Agnostic.com

20 3

Advice to yourself?

Hindsight is 20/20. So if you could give your younger self one key piece of advice what would it be? Or are you proud of the person you are today warts and all?

E.g. I’d tell myself to take more risks. Broaden my horizons and trust my insights along the way.

EdmundCinister 5 Aug 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If f what your doing isn’t working change what you are doing

This obviously comes with the caveat of if I change things my kids wouldn't exist etc.

So anyway, the one thing I would change, if I could, was to not be so lost and heart broken after breaking up with someone that then got in the way of me finding someone else for years, and there were opportunities that I passed by or fucked up as a result of this near obsession.

But a house when you first moved to El Paso.
Be transparent in your life; it helps your mental health.
Invest your savings instead of feeling you need to keep cash a round. You can always sell your stock and your money will be working for you.
Know that everyone is responsible for their own happiness, and it’s okay if you can’t do anything to make someone else’s life better.
Have a structured hobby that helps your career (wish I had started toastmasters way earlier)

Myah Level 6 Aug 3, 2018

Don’t get married to the first girl you have sex with. College is way more fun that high school, go there! Dad was often right, should have listened to him more.

I'd tell my younger self not to listen to my dad, that I can afford to go to college and I can make it. And nursing is a great profession, one I'd do well in. I am proud of who I am now, but having that degree years ago would have made my whole life different. Instead of college I joined the Army.

Trust self more and listen to the "know it all's" less.

Invest in Apple.

My advice to myself would be become an atheist. You will be better off in the long run.

I started smoking (and other things) as a teenage rebellion against the very strict religious requirements of my parents. Now with COPD and a cancerous lobe of my lung removed, I can easily admit I wish my rebellion had not included smoking!

That’s rough. I’m sorry to hear.

Maybe you're miserable alone, but marry that one and you'll be twice as miserable!

Know the feeling, mate. Good advice.

Seen the question before... here.

Get divorced Before you waste 33 years!

This is tricky. I have made a ton of mistakes but all have led me to where I am now. I wouldn't want to change the path that led to my children so the advice couldn't affect my future. In that case, I'm not sure there would be a point to giving advice to my younger self. Instead I try to give advice to my kids so they won't make the same mistakes but people only really learn by doing.

Nothing. I love myself just the way I am.
And I love life just as much as I did when I was younger.
So there wouldn't be anything to tell my younger self.
except some winning lottery numbers.

Don't waste time/money on ungrateful and unappreciative people.
Look out for #1 more!

Learn to love yourself.
Learn to forgive others.
Learn to forgive yourself.
Never hold hard feelings in your chest for long.
These skills will come in handy later in life.

Cultivate personal drive, dedication, determination, diligence, and discipline. I'm intelligent but I never understood how valuable drive is. There are much less intelligent people around me that are far more successful (in any way that you'd interpret it) and drive was the key factor that I fell short on.

None.
I wouldn't listen to my older self anyway as my younger self

try and care about money give my sis and me £110. ea she will decorate her house feed her family and put some in the bank meantime im skint saying have you checked out my new frizbee

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:145155
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.