Agnostic.com

29 2

What makes you choose the poitics you support?

Both parties have become comfortable using the term "identity politics"which has many different interpretations stemming from far left ideas to the far right extremes.Generally it expresses the political strategy and attitudes of the electorate based upon their personnel experiences and identity.For example atheists might gather together to oppose church vs state issues based upon a shared identity.These individuals may have all gone to religious schools as their common experience.

Marine 8 Aug 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Research. I am a librarian, and I did tons of research. Gop has been pulling shit to bash dems because they are racist greedy thugs. They couldn't handle that Obama could have done amazing things so they hindered his every move. They couldn't handle a woman in the white house so they incited witch hunt after witch hunt, which never amounted to anything, so they brought russia in to win the election for them. After researching what bullshit the investigations into Hillary were, seeing how they screwed Obama's presidency at every turn and then seeing how they hacked the election, I will never vote anything other than blue, and it's all thanks to the crooks in the current administration!

You sound so very disenchanted. Would a small tax cut cheer you you up? How about a mighty military parade? I share much of your pain. Vote in November and bring someone wtih you who might have not voted last time.

I base my political beliefs and actions on several things:

1. The basis of my moral code -- minimum violation of human dignity and respect.
  2. The logical and factual results of specific courses of action advocated by different political ideologies and parties.
  3. Hard-headed respect for truth.
  4. Pursuit of democracy.

I go with the party who's policies benefit people and make their lives better.

I am a ticket splitter. Party politics often puts principles ahead of prudence. I look for progressive action which helps us enjoy our freedom more without doing harm to our neighbor. Compromise and inclusiveness are important values for me.

Social justice is my driving force. I worked for many years with the mentally ill. You can be a homeless, acoholic, schizophrenic and still be entitled to be treated with dignity

My values, education, reading and research make me a lifelong Democrat and environmentalist.

At age 10 with my family, I watched President John F. Kennedy's Inaugural Address. When he said, "Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country," those words hit me in the center of my chest.

"Ich bin ein Berliner."

@BufftonBeotch Ich bin ein Berliner... one of the funniest jokes in Germany. ???

@GinaMaria

I don't understand the joke. Please explain.

@LiterateHiker JFK’s German was off. I’m not sure how the Germans would say it, but translated literally, JFK said, “I am a donut”. A berliner is some sort of pastry.

@WilliamFleming That is funny. Don't quote in foreign unless you are damn sure.

@LiterateHiker He should have said, "Ich bin Berliner." What he said instead was, "I am a jelly donut."

Data & Compassion

Human rights are at the top of my list. I will vote for the party that will best help all people. Right now, that’s the Democrats. I don’t see that changing soon, but that’s the most important issue to me.

Being a decent human being

I like to think I can put myself in situations that someone like me might not normally be in and show a bit of empathy, and adjust my public policy positions accordingly. Also, I prefer not to be politically associated with racists or misogynists. And the wall between Church and State needs to atomic bomb fallout shelter thick and impenetrable.

Conservatives do not have the ability to govern. You can only govern for tomorrow and the future. Conservatives always look to and live in the past.

@MereMortal Actually they have none. There is not one idea they have that is not regressive. In the 60's, 70's, and into the 80's, they longed for the 50's. In the 90's and into the new century, they longed for the Reagan years. They have forgotten a vey important principle of Capitalism: A strong middle class is necessary for a successful economy in our current system.

@MereMortal l guess we have a different definition of 'really smart'.

Empathy and conscience..

I don't choose by politics, it's politics that try to get me to choose it.

godef Level 7 Aug 15, 2018

If it's a primary I'm democratic and in a general election I try to go with who I think may actually do a good job.
And then await the disappointment.

My life experiences and observations.

Abortion rights. If you're not down with a woman's right to privacy, then I'm not down with you.

Common sense, and basic human decency.

Been thinking America is not Republicans versus Democrats, but "haves" versus "have-nots". The "haves" have the money to pay Congress to make laws favorable to themselves. The "have-nots" don't have the ability to do that. The "haves" want the rest of us fighting among ourselves. The 1% has half the money in the country, as is, and the gap gets wider every year.

I'm neither Republican nor Democrat. I'm a "have-not". I try to identify the least harmful of the candidates. Trump's an idiot with the nuclear launch-codes, so he's not the least harmful.

Bernie explains it a little bit.

@david75090 Bernie’s a goddamn idiot!

What part of the truth didn't you agree with?

@Trajan61 You'll disagree with this too.

