Agnostic.com

65 11

What do you call your mother-in-law?

I've mostly just called her by her first name since I met her, but now my wife wants me to call her "mom". I'm not quite comfortable with that, though, because I love calling my own mother that.

Thoughts?

Rhetoric 7 Aug 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

65 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nothing. I ignore her as I walk by her and Faux news is perpetually on.

Draw the Line in the Sand.

Dead. She was the MIL from some evil place.

My poor daughter, such a sweet person is stuck with the BITCH FROM HELL as her MIL.She puts everyone down, behind their backs even her own son and grandkids. She's manipulative, devious, a racist, a loud mouthed bully. And she recently moved into their quest house living there in the winter. She scowls at her own 2 year old bi-racial greatgranddaughter. I scowl back at her when I catch her doing that. It's my Great granddaughter, too and precious to me.

She and her son (my daughter's husband) argue constantly. It's not going to last thru the 1st winter, then she'll hussle her sorry ass back to W. VA. Oh and she claims to be A devout Christian.

Thanks for letting me rant a bit. I just suffered thru four days of her incessant gossip, hateful put downs of her own flesh and blood.

Deceased

I called my first MIL Mom because she was like a mom to me.
My late husbands mom I never called her anything at all. She was not in my hubbys life for most of his life and they were not close . Just do what feels right to you .

It took me a long time to have a good relationship with my mother-in-law, years, but I just never could call her "mom". She had a lot of wonderful qualities, but she was not the warmest of women, and fairly judgemental. My father in law, on the other hand, I had a wonderful relationship, and started calling him "Dad" almost right away. Sadly, after having been married to her son for 37 years, she became my EX-mother-in-law, and we have NO relationship now. I hope for you that you can develop a good relationship with your m-i-l, and perhaps come up with a special pet name for her!!

It’s about your comfort not hers.
She’s not your mom.
Call her whatever you want.
My ex MIL has a family nickname I called her that
Would never call her mom
But that’s up to you

Both of my wives' mothers had died before we married, though I knew my first wife's mother prior to our marriage and her death. No, I had nothing to do with their deaths. I called my first wife's mother Mrs. (insert last name here), since I was a teenager when I knew her.

I call my mother-in-law by her first name and wouldn't change it even if my wife wanted me to.

When I was married, I called her mother-by-law.

I called her by her first name.

My mother-in-law has always been Judi - don't give 2-sh@ts what anyone feels about it. It used to be Mrs. Gagnon - we reached a compromise. I have one mom and I have no intention of assigning anyone else that title - don't give 2-shits what my in-laws think about it.

I call her by her name, or Grammy in relation to my kids.

Lauxa Level 5 Sep 2, 2018

2 legged snake? I was physically forced to give her a hug during "My Daughter Celebration of her Life". I always been True to my Feelings... No Sugarcoat! It is Personal!

I've never been married, but I call my exes parents by their first names. I never felt close enough to them to call them mom and dad.

I used to call her mom, even after our divorce. She was a very kind and caring woman.

Dead now, but I only called her by her first name. She wanted to be “Mom,” but I never felt the emotional tie.

UUNJ Level 8 Aug 14, 2018

You just don't throw "mom" around.

It’s ok to call more than one person mom, but it’s up to you to do what feels right to you. If it’s not genuine, you shouldn’t be pressured to call her that. If there is some other nickname that you both feel comfortable with, maybe ther is a compromise to be made, but first names should be fine.

I won’t say how I referred to my former MIL ?.

I’ve always been happy to call mine Mom. She’s pretty damn awesome.

Bipolar. Nah she's actually manic-depressive.

I called her by her first name because that's what she asked me to do

Ex-mother in law

Pilot Level 2 Aug 10, 2018

I always knew when my mother in law was visiting. The mice used to throw themselves on the traps.

In the south, we usually address our elders as Mr. or Ms.com/Mrs. So-and-so (first name), and the same applies to in-laws in my case. It's said to be out of respect. However, I do call his aunts and uncles Aunt/Uncle so-and-so.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:149807
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.