large snake at face level, contrary to what I yelled in shock, the snake is not named "Fuck".

Fuck yes!
I work hard to limit that around my kids, but I took the advice of a friend of mine years ago, who said that she told her kids there were “grown up words”, rather than “bad” words. This precludes (I hope), the secret allure of using forbidden words by the kids themselves. The advantage of getting away from the good/bad, duality makes sense in another way because, let’s face it - fuck is a goddamn great word!

Indeed. Very versatile.

It can be a noun (he is a right fuck), an adjective (look at the size of that fucking thing), an activity (we fucked all night; I'm going to fuck you up), an oath (fucking hell), part of a multitude of insults (you and the camel you rode in on can fuck off), and wrapped into a larger word (fuckstick, fucktard, fuckface) amongst its many uses.

I love the word, could not live without it.

I certainly fucking do and this is my daily meditation

thank you so fucking much for this fucking awesome vid!!

I don't censor myself anywhere. I don't use words as weapons to hurt another, otherwise (to me) they are just words.

@JustKip as are many people. I do not see it as my place to hurt anybody, whether with words or otherwise.

@JustKip I can't disagree with that!

After twelve years in the Navy I'm quite capable of turning people's faces red. I didn't want my kids to grow up thinking it's normal so never at home. They now though are worse than I ever was.

It depends on how f** pissed off I am LOL

I was watching something on Hulu and heard an adorable substitution for motherfucker. I admired it but did not write it down. Now I am going to have to wait until I happen to watch that show again ( no idea what it was) or until one of you tells it to me. The substitution contained no swear word, but it was abundantly clear what was meant.

The Good Place, maybe? Mother Forker?

@Mikestr The Good Place? Is that a good show? It was not mother forker, but I like it, too.

I have to be selective. Never at work (office enivornment) and not with people I am unfamiliar with. Otherwise, fuck me sideways, I swear like a trooper.

Sailors don''t curse that much. Nothing compared to teenagers.I curse liberally. English is my second language and I have no emotional connection to the "bad" words. Always looking for new ones, too.

@JustKip I was dating sailors in my youth. Every boy I knew went to sea They all came back saying fuck whenever possible, but it does not have the same impact in German.

@Spinliesel that's because when they are out to sea all they think about is fucking. That's why I joined the air force. Unfortunately that's all I think about to when I got out.

@MrChange These were merchant marine boys ( I lived by the North Sea) Those guys think about money and leave the horniness until they have shore leave. Well, you may be right. They were young man and full of hormones.

i never say heck or what the fuckever.. but am always saying shit to get the fucking point across.

I work with children, so anytime I'm not at work.

Fuck yes, goddam, shit howdy, jebus fuck!!!

I'm tactful when it matters, but I'm pretty casual with my profanity.

dokala Level 7 July 30, 2018

I very rarely swear. So if I do, that is a surely a measure of how extraordinarily upset I am! My kids only heard me swear once growing up, when I missed a turn while driving and they were sure surprised at my language!

My most recent ex got an ear full several times over the last few years, but only in angry retort to his own swearing and name calling during our frequent spats, usually by text. Glad to have that aggravation out of my life, and back to my tame vocabulary.

I think that my job and reputation for being mild mannered contributes to my use of "nice words only" in public.

Since 1974, only use profanity in their literal, non-profane sense...

Most interesting answer. If I may ask, what changed in 1974?

@Jthurston2 ...until(maybe) the 90's, using vulgar expletives in normal conversation was considered crass and without-culture, basically low people... ...in 1974, I snagged a position in which I was working a lot with professional and higher-up management...I had to either, manage my knee-jerk language to fit the company I was in, or train myself out of using any language not acceptable to my audience as a whole...I choose the latter...
Later, as I became more familiar with and appreciative of sexuality, I decided that using sex words as expletives and negatives was not appropriate to their literal sense...i.e. to fuck is a positive joy....to use it in a negative sense is juxtaposed to my primal sense....

For those too young to remember the 80's and 90's so clearly...common use of profanity in conversation was initially used for shock value...today of course, there is nothing particularly shocking about hearing happy words in a negative context every day, every where we go...

usually when referencing Fuhrer Trump the POS.

I swear all the time, the F word gets bandied about all day. Rarely use the C word though, that's for special occasions 🙂

Only swear casually around my kids. When I'm angry, I try to breath and choose my words carefully and speak then clearly and calmly. I'm more aware of casually swearing at other peoples' houses where their children are present

It depends upon the company I'm in. I greatly reduced my swearing when my kids were little, they're older now but I still tend to not swear unless I'm really upset. Although if I'm in company of people who swear regularly I'll pick it up again.

That's a hell of a question, who the fuck do you think you are?

I swear more at work than anywhere else. I have a slightly more abrasive personality there.
I recall a fellow officer who was at dinner with his wife and another couple. The subject of his work in corrections came up. The other husband asked, "Do you know (name of mutual acquaintance)?" Without hesitation he replied, "Yeah, I know that dick-eating bitch." The mutual acquaintance had been best man at the other couple's wedding. ? After that my friend was banned from social occasions for a year.
Best part of the story is the other guy's wife. She just said, "I knew there was a reason I didn't like that guy. "

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:142507
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.