Agnostic.com

17 8

So, I just watched the end of the football game between the Saints and the Vikings this evening.

With about 15 seconds left a receiver for the Vikings made a great catch for a touchdown to win the game.

When interviewed he was asked how he did it and he replied: "It was all god, he put me in the right place to beat the devil".

I guess his god had nothing better to do than get him that touchdown.

It annoys me a little when I hear that, and they say it a lot.

Does this bug anyone else?

Paul628 8 Jan 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It was a fantastic finish. That was a great game. I didn’t care for all of the god talk at end either, but I try to be understanding with the believers. I’ve been there, done that.

That is because god place a bet on the Vikings in Vegas. The people in New Orleans did not go to confession or prayed enough.

LOL

Well watching the highlights you have to say the defending player missed his tackle by a mile,it looked like the devil made him see two recievers and he went for the wrong one,

God comments, pointing to the sky, etc, by athletes thanking god for spectacular performances annoys the “hell” out of me... but never blaming god for their failure to hold onto that winning catch or striking out to lose the game.
However, it was a spectacular 2nd half... now let’s all pray that the Phila Eagles beat those sissy god fearing Vikings next weekend.

Tomas Level 7 Jan 15, 2018

The worst case was in a world cup (soccer) match England vs Argentina. Maradona jumped up and as the replay clearly showed scored a goal with his hand. The ref allowed the goal and when questioned Maradona said "It was the hand of god"

It bugs me because this god crediting nonsense seems more of a recent phenomenon to me. I do not recall players doing it back in the 70s-80s. My hypothesis is that they do it for attention: to impress fellow churchies. Honestly, I'd rather do without it.

Zster Level 8 Jan 15, 2018

I saw that game, and it was a really good, high scoring game. It does bug me when they say that. The amount of work they go through, strength training, game reviews, play reviews and practice, just to name a few, is amazing. That's why they can make plays like that. They don't blame God when they fumble the ball or miss a field goal. It makes no sense.

Yay! An Arian Foster quote. One of the few big/semi-big name NFL players to openly profess his non-belief.

@kmdskit3 I live in Houston and followed Arian Foster when he played for the Texans. He was a great athlete for a few years and very open minded. I still follow him on Twitter.

Haha my brother in law was watching the same interview on his phone and I overheard the player make the same statements. I proceeded to tell my brother in law and my sister how I hate players and teams that pin their winning on god, it’s like he has a different favorite team every week.

ya I hope my pats don't do it next week.

Not at all, is his brain, his pulpit. What ever.

Sorry, little girl about to die of cancer, there's an NFL team that really needs my help.

Sethy Level 4 Jan 15, 2018

Right?

Don't watch it anymore. Sounds interesting though.

It's silly. It's bad and they should feel bad. I wonder how much of it is bullshit they say to please the bible thumpers.

I wonder if it's to please their mother or grandma.

Not any more. I guess I have become immune.

It is incredibly annoying! But go Vikings!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry, I’m from MN.

Lilie Level 6 Jan 14, 2018

...as well you should be... being from MN. GO EAGLES !!!
(kidding)

Let’s see if they can make it! @Thockemeier

I guess the Saints didn't pray hard enough?

dkp93 Level 8 Jan 14, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15319
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.