Agnostic.com

28 5

What is the scariest thing you've ever done.

Ottimista 4 Jan 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Being a single mom with no backup.

Iffy Level 5 Jan 18, 2018

Not sure if scary can mean just dangerous but for me it was 1995, on a motorcycle trip in Thailand. I was living there then, keen to get back to my girl, on return journey, last leg, great new highway, little traffic, wide open area, perfect weather, no police or anything like that to worry about back then, and I opened the thing up to 160k on a straight stretch. Got a speed vibration, then up to 175 kph and steady as a rock. Held it like that for a long time. The straight stretch was amazing. I can still remembering the exhilaration, the world coming at me so fast at that speed, and I felt so peaceful and relaxed, strange to say. I remember it so well. And the bike wasn't flat out, nothing like it. Could easily have pushed 200kph++. But at that speed even on the longest stretch you soon run out of straight road. Never did it again, but glad I did it once.

Take responsibility for other people's children.

Taken a hard fall on Long's Peak, just about a Diamond which is a 1000 foot shear cliff. I was about 20 yards from the diamond lip and on a high slope snow field. My ice ax and I became separated during the fall so when I reached for it to self arrest, it wasn't there. I self arrested using my face into the snow. Obviously, that worked.

Now I girth hitch my ice ax to my climbing harness.

Probably the first time I worked derricks on a big rig tripping 12K feet of pipe out of a hole. Standing on a "diving board" one foot wide made of slick steel, 90ft above a steel rig floor and 130ft above the ground handling pipe that weighed thousands of pounds. I was scared of the height but more scared I would fail to do the job!

Suicide. Surviving, not attempting. Deciding to care about life again after having planned on dying.

I didnt get the choice in the matter but I went into DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis ) on a cruise ship off the coast of Jamaica. Took 4 days to get back to florida because at the time I didn't know I was a type 1 and drs on board didn't seem to know the seriousness of the situation.

Went back to Montana to visit my family for the first time in twenty years.

OK-this is my scariest situation. The decisions I made and those made by others got me in a dangerous predicament. When I was 21 I was in Israel with a group of students and two hippie professors with 40 lb packs and no itinerary. I had a friend from college and friends from a previous trip that I ended up hanging with. Separated from the group I came with I was staying in youth hostels and meeting people from all over the world. I decided to travel south with a couple of Americans I met in Jerusalem. We took a bus to Ein Geidi, a desert oasis where they decided to stay. I declined because the hostel was unsafe-no locks on the doors and no security. I ended up taking another bus to Eilat, down by the Red Sea and Saudi Arabia. I met some people there from Canada, Germany and France. One day, on a Saturday, a day when few people drive in Israel for religious reasons we decided to hitchhike, hoping we could get a ride from someone down the long and winding road by the red sea. We were going to visit some fijords. So the four of us, Canadian guy, myself, German woman and French woman set out on this "adventure." A car miraculously came down the road and the Canadian guy puts the two other women in the car and instructs the driver in Hebrew where to take them. A while later another car comes down the road full of Israeli soldiers. He pushes me in the car and again tells them where to take me in Hebrew. He shut s the door with me in the back seat with two soldiers and two more in the front. We head down the road and I am trying to get them to stop the car and let me out. They ignore my pleas. Now I am trying to wrench open the door and jump out. They finally stop the car and let me out. I look around. All I see are camels, Arabs and more soldiers. Realizing this was not safe I went out to the road and decided to flag down the next car coming down the road. I quickly reasoned it had to be a better situation than the one I was already in. That is exactly what I did. The next car was a family from Worcester, MA and after some discussion we realized that the previous summer I had worked with their nephew Udi at a camp in Maine. Had an enjoyable day with them. Small world isn't it?

You are very lucky you could have ended up being part of a harem.

Jumping out of an airplane. I didn't think it would be that scary. Turned out to be pretty terrifying.

The airborne always say you are going to make me jump out of a perfectly good airplane. They do it anyway just kind of humor they use.

An american friend in Puerto Rico that I used to hangout with in his place in my high school days. I came visit with my HS buddy, He just let me in at the door, within 5 seconds he collapsed on the floor. I let my buddy that was outside in. And we both saved his life from a heroin overdose. Only other person in the place was his current girlfriend. We gave him a shot of saltwater and put his testicles on ice. He was at least 10 years older than us. But he really appreciated me and my buddy as gods after that day. We just did what we knew that work in a case like that according to the street and didn't even occurred to us to call an ambulance. We just acted while she cried and screamed. We went on autopilot... makes me wonder sometimes because we were none older than 18 for sure and non users but had seen it done before. ...Now the Scariest thing ever done to me that is a different story.

