Agnostic.com

87 1

Thoughts on Interracial Dating & Marriage

Are atheist, agnostics and freethinkers more or less open to dating and marrying someone of another race and why?

mbhorner 4 Aug 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

87 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well I believe with facts and common sense we are all one race so their can't be any interracial relationship because we are one race.

Good friend Ben, face reality,dump the wishful thinking when it comes to race,perhaps you are one of the rare species in America who are NOT anti-people.

@agnosticbuddhist Thanks for the article. I'm hoping people don't skip over the last paragraph.

Scientifically, you are correct. There is no such thing as “races” in humans. Racism is based on the false belief that (1) there are distinct races, and (2) that some races are “superior” (whatever that means). (And, of course, my race is superior to yours.) Thus, while there are no races, there is racism. We see similar hate-based discrimination on other traits: religion, the caste system, anti-semitism, and homophobia, to name a few.

Did you watch the royal wedding? Move on.

I think we should be cognizant of the fact that this is an international platform and not all places around the world share Western enlightenment values. Places like Yemen, Mali, Iran, Saudi Arabia, and Texas.

@Stepmomofdragons My school friends uncle made it to page 5 of the daily mirror (then the biggest newspaper in the UK) circa late 50s early 60s. because he married a black woman. Move on to the 70s and its no biggie in my hood. 2018 and the very heart of the English establishment has moved on too. Truth is in my hood you would get some very funny looks for even asking that question.
Okay maybe where I live is a-typical or hopefully the way we will all go.

@273kelvin Until 1967 when the US Supreme Court ruled in Loving vs. Virginia, it was a crime in many states to marry someone of a different race. One need not refer to the map showing the states that were forced by the courts to rescind their anti-miscegenation laws, but here it is for your information--no surprises here!
[aclu.org]

@273kelvin Married my Nigerian husband in 1979. I'm white. Old news around here.

@AlPastor Please don't assume that all people from Iran think or feel that way. I met the love of my life from Iran in the 70's. Still going strong

@ACDC Oh, I hope may comment didn't come off that way as I certainly don't assume that is the case. Also, congrats on your relationship, that is wonderful!

I do not see color.

So is everything you see just different shades of grey?

That’s unfortunate, because the human race is made up of beautiful shades and all should be acknowledged, loved, and appreciated for what they are, not ignored. ❤️ (But I know what you mean, of course...) ?

@Jenelle
I think of others as people in general. We are all the same humans. I don't look to analyze races and color. No I don't see color, I see people.

We are all a rainbow.

Like in Fairly Odd Parents? We're all just gray blobs?

I see no difference in Colour. What I do acknowledge is Culture compatibility .

We should all remember that culture is a choice, not something one is genetically coded for.

@pnfullifidian

Unfortunately, for the vast majority, culture is about as much a choice as is the language we speak, or the religion that was handed to us by our parents. Very few rise above how they were raised.

@Piratefish Agreed. Most are what we might call, comfortable. Change can be stressful, and growth almost painful. But just like gang, gun or rape culture (to the extent that such a thing may be called such), the culture that we as adults find ourselves in today can either be embraced or abandoned.

@pnfullifidian

I agree. It just seems that so very few give it any thought and simply just resort to the default culture in which they were raised.

I'm Irish/Scottish descent. I glow in the middle of the day and have never had a problem dating someone of different ethnicity. Other than the fact that they dumped me. 😛

@ProudMary
Hahaha! If I wear shorts, people flash their highbeams at my legs.

These poll results just in: 2 out of 3 of my exes were Asian/Pacific Islanders. So, I guess that makes me an equal opportunity jerk.

@Shelton at least one incredibly wonderful outcome was my smart, beautiful, half-Chinese daughter; the best thing I've done in my entire life.

I don’t think religion or lack of is a factor.

yes there is tons it is about prejedice

@benhmiller ummmmm....I don’t understand what that means

I have lived in nonwhite neighborhoods since 2006. I find a lot of white people for the most part ugly. Of the guys I have dated, the most respectful were the Black men. I have never been assaulted by anyone who was not a white man. Although I have faced danger from both Blacks and whites, it was the Black predator whose sense of chivalry I was able to awaken when he was stalking me (3 AM, alone, party dress from dancing at the Harvard club, most dangerous borough of Brooklyn) by turning around and asking him to walk me home (turning myself from victim into somebody's sister or mother).

