Agnostic.com

303 242

There is no agnostic vs. atheist! The peeve I have...

Dear friends,

This is my first real rant... breaking out that soap box.

Agnostic has broadened my world and introduced so many lovely people into my life that I deeply enjoy the company of. Our conversations are sometimes fun and lighthearted, other times intense and intellectual. I've learned many things from this community and the people in it.

That said, there is this tired old debate. One where agnostics and atheists can't seem to agree on definitions for the words. I'm not going to sit here and post telling all of you that people misunderstand and they need to be taught! That is so demeaning and presumptuous when people do that. It's preaching and coaching rather than talking to someone like a peer. I respect all of you as peers and fellow critical thinkers, so...

I can tell you my own interpretation based on the digging that I've done. I won't ask you to agree with it. All I ask is you do what you already do, think critically. Be open minded. And, most of you are pretty cool and respectful peeps, so I don't think I need to say it-- but there is always one person that needs the reminder. So, here it is! Please play nice. ; )

Disclaimer: if you want to call yourself an agnostic, atheist, agnostic atheist-- whatever, it's your choice based on what fits you most comfortably. The term you choose for yourself is what matters more than my interpretation of the words.

Ah, so for almost 20 years, I've said I was an atheist. After joining agnostic, someone ranted about atheism and agnosticism being mutually exclusive. That someone made me re-evaluate my own thinking. I started digging into the words a little more... and then I started questioning my own bias.

Was I calling myself atheist, because I rejected the dogma of religion (which on an emotional level really pisses me off)? When I thought about it, I could only reject certain gods. Because there was not only no proof of these gods, the evidence was stacked against the holy books these gods are defined in.

1. I absolutely do not believe the Abrahamic god as portrayed in the bible or similar holy texts is real. These holy texts disprove themselves with contradictions and inaccuracies.

2. I do not reject the idea of the possibility of a creator of some sort. I do not believe it. But, I do not disbelieve it.

3. My beliefs and disbeliefs are based on facts and evidence. I will shift beliefs regardless of my feelings, if the facts and evidence align.

*When I looked into the terms atheist and agnostic here is the defining difference😘

Definition of atheism
1 a : a lack of belief or a strong disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods
b : a philosophical or religious position characterized by disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods

Definition of agnostic
1 : a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (such as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god

*The difference between the two, per Merriam-Webster (and I agree with this interpretation, which is why I regularly quote it)😘

Many people are interested in distinguishing between the words agnostic and atheist. The difference is quite simple: atheist refers to someone who believes that there is no god (or gods), and agnostic refers to someone who doesn’t know whether there is a god, or even if such a thing is knowable. This distinction can be troublesome to remember, but examining the origins of the two words can help.

Agnostic first appeared in 1869, (possibly coined by the English biologist Thomas Henry Huxley), and was formed from the Greek agn?stos (meaning "unknown, unknowable" ). Atheist came to English from the French athéisme. Although both words share a prefix (which is probably the source of much of the confusion) the main body of each word is quite different. Agnostic shares part of its history with words such as prognosticate and prognosis, words which have something to do with knowledge or knowing something. Atheist shares roots with words such as theology and theism, which generally have something to do with God.

Depending on your interpretation, I could be defined as an atheist or an agnostic. Atheist if we're talking ONLY about the Abrahamic god. But, why was I defining myself as if Christianity was the anchor of the definition?

In broad strokes, I realized agnostic fits better for me. I don't know if a god or creator exists. And, if I have to label myself, I prefer to think in general.

Some people call themselves agnostic atheists. Per wiki, one of the earliest definitions of agnostic atheism is that of Robert Flint, in his Croall Lecture of 1887–1888 (published in 1903 under the title Agnosticism).

I understand the intent behind the conjoined term, but in my mind these two concepts contradict. How can you both not believe (disbelieve) and claim unknowability? Why have both terms at all, aren't you just agnostic if you require evidence?

