Agnostic.com

12 4

Is there such a thing as "cultural identity"?

I just finished reading the book "Il n'y a pas d'identité culturelle" ("Cultural identity does not exist" ) by French philosopher François Jullien.

To Jullien (who by the way is a well-known sinologist - an expert of Chinese culture) culture is a set of more or less closely related elements that serve as a kind of "resources" to those living inside that culture, but also to those outside, who sometimes adopt some elements of that culture (sometimes by force, sometimes gently and peacefully - but that is not the question).

In my opinion, the idea of "cultural identity" has two possible interpretations.
(A-) the culture itself is identical to itself. There is such a thing as "French culture" and it has a specific identity (like species in nature have).
Julllien shows that this identity cannot exist since each "culture" consists of many elements, some of them even contradictory (French culture comprises the rationalism of Descartes or Auguste Comte alongside the anti-rationalism of the Surrealistes à la Breton or the Post-Structuralists). Moreover: unlike species in nature which are reproductively closed, there is a lot of "cross-fertilization" going on - has has always been - between different cultures.

(B-) The focal entity of "cultural identity" is not the culture itself but the people who identify themselves with a certain culture.
A group of humans who call themselves "the French" identify themselves with a certain fixed set of cultural elements, and that is an essential part of their identity. But this interpretation encounters the same problem as (A-): Do they identify with all elements, or do they some cherry-picking and identify with Descartes and Racine and Mallarmé, but secrectly detest 'les Surréalistes' and Rimbaud and Gilles Deleuze? And what happens if a proud Frenchman reads the German philosopher Martin Heidegger and suddenly realizes that this is the greatest thinker of all times? Does he have to de-identify himself with French culture? Does he lose his cultural identity?

However you try to interpret the concept of "cultural identity", you will run into the same contradictions. The only solution is to discard the whole notion of cultural identity and to consider culture not as something homogeneous but as a malleable and heterogeneous set of elements we can adopt or discard, whether they belong to "our" culture or the culture of someone else.

Matias 8 Aug 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Culture is a very fluid concept and evolves uncannily like an organism. Those that work flourish while others go extinct. Cultural diversity allows the best parts of each to rise to the surface, the greatest result of the "American Experiment".

The darker side of this is the tribalism that emerges, trying to suppress ideas and groups who make some uncomfortable. A very real issue for us today.

...thank u for bringing this very deep subject
up : I don't understand the reluctantz of citizens
to piriodicly review the culture- is it just here in(America) ?. Since it affects the global communication of people it should be a (known)
variable in interpersonal communication.
I grew up in the 60's- the Beatles;sex;race;jeans;
and war. : These aspects of trends traveled
between cultures ; some of the best current
aspects seem to be subplanted in transition.
Hopefull the best of humanity shines through.

Being a jewish atheist, i have to attribute my affinity for the religion of my people to something; indeed, how can i say "my people" otherwise? although there are aspects of the religion itself i like (it's humanistic, especially compared to, say, christianity) my affinity is mostly for the culture. so if there is no culture, what am i attracted to? it can't JUST be the food (don't take away my lox, though!) oh, and i manage at the same time to be a citizen of the world. having and identifying with a culture doesn't have to be exclusionary; indeed, one can identify with more than one culture at once! circles can connect without being concentric or identical.

g

Race, cultural identity, and ethnicity begin to dissolve the more we examine them. They appear solid concepts but are not. They are nebulous, and easy ways simplify complex factors. If you are a traveler (not a tourist) these categories dissolve.

Livia Level 6 Aug 30, 2018

@Matias Brexit and insularity in the USA are both terrible.
I made sure to leave the UK before Brexit.

@Matias Coming to America is very odd, because ostensibly it seems our culture and language shares so much, but it’s still foreign to me, and regularly causes me to sit back and be, well, bamboozled. In England there is no escaping what the Tories do because we are a small, densely populated island, and everything is impacted quickly. Brexit and the deportations of Windrush generation have immediately affected my family who are everything from Jamaican to Iranian and working class boring old British. I don’t think I can be friends with anyone who supports Brexit. It’s a disaster.

