Agnostic.com

25 2

Is Fox News credible or mostly propaganda?

What % would you assign to it's truthfulness?

atheist 8 Jan 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

fox news and credible in the same sentence made me LOL. foxstupid is not a good news source. The program directors pay little or no attention to facts or truth. The station is used by the gop and right wing for propaganda and feeds directly to nationalist, white racists in America. IMO

Where they tend to be deceptive is wrapping news around commentary, or using suggestive chyrons or headlines. This tends to blur the line between news and entertainment and because of the obvious slant, it is indeed propaganda.

@atheist I beleive they licensed uder entertainment so skirt the FCC rules. And yes, under freedom of speech/free press they can get away. It is viewer beware in my opinion.

@atheist Yes, technically it is protected under the 1st.

@silverotter11 I believe you're thinking of the Fairness Doctrine, but that was eliminated back in 1987 under the Reagan administration, and then only under the terms of on-air broadcasting. The FCC has no bearing on cable broadcasts.

Fox "news" is almost all propaganda. They use a propaganda tactic that was pioneered by the KGB, which is to sprinkle-in just enough truth to make the lies sound reasonable.

Shepherd Smith is the only honest newscaster there.

@atheist media conglomerates don't compete for Revenue anymore. Their revenue is guaranteed. They exist to perpetuate a narrative that their owners want to portray. Fox is the media arm of the Republican Party.

@atheist whatever Mr Murdock or who ever gives them enough money wants to acomplish.

FoxNews is to credible journalism what an 83-year old woman wearing a Derek Jeter t-shirt is to actually playing for the Yankees. In fact, on our local cable, all of the news networks (MSNBC, CNN, Weather Channel, etc.) are clustered together (as are the sports, movie channels, music stations...), and poor ol' FoxNews is out beyond the cartoon stations, clustered in with Viceland, the Hallmark Channel, QVC and the Oprah channel. Even the cable company treats it as light entertainment instead of actual news. I've seen more objective reporting in news stories pertaining to "Bat Boy", if you're a fan of the Weekly World News....

Oh, you are ABSOLUTELY correct in thinking that people really believe it. A very dear friend of mine ONLY watches FoxNews; her husband thinks it's because it only gives her the news that she wants to hear (ie., Trump is a hero who will 'fix' the broken country Obama left, The rich deserve the biggest tax cuts because it will make our economy stronger, the kneeling NFL players should all lose their jobs, etc.). She is actually a very bright person, which baffles me that she can't see that Sir Lies-a-Lot blatantly bullshits us every chance he gets...

You bet people actually believe it. There are various reasons they do, but I believe it's akin to belief in religion. It's colorful and authoritative, like a Catholic church.

Yes...and I've heard her say on several occasions, "Well, they couldn't say it on TV if it wasn't true..." All you have to do is replace 'TV' with 'Bible' in that sentence. Good call, @BitFlipper !

Roger Ayles deliberately created Fox "News" as a propaganda machine. He was a huge admirer of Leni Riefenstahl, Hitler's film propagandist. He was also well aware of Geobbels's (Hitler's propaganda minister) strategy of the big lie: Lie deliberately, but say it convincingly and often, and people will begin to believe it. He also invented the term "dvocacy journalism (an absolute oxymoron) to hide the fact that he was engaging in deliberate propaganda.

100% propaganda-faux news

They are owned by trump no doubt-paid performers

You missed option 3: total bullshit!

Jnei Level 8 Jan 12, 2018

It's as credible as any mainstream media outlet. Which is to say it is a product aimed for a paricular market. If you rely solely on any mainstream outlet you can be assured that a lot of it is lies, even if lies of omission. They all count on people believing them without actually looking deeper.

I see Fox news kind of like belief in a god. If you choose to believe in it - then it's credible.

Unfortunately.

Faux News? Filled with false equivalencies, half-truths and outright lies. Other than that it's fine.

don't watch it. PERIOD

Just as a side note: The parallels between the Trump Administration and the Orwell novels "1984" and "Animal Farm" are impossible to ignore...It is almost as if the books were written last year, instead of in the 1950s...

Is this a trick question? One word: pizzagate. You know, where Hillary et al was abusing children in the basement of a pizza parlor....that had No basement & so easily checked, but, noooooooo.

Propaganda (bullshit with a news label slapped on it; does not mask the odor one bit!).

Zster Level 8 Jan 12, 2018

99% propaganda (IMHO)

It is what it is.

Propaganda. I would at best give them a 5%.

Given that Fox anything is mostly owned and controlled by Rupert Murdoch I'd have to say that Fox News is much like almost every other news broadcast by Commercial Media Sources, i.e. It is overly sensationalised, twisted and warped until truth and fact are almost indistinguishable from fiction and propaganda, etc.

Profit!!!

If you like alt-facts, then they are for you. Don't waste your time when there are great sites for news.

What is the reason it has not faded into history? You have an educated USA.

Their broadcast license is for an “entertainment” network, not a news network.

Of course they are propaganda.

all news is bias so it's all propaganda

Brought to you by our dear leader - Putin, the puppet master.

Their comitary is littered with personal opinion and skewed angles to present the news in the light they want it to be viewed in. This could be confirmation bias on my part, but I've never seen another major news outlet appeal to emotion half as much as fox news.

Even if every news story they present were factually accurate, they would not be objective.

Not*

Hazzah! I fixed it.

Propaganda.

@atheist no need to yell.

They'd be 50/50, at best, 0% when discussing god. 100% pure garbage, unless your following the same cult as it's employees.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14643
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.