Agnostic.com

21 2

"It's not what I say, it's what the Bible says."

How do you respond in discussions with people when they have a view about something but when questioned about why they think that claim it's not really their choice because the "Bible tells me so"?

raines 4 Aug 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I typically pull out do you agree with slavery, genocide, raping young girls, stoning people, etc.? These are things the bible is ok with, so you should support them 100%.

I ask them to explain about Easter. Jesus rising, leaving the darkness and coming up out of the cave . . . and does that mean we'll have six more weeks of winter or nah . . . . ?

I don't debate fairy tales.

Look around for hidden cameras, signs that I'm being punked.

1. Why should I care what the Bible says?
  2. I didn't ask what the bible says, I asked YOUR honest opinion, are you capable of telling me that?
  3. Oh I see, so you mean you don't agree with it, you're just to frightened of your god to object?Then doesn't it say more about you that you choose to agree with it unquestioningly when you know it is evil?
  4. The bible also says Bats are Birds, snakes and Donkeys can talk, a man can walk on water, Unicorns exist and that women should STFU, not me, the bible says that.
  1. Your God is an asshole.

It is even better when they tell you "It's not what I say, it's what the Bible says." and they have just quoted Shakespeare, Milton, Anton LeVey or Mr Spock

"For context, I'd like to state that the rule of two for the Sith has been referenced in both Canon and Non-Canon Star Wars books, cartoons, and films. That doesn't make it real or actionable..."

I don’t. Citing the Bible as a source is a clear indicator of lack of reasoning skills.

I tell them that their bible is a work of FICTION, which has plagiarized and cannibalized every single ancient text before it.
I tell them that their "holy" book has been repeatedly rewritten and translated so
many times, it bears NO resemblance to whatever the first book may have looked like.
I tell them that every time the bible was translated or rewritten, it was done to suit the agendas of whomever was financing the the rewrites or translations.
I tell them that the King James version changed every single reference to "woman as prophet" to "woman as servant".
I tell them that their bible is in no way, shape, or form, an actual reference book.
I tell them that we all have a "choice" whether to believe what we're told, or to do
our own research.
I tell them that their "god" has never existed in reality and that what they believe are delusions and they need to get it together and grow the fuck up, and quit believing in imaginary beings.

I could go on, cuz I definitely have more, but you get the gist.

I avoid religious people, or debating with them. If they start to lecture me I act bored and mumble "Um-hum..that's nice," while glancing at my watch.
Then I hurry away.

It's actually ironic, and yet funny at just how many Christians have in fact not read the whole bible.
I've seen many debates, and shows like, the Atheist Experience where the Atheist knew more about the bible than the Believer.

Love AE...great show and Matt is a hell of a host.

I simply look at them with a blank stare and ignore them as if they have said nothing.

I've never seen Phil look so nerdy! I enjoyed that video. I hadn't seen it before now. It's very clever!

Those are the people who are truly, permanently, hopelessly lost. If someone can't decide what's for dinner without praying for guidance from Jebus they haven't got a functioning braincell left. I don't even bother trying to talk to them.

On thinking it over... I think I will in future pont out that they are just shifting teh blame for their choice to be an asshole. "Diffusion of responsibility doesn't really work when the person has obviously made a choice.

A lot of times that is the end of the discussion for me

Depends . If that's one of my patients , I smile , I say , " ah I see ". And conversation ends there . No reason to upset or argue w the sick . For anybody else , and above the age of 22, I have a choice . Spend energy and time to teach , or walk away . 20 yrs ago , oh I will teach and preach and argue and all that . As getting closer to 50, I realize , rarely u can fix stupid . And stupid gets upset easily and might bite u too . So I smile most of times , and " walk away ".

I have friends across quite a few religions...
Always the same story - holy book says so...
Otherwise quite or very intelligent people come across dumb like a paper clip...

When they say something like that, they are in effect, admitting their conscience disagrees with the Bible. They are doing something their conscience tells them is unethical but they are allowing the Bible to override their conscience. So, then the question is if they were not indoctrinated in the Bible as a child and were reading any so-called "scripture" for the first time, would they do something evil or "sinful" just because some old book says so?

The Bible is just a book, useful only for whatever meaning you can glean from it. I prefer the holy scriptures of India because, unlike the Bible, they actually address the deep questions of existence.

I think I just had a flashback.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:162199
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.