Agnostic.com

3 0

Once something has been established as an objective fact, it ceases to be an opinion, right? If there's enough proof and evidence to demonstrate step-by-step to people how and why something is a fact, then it can't be a belief anymore because faith is no longer required. Why would you need to believe and have faith in something that's already been proven to been true?

Two examples of objective facts would be the Big Bang and Evolution.

TylerB234 2 Aug 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The problem is that you are trying to replace emotions with logic and that, my friend, does not work. This is the problem when arguing with the religious about their beliefs. Faith is an emotional stance because there is no "proof" available to justify the conclusion. Yes, there is a smattering of logic involved but until we learn to also argue from emotion, atheist versus religious will continue.

I deal with objective reality. This is the provable. Keep in mind that many people deal with subjective reality and this "what if" attitude can get you into anything. There might be Moonmen but you would have to prove that to me. When it comes to religions your bible means nothing. It cannot prove itself. Nothing within it is backed up by objective reality and we have no contemporary writings of the time of Jesus that would even prove Jesus really exited. Why? Maybe because it is all made up. Other than that doubtful entry by Josephus nobody knew enough of Jesus to take him seriously. Not a peep. Not a word. What was written was not by contemporaries and was written a century later. Why? Then people call these guys "early church fathers" to give it authority. Josephus was not even from the time of Jesus.

The Big Bang is still slightly controversial, because our theories aren't quite up to describing those conditions.

@TheAstroChuck I'm not saying it's wrong, just that there are still some possible alternatives. Probably pretty unlikely, I admit.

@TheAstroChuck Maybe controversy is too strong a word. I was using it to indicate a lack of universal agreement, not entrenched warfare. Of course, there isn't universal agreement on evolution, either, but those who disagree on that one are too blind to realize that you can actually watch it happening, though not if your head's buried in sand, or in the pages of that awful book.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:147410
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.