But I am very wary of dating men from disgustingly and frighteningly sexist cultures; and there is a country from which every man I have dated was excruciatingly boring, so I keep away from that nationality.

@Compassion8doubt Ok a little much but... at some point a person has to learn a pattern!

Same nation, same men, in my not too small experience; when in positions of power (doctors, professors) are always extremely condescending to women, especially young women, and do not place any worth At All on what a woman in a position they see as lower than them has to say or think.

Again, a whole nation of sexist asses? Maybe not, but at some point I have to stop giving this category of person a chance~ in my life

I hope that freethinkers are not affected by race when it comes to dating choices. I don't believe that one should be. That being said, thinking back, I dated one First Nations person, and that's about it when it comes to other races. I'm Latina myself, so does that count? I think that my own dating choices had more to do with who was around than race, but maybe that was an unconscious factor.I am surprised by how many people on dating sites say that they only want to date their own race. I click past them. I don't want a relationship with a bigot. I don't even understand where that would come from.

@calendarman I hope not.

I want a Latina Asian woman with a black penis.

pretty open minded...I must say!

@bubaj50 lol

Don't marry outside the human race if you plan to have children.

It seems to work out on Star Trek all the time...

@Paul4747 Of course it does there.

I can't see it being an issue at all

I'm not racist. You could be any color or scotch plaid and I wouldn't care, Can't speak for other athiests!

I don't know about that. If I saw someone with scotch plaid skin color, I would think they had some type of disease and would probably stay away him/her.

Racism seems to in part be a product of religion to some extent. I see no color. I date men of different races and should one want a serious relationship, I would not be opposed. In January my lover and best friend died. He was black and beautiful. I miss him terribly.

My girlfriend is a big fan of interracial "dating". She loves getting her brains dated out any chance she can get. ? It's fine with me.
And of course, there's
Halle Berry

From my experience less religious people tend to be more open minded. I personally am attracted to the person, not the skin or genitalia they happen to be born with.

I will date anyone of the Human race, A Vulcan maybe, a Klingon I would have to think about it. Character defines who you are not the color of your skin.

Have you seen those Klingon bitches in bed, whoaaaa bring it on but wouldn't want to marry one.

I'm Canadian, we don't care about that.

First of all there may be different ethnic groups but there's only one race the race of man and what you call interracial dating should be just considered dating

By the way for you folks who feel that saying the race of man maybe a little misogynistic go ahead and change that to the human race

I don't know that a person's belief or lack of belief has anything to do with it, other than I notice that conservatism, religion, and racism seem to often intertwine. I think religion encourages tribalism to a greater degree, and for some, tribalism = racism. Just my rambling thoughts, though. Perhaps I'm totally wrong.

Deb57 Level 8 Aug 21, 2018

No, I think you're absolutely right. We have many social patterns that have old roots in tribalism, and probably pre-date civilization. You can see this on a different scale when people from neighboring states in the U.S. show active antipathy towards each other.

When I was 12 I solved the racial discrimination problem by mandating interracial marriage. In a couple generations it wouldn't be an issue. I knew from an early age skin color was no factor in who I shared my world with. It seems I'm among mostly like-minded folks on this site.

@Louiseann That is also what I thought as a child. Still think that it would work.

I love women from all origins.

On my book, a beautiful woman is a beautiful woman regardless of race

I don’t know if it’s ACTUALLY different in the west/midwest/south (okay, maybe there...) or if it’s just how I was raised, but up here in Boston it barely registers in my mind, and even then it might be just that perhaps I noticed because I see how beautifully the different skin tones look together or something of that nature! It’s nice to see TV and movies catching up recently, whether they point it out or not is personal to every family’s story but hardly ever is it shown as anything but normal.

We all bleed red blood, it's just pigmentation as far as the skin is. So, yes i am/would, no issue here.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:152404
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.