Here, in the USA my life feels more stable - it’s probably an illusion as a foreigner.

I think the USA is so huge people can get stuck in bubbles where “local” becomes their entire world. Many people have no idea of what’s going on in the next town, let alone in the world. You can literally run away from the government and live on an ashram in New Mexico and you wouldn’t have a clue what what’s happening in Chicago or New York. People mix less too, so it’s not a melting pot, more a patchwork of cultures, some of which dislike each other quite a lot.

Here, I am located by my company in some kind of upper-middle class bubble just outside Chicago. It’s like a liberal Stepford. In my town people are “right on”, and left leaning, but their lawns are perfectly groomed, they are mostly white and called Eric or Carrie. They all hate Trump but their day-to-day is unaffected by the madness because they are almost all wealthy and white. The racial disparity is so stark.

At the end of the day, I think I am also not that affected as I know I will probably leave in the next few years. I am probably going to either Colombia or China. Not sure which.

Sounds like it depends on a having very precise & limited definition of culture & not traveling at all. Of course there are different cultures.

Carin Level 8 Aug 30, 2018

I have lived on the east and west US coasts—now just slightly longer in the east. My cultural identity is definitely north western. I feel fully myself there, I love the geography, the air, the people.

UUNJ Level 8 Aug 27, 2018

I have only ever lived in the u.s. so my experience is limited geographically but to me culture extends far beyond whose philosophy you prefer to foods, music, customs, sayings, and even dress to a lesser extent.

I came to states in 1995 , speaking very few English ( songs ) and not having a clue . Landed to San Antonio Texas , I can assure u , nothing to do w Europe and Greece or Italy particularly . I will never forget as long as a live , the endless car lots on the way from airport to apartment . Where is the " city ", I asked . No humans walking , no cats no dogs , where is the city . For many weeks I was sad for not able to see a sea . For few more weeks also sad bcz at restaurants , waitress gave me the check b4 I asked for . Y ? U need me to leave ? The women around me all looked nice and clean and such , but nobody wore heels than me .. at a neibhood gathering , they offered me wine in a plastic cup .. I went home crying , thinking they don't want me here .. in less than 4 months a realized , I have two choices . Learn the American ways / culture , or go back home . I taught self English watching Sesame Street . And Riki lake . And anything else I could . I was accepted at college at 1997. Looking back , inside me , always my culture alive . But truth is , where u come from , some importance . Where u heading and how u get there , very important . I kept the good from my culture . And made mine the good from America . Some x I teach folks how people of my culture by birth do things , some x not a word . It doesn't matter and who cares . Lately I realized , home and it's culture is what u love , visit or re visit often , and where u r loved . My dogs are very happy to see me . My few friends too . No matter what accent , beliefs , foods , silly dances or weird things to some .

I think cultures watch each other and appropriate from each other. A lot of this has do the expansion of knowledge, and our social medias.
A you tube video has over a billion views, it boggles my mind.
There are differences, niches , especially when considering Arabic or Easter cultures, where social structures drive life styles in their various countries.

cava Level 7 Aug 24, 2018

Agree completely

There’s an interesting Wikipedia article that ties in with this subject.

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

What I get from all this is that yes, there is such a thing as cultural identity, but it is fluid, subjective, and exists only in a relative sense.

For example, The French speakers in Quebec consider themselves to be ethnic French, and many of them strive to maintain their separate identity. Yet it seems that most people in France consider France to be a nation, not an ethnicity. After all, there are various languages that are spoken in France. So you had people of various ethnicities coming to the New World, and they CREATED a new ethnicity—that of Frenchness.

IMO it is not rational to glorify ones ethnic identity because ethnicity is an artificial construct. Struggling to preserve the cultural traits of your ancestors is a losing battle. When people are seen as “others”, and are attacked and persecuted, they tend to circle the wagons, and out of necessity they forge a common identity. Left alone, we become just people.

One's"cultural identity is entirely one's own identification with his or her own conception of a specific culture.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:162522
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.