[dailykos.com]

at first i was a democrat because that's what i heard in the house, but that didn't last long. oh, i remained a democrat; i mean that my reason for being one changed. at 15, the same age at which i became an atheist, and for the same reason i became an atheist, my being a democrat took on its own life, even though i wasn't old enough to vote. that is the year i questioned everything. some things withstood the questioning. my political bent was one of them. some didn't. god didn't. but why did i decide that this was the road for me? because although the following might be a cliché, it is also largely true: republicans don't care about people in trouble until they themselves are in trouble, or someone in the family is. it has to happen to them to become real. "this happened to me." democrats think, "this shouldn't happen to ANYONE." i guess it's a matter of empathy. (by the way, i never went to a religious school, and i wasn't raised as a christian, either.)

g

I’ve been an open heart RN for 25 years. I’ve seen many people denied care because of lack of insurance. My ex is a contractor and we bought our insurance off of the exchange. For the first time ever millions of people had insurance that didn’t before. As a Canadian, I believe health care is a human right and don’t understand why universal coverage is not standard here. Healthcare and climate change, human rights, civil rights are why I will always stay Democrat and turn Texas blue.

I base my politics on facts, logic, belief in democracy, and the basis of my moral code -- choices based on minimum violation of human dignity and respect. Those choices come from my life as an an adult, and on my learning -- not on my upbringing or the culture in which I was reared.

Any person that favors less government and the 2nd amendment would have to be an idiot to vote for the democrats. Since I favor both I voted for Trump and definitely don’t regret it as he has done a lot to undo damage done by that left wing idiot Obama and also with his Supreme Court nominations the 2nd amendment will be preserved for a good while yet.

Speaking of idiots...would love to debate all the good the guy you voted for has done, like forgetting the 1st Amendment. That one counts too right? More guns purchased than ever before during Obama's reign, you remember, the guy that was going to take your guns? Damage? Like providing health care for all. Or did you already have it, so you don't care who else can get it? You like campaign finance felonies for your president? The guy who likes heroes who haven't been captured? I like good guys (manafort) who aren't convicted felons. If you mean by "less government" doing nothing, you've got your guy. He undoes a lot but he's done what? You know your party is running the country right? Notice all the corruption around your crime boss president? Can you imagine the fit you'd be throwing if it was a democrat cozying up to the russians or having their attorney testify under oath that he directed them to commit a felony? Left wing idiot? Your guy doesnt even know that Israel is in the middle east and thinks co-conspirators shouldn't be able to testify against each other. It's honor among thieves right? That's the Republican way you subscribe to? Ok, hotshot, since you're so up on the constitution, show me where it says you're allowed to have any kind of gun you want. Do you want Supreme Court case law that says you cant? Can you yell fire in a crowded theater? Tell me. Do you know the answer? I'm sure I'm beating my head against the wall but happy to debate it all with you, if you're up for it.

@lerlo As a life long cattle rancher why would I support the democrats. Hell Obama once gave a speech saying cows were responsible for global warming and the state of California already has a cow gas tax. The democrats have virtually lost all support from the rural areas especially cattlemen. Hell they are a grave threat to our livelihood. Trump has got China to open up there markets to US beef for the first time in years and has also done away with many burdensome regulations imposed by that idiot Obama which cost an enormous amount but did little good. I decline to debate with idiots like you as we are far apart in our outlook for our country and I’m sure if civil war ever erupts in our country you and I will be on opposite sides.

@Trajan61 I know facts don't matter to you, maybe you can't read, but here is what your idiot is doing to farmers because he has no clue about trade:
[reuters.com]
I also notice you ducked everything I said about what an idiot YOUR candidate is because you can't rebut it, which is why you don't debate idiots like me. Own up to it, you hate everything Obama did because he's black. It's ok to be racist these days because the president is. When that civil war happens, both sides will have guns and although your side will start it, the guys with the brains will win. It's called strategy. I know about your outlook for the country: White and stupid but allowed to kill anything and anybody you want, just like in the wild west. No courts, if your co-conspirator rats on you, you just kill them. You're crystal clear.

I don't vote for parties. I vote for candidates with ideologies I most agree with. Whether they are sincere or not is another issue. Both main parties are too "business-like" for me, among other things. They deal more in the realm of marketing than they do in politics. Both might be synonymous though. It seems like they are constantly coming up with new terms to try to shape consensus or divide us one way or another. Identity politics is nothing new though. It was first mentioned in the 60s and 70s. It's not even a term that needs to be mentioned as it's natural among voters already. Politicians have used the term to their advantage though. It kind of goes back to the other recent thread in here about "Post Truth" politics. It's all a marketing campaign based on emotions.

I don't choose as they're all self-serving arseholes

Even if you do not agree if you do not vote none of your views would be supported and a few still is better than none.

@Marine never trust governments

@LeighShelton Don't agree there as some government are better than others. I wouldn't like Russia.

@Marine some do seam better

I am a democrate bcause they are for helping people, animals, and the earth. They are not for war first but will use it as near last resort.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:156043
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.