Agnostic.com

12 3

Family and Religion

I come from a very religious family, most of them respect my opinions and we just don't discuss religion. However I have a few family members who are bound and determined to save my damned soul. How do you deal with these family members?

marksam8484 6 Aug 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

i do not have this experience at all, having been raised in a secular jewish household. my atheism didn't make the news in that household! but i can make a suggestion: smile politely and say "thank you for your input." if they continue, repeat that. rinse and repeat.

g

Use this:

Do you believe that God can heal people? They will say yes.

Is there any condition that God cannot heal? They will say no.

The Amputee Coalition of America estimates that there is an estimated population of 2 million American amputees. About 70% of Americans are Christians. So there are 1.4 million Christian Amputees in America. If there is a God, and he heals those of faith, then there should be no shortage of Christians regrowing limbs.

Ask to meet one of these Christians.

God only heals conditions that meet the following criteria.

1. The ailment has no outward or measurable symptoms. "Faith healer fodder."
  2. The ailment can be overcome by the immune system. "God heals but it takes time."
  3. The ailment can be overcome through modern medicine. "God cured my cancer."

This will trip up most everyone, I know it did me.

I never know whether to laugh at the silliness of such idea's or if I should cry at the level of ignorance!

Gentle humour. The occasional pot shot just for fun.

I have little too no contact with the highly religious people in my family.

Avoid. Politely ignore. Change the subject. Tell them firmly, but forcefully, that you appreciate their desire to save you but you have found your own path.

Some combination is the best I've figured out. Good luck.

Smile, be cordial, and reject the offer. In my experience, taking on a confrontational stance strengthens their resolve. If you can project a positive outlook on where you're at in your life, it makes it harder to pitch their faith. Dont expect them to stop, either. Their persistence is to make themselves feel better and has nothing to do with you.

I often use a behaviorist method that works very quickly.

Only look at and pay attention to people who avoid religious talk and behave normally to you. The moment they start to talk about religion, look distracted and bored, glance at your watch, mumble, "Um, hum..that's nice," in a patronizing manner, then act as though you remember something you need to do and LEAVE.

Don't engage with, or even notice them as long as they are talking about religion.

Nobody likes being ignored, and if you are consistent, they are quickly trained.

I trained my own parents in three visits.

I've excised those people from my life, with no remorse.
They don't respect me. Why on earth should I allow them to
get away with that?
I don't miss them.

How do you deal with family members trying to save your damned soul? Avoid them. It's the only way.

Now imagine your family being taught that this life means nothing and it is only a training ground for the life you will have after you are dead. Yes, after you are dead is when you really start living. In order for this to happen you must let dead Jesus into your heart so he can save an invisible part of you (your soul) and keep it from going to an imaginary place of bad things. You want this invisible soul to go to imaginary heaven so it can live forever with Jesus and the imaginary god. This is so real to me that I can almost taste it and start speaking in tongues right now.

Avoid them and just live your life. This is probably the only life you will get.

Try to save their mind.

Tell them that you respect their rights to believe as they choose and that you will not treat them with disrespect by bombarding them with conversion attempts -- and that you DEMAND that they treat you with equal respect if they want to continue their relationship with you. I had to say that to a friend of 50 years who has turned ultra religious. It worked.

My mom is very religious. She knows I'm atheist. She always says she praying for me even though she knows I don't believe. I honestly don't care. If it makes her feel better.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:152508
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.