Agnostic.com

50 4

Why are men and women put under so much pressure to have kids in this society?

EmeraldJewel 7 Aug 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

50 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Most people in this country are religious and popping out those little critters fills the pews.

gearl Level 8 Aug 8, 2018

I know! My coworker and her husband have decided they don’t want kids and the pressure on them from both sides of their family is ridiculous. She tells me it comes up daily.

Ugh that’s annoying.

@Omen6Actual according to her she has. They still try to convince her to have kids so they can raise them. She’s like “hell no”

@Omen6Actual well, right now they live with her husband’s parents while they are house hunting. I imagine it will come to that when they move.

No society can survive without a health y birthrate. I think that explains the observation.

It’s just another form of programmed idiocy that too many don’t stop to question.

I love being told I’m being selfish for not having children. I prefer to call it wisdom, for knowing myself well enough and not giving af what anyone thinks of it.

Are they? I never noticed it myself (and have remained childless).

I didn't find find that true for myself...

Carin Level 8 Jan 7, 2019

I don't know, but you fertile ones better start cranking out little atheists, cause we're outnumbered....

I think the pressure comes from the older generations believing its an essential function for people to have more children, nowadays things have changed and there seems to be less pressure. People tend to be a lot more accepting of other peoples decisions (at least where I come from).

Personally I love kids and I want more, but not everyone does!

I haven't noticed this pressure....

Carin Level 8 Aug 10, 2018

Excellent question!

A successful life is:
high-school (athlete) -> college -> career -> marriage -> children -> retire -> die.
Miss out on any one of those and you've fucked up somewhere. So children aren't the only portion of it and you can debate gender roles in there.

Regardless society puts pressure on everything and you're part of it. Maybe you don't think that children are a necessary factor for success, but can you imagine seeing a minimum wage stoner and thinking he's successful at life? Judgment is not reserved only for the childless.

Its a holdover from pre-industrial days where large families meant more food production, then it became lessened after the 1860's. To a certian extent we are still under the bible which says: " Be fruitful and multiply".

Disease drove the large families,the mortality rate was huge,medicine today has mostly eliminated the killing ailments.

From a perspective of an existentialist, I would say:
We are part of nature. If we do not fuck with the purpose of having offspring, our ideas and our genes cease to exist. And according to Sean-Paul Sartre, existence is the most important thing in the world. You may ask why is it so important. Well, only existence make any things possible. If nothing exists, only non existence is possible. Even the opportunity to think about this topic requires existence.
You exist to day because you are an offspring of a never-ended line, till now, of reproduction for 4 Billion years. So those who didn't wanted or couldn't reproduce are forgotten. If they're lucky, we can see their bones and cave-paintings in museums.

So people evolved to carry for their reproduction. To me it's just an evolutionary preference.

As an moral nihilist, I can not give any moral advices.
But if you like yourself and prefer the world to be just a little bit more like you, reproduce your genes.

I think it's to provide the next generation of the working class, provide a legacy to ones life or a genetic push to keep the species going.
I don't really know, just pure speculation on my part.

Here is one very egregious example: The Mormon church, in which I was raised, is constantly encouraging its members to raise large families. I suspect the reason is to increase the membership of their cult. People who are born into Mormon families are more likely to become Mormons. And the more members the church has, the more money they rake in. They demand a tithing (10% of each member's income) on top of other offerings, which they demand be given generously.

It is very irresponsible. We need to decrease -- not increase -- the birth rate, because the overpopulation of humans is putting the entire world at risk via pollution, global warming, loss of animal habitat, etc.

Previous cultures thinking so its just a continuation

rino Level 1 Aug 8, 2018

In my case, it is a cultural thing... I married a guy JUST because i was 28 and family pressure was getting me (28 and no husband and no kids?? what is wrong with me?? it was my thoughts back then) so I married this man without loving him because in order to have kids, YOU HAVE TO BE MARRIED!! another cultural/religious pressure........
....today, I have an amazing 16 years old son, I am "happily" divorced and I would never, NEVER will get marry again. LOL.

IDK but this does seem to be true. I've found it that way in my lifetime. Parents and certain others might want to consider that the couple makes this choice and some couples are like Jay Leno and his wife. Neither of them want children. Not that they do not like children. It's just that they are not going to personally have children.

I love children and I'm good around them for a half hour or so. My mother used to always remind me that I used to be one. Don't get me wrong. I will defend a child's rights mostly because they are tiny people and are not able to do so. With many partners behind me I do have 2 daughters.

Seems to be a lot of negativity towards having children..like what benefit do I get?..

I'm sure that if someone is weighing up"benefits"they have already answered the question as to whether to have children..No...!

For me as a father of two girls ..it was one of the best experiences of my life..and the journey has only just begun.

I certainly don't think of them in terms of how they benefit me...

We laugh we love we share experiences..as a man I derive great joy from my children..and I have never regretted being a parent.

I'm equally sure..like marriage..its not for everyone..each to their own. IMO..

[agnostic.com]

@Mike1947

Good one!

I told my kids to live their life and be happy. My daughter then tells me I might get 1 grandchild and it will be from her gay brother ?. Healthy and happy is all I care about.

jab60 Level 6 Aug 8, 2018

@Omen6Actual I think that is what I will getting too

It's nature. Survival of the species. It's just that most people don't realize what's behind their lack-of-children shaming.

godef Level 7 Aug 8, 2018

The cause for pressuring people into having kids depends on the person, but in general each couple needs to have 2 children to replace them in the populace.

parents may want single people to share in the joy of parenting or they may be jealous of the self centered lifestyle of the non-parent.

A church may want their followers to have children to increase their numbers and/or increase the couples dependence on the church and community.

Social security beneficiaries might want more couples to have kids,so there is more taxable income for further generations of benefits.

Politicians may want more couples to have children to increase their voting base by familial indoctrination.

I'm sure theres more reasons.

To me this is a very interesting question because I thought we were at a point in history where we were past all that and people were put under NO pressure to have kids these days. At least that's what i observe around here. Kind of a "do your own thing" attitude. Fine if you do, fine if don't. I think many people are beginning to understand that overpopulation is a ticking bomb and on the verge of becoming a threat to our existence. If there is any "pressure" to have kids, it's a biological pressure since that is the primary design and function of human beings. If it wasn't, why would the sex drive be what it is? We may think it's for fun or pleasure, but the REASON we think that is to encourage procreation.

Genetics. Yet, the fertility of individuals has been dropping for men in high density areas.

Many of the chemicals in every day life(food,water,air) affect fertility. With women having a finite period of time to reproduce,the hunt for a viable male to mate with and have kids, get's crazy.

Since when

Qiru Level 6 Aug 7, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:150360
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.