Agnostic.com

24 5

Old habits die hard. Ever manage to kill a bad habit? Or, is there one you'd like to kill?

Every habit I've managed to get rid of, it was by substituting better habits. Making routines and slowly weeding out the bad ones.

Currently, I need more physical activity in my life. I spend a lot of time on the PC, so I've taken out my standing desk. I'm going to start taking my camera on weekend walks when the weather is nice, too. I'll add in other things once I've made these habits stick. Small goals are better, IMO.

So, do you have a habit you want to kill or reduce? Or, have you managed to change any habits? If so, by what process?

silvereyes 8 Jan 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I bite my nails, all my life. It used to be all my fingers. now it is just 3. I would like to totally stop

Same here... ugh!

i did that. smoothing the edges helped me. a small pocket file instead of teeth.

I had horrible nails all my life, very weak thin, and slow growing. Then I got acrylic nails, stronger than my natural nails. Downside is cost and upkeep, however the nails look great most of the time. I've had acrylics since January 2009, and not planning to stop. Yeah it is way counter to my mostly natural lifestyle, but I can live that that dissonance, for now.

@AMGT that sounds like a good idea The way I quit biting the 7 was wit
h a hypnotic suggestion to groom them rather than bite them. I do a lot of farm work and work with muc. That complicates things!

I lost 50 pounds easily by cutting sugar out of my diet. Sugar is highly addictive. I've put about 20 back on with a job change and more stress. I need to get that habit back under control. Yes, more exercise would help but it is in the single digits, no outside activities until March!

I am doing low carb way of eating

@silvereyes wind bites

A couple weeks ago the windchill took the temperature down to -40, that’s scary cold. @btroje

@Funandfondles definitely/ I was in minus 30 once without wind factors that was enough

That is worse, you can’t get out of it. Stay warm! @btroje

@Funandfondles it was a freak event here and I stayed warm!

Shopping. If I don't go to the store I won't buy anything. Also stopped buying soda. Drink water.

I cannot deal with carbonation, gives me gas like no other! Never got into a soda or beer habit. Probably a good thing for me.

Laziness. Still thinking about how to kill it sitting on my couch.

I quit drinking for awhile. Wife had socki at the Japanese resturaunt Saturday.... Yuck! I need to stop sweets. Let my wife cook instead of me. Need to work out. I hear you.

@silvereyes. Smells like it too...lol.

I had a really good blueberry saki once at an Asian fusion restaurant.

@Funandfondles. Damn that sounds yummy

I gave up smoking when I was young. I stopped drinking and smoking pot 28 years ago. I gave up fast food around 30 years ago. I started running after I stopped drinking, but had to give it up because of a bad back. The only bad habits I have now are electronic devices, like this tablet and the TV.

I think life is about evolving. Lots of things don't work out so well so I am constantly looking for other ways. Everyday habits are constantly tweaked for a better (usually easier) way. I agree when things don't work out it is time to try something new.

I used to have more time when things were shared. I had more time to do projects and to hike. This site has not helped but when the sun is out, which it has been a lot this year, I am determined to walk, to the village (1 mile) to friends (1 mile) or around the block (2.5 miles) and have done so recently.

I've given up weed, booze, smoking and all other illegal drugs. it wasn't easy but its been a while. I can only do it by just cutting it out.

I draw keep fish read gardening chat have dogs

I had been lucky to never smoke, I went about 5 years more or less without alcohol consumption. So I go months now without using it, If I want to. I do have my critics of throwing away money instead of giving it to them. Accused of not giving a fuck. Total disregard for any order that will enslave to a place. I had been accused of moving on too easily after breaking up. My biggest habit and is since the very beginning... "I was given the power to regardless who owns the chalk that is writing in my heart... I am the only one with the eraser." And I do love my habits, including the one of avoiding medications from headache tylenol up to heart surgery I reckon. I had given orders to my children that if I ever need a transplant I will pass, If my heart stop punch me but nothing beyond that. Do not prolong my passing when my passing arrive unless I am in stable, close relationship with someone that will suffer with my passing.

