Agnostic.com

62 12

Have you ever been the athletic type or super good at sports?

I’ve never been good at sports. I never even played them in High School, but I do go to the gym and workout daily during the week, though because I do see it as necessary to stay healthy.

EmeraldJewel 7 Aug 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

62 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nope. High school PE was closer to the movie Carrie for me.

Carin Level 8 Aug 23, 2018

No. With vision as poor as mine is, sports were never really in the cards. I tried a few different sports up through 8th grade and then finally figured out it wasn't for me.

I have been athletic my entire life.

In my 30s, I swam 1/2 mile in under eight minutes. That's without flip turns. Competitive speed.

In 2017, I set a personal record by hiking 327 miles with over 62,200 feet of elevation gain. I love hiking, running, snowshoeing, weightlifting and stretching.

Over the years I have enjoyed:

1 hiking and snowshoeing
2. backpacking
3. downhill and cross-country skiing
4. swimming laps
5. running
6. weight lifting
7. Yoga
8. Tai Chi
9. Rowing and kayaking

What kind of number is 62,2000?

hiking 327 miles in altitude is pretty f'n badass! i'm betting you meant that you were over 62yrs old and with 2,000 feet of altitude gain 🙂... still f'n badass!!

@Piratefish

Thanks! I fixed it. Dancing fingers last night: 62,2000000000000000....

@Piratefish, @SeeCanU

I will be 65 on Labor Day.

"Take the day off." I joke. "My birthday is a national holiday."

Badass? With high energy and enthusiasm, I feel 12 years old. (Cue the "Tigger Song." )

@LiterateHiker awesome! well you keep it up!

I’ve been athletic my whole life. Basketball, track&field in high school. Now I do strength training, body pump and swim daily.

Played basketball in high school. Did Kempo karate. In h service wrestled a lot just for fun. Now I am an Olympic class computer mouse controller.

Being athletic and playing sports are both overrated and over-valued in our society. Intelligence and education are more important and practical after high school in the modern era.

I was a four sport letterman in high school and later worked a stint as a sportswriter. Over time I came to the same conclusion. It’s sorta like losing your religion. Your social groups and identity can be easily tied to playing ball but in the end my body is worn and I have nothing but plastic trophies that collect dust. My love for watching sports has followed the same decline into almost nothing. What has been difficult is finding something now that I’m as passionate or half way good at as sports.

@Unimatrix907

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing some sports as well as watching them from time to time. I even lettered in two sports in high school myself. However, there is a distinction between being athletic and playing sports, and being fit and healthy. The latter are far more important, as they benefit all, and are necessary for the former. After all, one needs a sound body to truly have a sound mind.

Nope! Im way to uncoordinated for sports ?

Me too! One of my special talents is falling UP the stairs!

I played lots of sports

Now that doesn't make me athletic lol but I did used to do lots of sports. Ballet, volleyball, basketball, bowling, softball, archery

I was never better than average in school sports, but I enjoyed softball, basketball, volleyball, skiing, and cross country running. As adult, I’m an advanced intermediate skier and silver-level ballroom dancer (skill level; I don’t compete). I also enjoy hiking. So I guess that counts as being athletic.

UUNJ Level 8 Aug 24, 2018

Yes.

Team sports and I never got along. The words "play ball" strike fear into my heart. I play golf on occasion; I like to swim; and I walk about 5 miles a day; but that hardly qualifies as athletic.

i always shouldacouldawoulda'd... asthma.. but always been pretty fit... until i took paxil. up over 240lbs. now back down to 150'ish. i still can swim pretty well!

I was this kind of person, but the time and a profession made me stop it. Now I only try to do some sports on my free time.

I have done it all, my best story perhaps, is my early college days. I used to run every day up and down the stadium stairs all around the building. My legs got so big and strong that all that work paid off like a charm when I started playing indoors soccer. It's a fast sport where strength combined with a quick mind makes it really fun. I was famous in that league in college, I was the unstoppable monster with the big legs..... at my age now, its all in the books. My legs are not what they used to be but definitely you can tell something good was going on once. I still try to jog as much as I can but I wouldn't even try indoors soccer today.

Not organized sports but I got obsessed with rock climbing in my 20's and 30's. Never indoors and never competitively, so no real benchmarks. It sure was fun though. Which is what it's all about anyhow.

Yes, I've played ⚽️ all my life and I still play weekly, people may find it wierd but it's like a stress reliever for me, plus it keeps me in shape.

Soccer is pretty damn fun lol.

In my youth I hated most sports and dreaded PE classes at school. I was in good shape. I'd work out a little, swim, ride a bike, or go for a walk. Soccer and basketball were sports I participated in while in high school.
2 years ago I discovered running. It's changed my life completely. I am in better shape now than when I was younger.

I played soccer when I was younger. Not very good. Same goes for baseball. I also wrestled. I went to huskerland (big final deal in this state). I got second! First round I lost because of points, not because I got pinned. No one was in my weight class so it was a round Robin. You tell me...

I was good enough to be a three-sport starter in high school: Football, basketball, and track. I was/am big 6'3", pretty fast and strong with good coordination. I have always liked to be active, sports was just a manifestation of that combined with competitiveness. Even now at 63, I am active, much more so than most people let alone my age. I go to a CrossFit-like box three to four times a week. I weigh near what I did in high school and have no health issues of any kind and take no medicine for anything. Activity plus good diet matters, as in my family it sure isn't good genes.

I've never been the best at any sport, but I've always been average or slightly above average in whatever sport I tried

If drinking was a sport, I'd make the all pro team.🙂

Hi! I am an Olimpic Champion of Curiosity, so I would love to know why are you asking that?

I won a powerlifting championship in High School. Also pole vaulted, but was just average at it.

Oh my goodness, I was awful at sports. Clumsy and awkward and I hated gym class. I was bullied and made fun of because I was so bad, and had a few sadistic gym teachers, too, who were very good at humiliation. I started taking dance lessons at a weekend drama workshop and found I enjoyed it and was actually good at it. But that wasn't considered a "sport" in the Phys Ed department at school. I was put off from sports so much that I even stopped dancing and it took me a long time to learn how to appreciate my body and the benefits of exercise.

I used to be super great at sports...
In High School I ran track but I mostly showed horses in Hunters, Jumpers, Dressage, and Combined Training and spent months on the road each year campaigning my horses.
I also played some softball and volleyball and was briefly on a synchronized swim team.
After going Vegan, I stuck with running and also took up weight training, yoga, and karate. From there I took up mountain climbing and hiking ...and did the Appalachian Trail about 25 years ago top to bottom.
I also SCUBA and snorkel.
I still hike and work out at the gym regularly. I did serious weightlifting about 5 years ago whilst recovering from a mountain climbing accident to regain strength and mobility.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:162389
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.