On Purpose?

cared for people post op, just not my style, weak stomach, I faint easily.

The number one fear most people have is public speaking. Ramp that up a few notches and you can begin to imagine my trepidation walking out on a stage to do my one and only standup performance at a comedy club.

Scratched that off my bucket list.

I had a tornado touch down while I was driving, so close that the tip was less than a hundred feet away. That was the scariest thing I've ever been through.

Confrontation by a crazy man intent on killing me. It was either him or me that was going to live. I chose me. It was terrifying. Something that I don't wish on anyone.

I was going to give an example, but after reading some of the comments, decided my adventures might seem lame

I used to drink a lot in my 20s and early 30s and every party can lead to some scary shit. I’ve been over the moon happy since I quit drinking. Others seem to do well with drinking, I’m just not one of them.

Went into a roundabout at a 120 mph and the brakes faded so had to bounce up and down curbs and hope nothing was coming.

Racing on the high banked dirt, 1/4 oval, short track. Limited modified. Didn't have time to be scared once the race started, but sitting in my race car in the staging area, waiting to be called onto the track was nerve racking. Saw two men die on the track in two separate wrecks in 2007. Raced a couple of times in 2008 and finally admitted to myself that I had lost my nerve and sold the race car. I hardly ever go now to watch them race.

One day I was heading to work in my dad's 1986 Pontiac Trans Am. The 15 mile stretch of I-70 was clear. I reached the next town where I worked and took the exit. When I pressed on the brakes the pedal went to the floor. I pumped them to no avail. I was speeding toward the light on the traffic light on a busy street. I pulled the emergency brake and the rear wheels didn't lock. It had rained quite a bit the day before and I thought the mud would slow me down. I pushed the gear lever into neutral, aimed the car into the valley between the highway and the off-ramp. The car wasn't losing enough speed and at that speed if I turned sharp the car would've flipped. The thought entered my mind to push the gear lever into park, but I didn't. Instead I threaded the space between a pole and guy-wire. I hit the slope up to the surface street. It ramped me into the air over the lanes. Thankfully, they were empty at that moment. I slammed down on the other side of the surface street and drove down into the valley between the highway and the on-ramp. I had burned off enough speed to make a tight circle in the muddy grass. Luckily, I came out of the ordeal unscathed and the car was remarkably undamaged. Needless to say, I was late to work that day.

Gohan Level 7 Jan 18, 2018

Patient extraction from a double black diamond on boiler plate with no tail roper in the spring. Lots of rocks, fast ice, 300lbs in tow and an already threatened life in my hands (brain hemmorage), on a snowboard. Oh, did I mention the 80 foot cliff that I was barreling towards for the first half of the trail?

Years ago, I was trying to extricate myself from a relationship that no longer worked .
However, for him - I was his first serious love, and he did not take things well.

At one point I heard him say , "if I can't have you, no one will !". He and his family happened to be into guns, and were all good shots.

One day, I was home, and heard his truck pull up. I immediately turned off music, locked doors, and hunkered down below window level to wait it out silently. I peeked out quickly, and saw him approaching, carrying a rifle ...

I heard him come onto the porch. He knocked several times, then sat down on the deck and proceeded to talk to himself for almost an hour. Geez.
He finally left ... and much later , gradually moved on in his life. (whew !)

After this, I summoned the help of my boss (me and this guy worked in the same place), my co-workers, and friends, to stay safe.

Gone to Catholic mass 😀

Was on mine watch, during Desert Storm. Just a day or so before that they had qualified E4 and above to carry a 45 caliber. So I was a boatswain's mate, which basically meant I was qualified for just about every job. The port look out had to do a head call. The captain happen to be on the bridge. He tells me he was going to take mine watch for me and to relieve the port look out. So I relieved port look out. I did a scan of the watch area. I was the first to repot all clear the next fantail all clear starboard look out all clear, mine watch all clear. About 5 seconds later a black ops helicopter was about 6 feet from my head quiet as a whisper. Was not sure was friendly or foe went for my 45 capitan said boats stand down. He walked out to port look out at this point said did not intend to alarm you. If they are good enough to get by you meaning me they are good. Was an awesome complement, think I just about crapped my pants over that one.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16212
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.