I permanently quit smoking, nail biting, and a drug that i was addicted to. I quit nail biting and the drug using willpower one minute at a time. But tobacco was the hardest for me. I tried willpower, then nicorette gum, then the nicotine patch. The patch worked. I have no current bad habits that I want to kill but i am following a Paleo diet for 4 years now with moderate success.

I would like to give up the habit of quitting habits.

I need to give up my phone before bed (as I do it right now) gave up soda, coffee, and dessert after a meal.

My brain would race out of control gazillions of thoughts at once never ending never shut off. I had met some with the same issue and we had talked after a few days I never had that problem again. Don't get me wrong I still think a gazillion thoughts, somehow from that one experience I learned how to control them. My thought were so complex and intense people would accuse me of being on drugs to which I never did.

I caught pneumonia after 2 weeks in the hospital not only could I not smoke cigarettes I couldn't be 20 ft from a cigarette without getting bent over sick just from the smell. Problem solved!

My lifelong love affair with sugar. I'm in good shape, Same size as I was in my 20's. I eat healthy. Never drank or smoked. I work out regularly. But like some smokers, I get off sugar, feel noticeably better right away ... but then manage to be seduced back into my old habits at some point .

Lately, I've been thinking of trying hypnosis - or something ! damn.

@silvereyes Been using it for years in tea, and a rare bowl of cereal. I'm talkin' candy - all kinds, home baked desserts - at which I excel, unfortunately. All that.

I am regularly seduced to the sugar side. Holidays and family birthdays are now over for the next 8 weeks, kick the sugar habit again.

@silvereyes "I don't have much of a sweet tooth these days" - this is where we differ. I have a whole mouth full of sweet teeth ! I could eat any of those things and appreciate their sweetness, and a half hour later still covet a bag of M&M's or jelly beans ! Ha

I was into coke a while back but the habit was easy to kick. It just cost to much and was dangerous. But now I have a trolling habit. I don't troll all the time just in retaliation I love to spite people when I know there wrong. It gets me into trouble a lot and people don't understand why I do it. Well don't be acting like an idiot is my usual response. I always apologize when I'm wrong why don't you. it is a bad habit though I don't know if killing the habit is necessary though.

I'd like to quit smoking but I don't want to gain weight. I use whitening strips to counter the tar from smoking and I'm in very good health. I'm getting older and know I have to smoke less and less. That's it, I'm cutting smoking in half for a while then half again. I think 5 cigs a day would be perfect for me. It's my only vise. I drink very little alcohol thank goodness and I'm on no meds. I'm doing pretty good for 53.

I gave up smoking when I was young. I stopped drinking and smoking pot 28 years ago. I gave up fast food around 30 years ago. I started running after I stopped drinking, but had to give it up because of a bad back. The only bad habits I have now are electronic devices, like this tablet and the TV.

I am a BIC lighter thief, it is a genetic fault and bad habit. (more on the genetics later). It used to be everytime I asked someone for a light, if they handed me their BIC lighter, it automatically went into my pocket. Zippo lighters were always returned, I didn't pocket those. Now the funny part of this is I hadn't visited my Mom in many years and I asked her for a light. She directed me to a kitchen drawer. When I opened it, there must have been 20 BIC lighters in there. 'What are you doing with all these lighters Mom? She replied "oh they just find there way into my purse and end up in there", damn genetics. I finally beat the bad habit by just being aware of it.

chocolate, fizzy drinks, nail biting, fast food. can't think of any others

Yes , February 15th will be two years without smoking

good job

I caught pneumonia after 2 weeks in the hospital not only could I not smoke cigarettes I couldn't be 20 ft from a cigarette without getting bent over sick just from the smell. Problem solved!

When I stopped smoking Everyone called me a 'quitter.' Fuck them! I do not smoke.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15560
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.