But, I suppose it comes from the desire to say, I disbelieve until someone proves otherwise. Which, I do get. But, agnostics don't believe anything without evidence either. So, I don't feel the need to put the terms together. Though, I don't find I need to argue with people who do want to put them together. It does make it's point, which is the whole purpose of labels to begin with. So, OK.

ah, semantics

To sum this up, in my opinion there is no perfect term, label, or word for me. I use labels as a general means to find things that interest me under these headings and to connect with people who generally share my viewpoint-- or at least share the desire to reject dogma and examine things critically.

This rant is only because I've seen several people try to "educate" others on the definitions. To tell everyone they are wrong and have a misconception. This has long been debated and really, to what end? There isn't a good conclusive resource to say side A is right and side B is wrong, so why keep bringing it up? To educate people without a strong source to reference is against the very concept of freethinking. It's better to say "my opinion is..." or "my interpretation is..." and even myself, I cannot claim that I am right and others are wrong. There is no really good corroboration for either side here. Our sources don't even really agree.

Truth be told, I hate labels anyway. I don't feel the need to have a specific tattoo of either agnostic or atheist. Those of you who know me get the gist of what I do and don't believe. I hate dogmatic thinking-- that's the end game.

Fuck the labels. If you don't like dogma, you are my people, my tribe, and I'm good with whatever definition you want to use.

Seriously, call yourself whatever you want, friends.

If you read to the end, thank you for hearing me out. This is the longest blurb I've written. I will now step off my soap box.

With ❤

Silvereyes

silvereyes 8 Jan 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

303 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Honestly I think we're just splitting hairs here the point is that we try to live our lives empirically and reasonably and logically and we do not subscribe to religious psychosis

Excellent post.

I absolutely do not believe the Abrahamic god as portrayed in the bible or similar holy texts is real. These holy texts disprove themselves with contradictions and inaccuracies.

I will let it go with your above quoted and reposted text and just go on from there. This is what happens when you have all these books bound together that were never meant to be bound together. It means that your bible is all made up. Gods have written none of it and no gods are trying to get in touch with you. Call me by whatever name you want. This is why I do not believe in god.

That's it!

The term agnostic was coined as a sarcastic joke after being repeatedly asked to state his position on belief in a god. The term he made up the term using the name of a sect of Christianity called the Nostics who claimed to know the exact will of God. By adding the A he turned it into the opposite meaning not knowing the will of God. That's not the common meaning anymore. The term Atheist was so associated with negative labels the religious community has successfully attached that many felt a need to create a new term with less negative associations. Agnostic has become that term. I'm still an atheist.

Nice I like it

I have always thought the same as you. Oddly enough I think the term atheist just gives theists more power. It actually gives theists the idea that they are on the same playing field, because of course no honest person can claim to know if we were created by something greater or not.

It could just be my chances when talking to atheists, but it seems they more often say things that disprove the biblical god and act like knowing all the physics behind our world is somehow proof that there is no god. Proving the Abrahamic god is false and knowing everything about physics still doesn’t prove that the system wasn’t set up by something else. Even if it becomes pointless to know, which I believe it is, it still won’t prove or disprove that we aren’t in a simulation.

Also being agnostic does NOT at all mean you think god may exist. It just means you don’t know, and often agnostics don’t even care, which usually isn’t an atheists position. In fact it sets up religious folk up with the most annoying comebacks of all “you can’t prove that god doesn’t exist, just like I can’t prove he does” and “if you are so sure that he doesn’t exist, you are believing with religious faith, then I guess that is your religion”
Whereas an agnostic person knows its ok not to know things and is content with the facts that some things are unknowable...which is very much a more honest and scientific stance if you think about it. Scientists don’t claim to know things they don’t and are ok with that, it wouldn’t be scientific any other way.

At best any athest who understands how the scientific model works can only claim there is no god as a hypothesis not a theory. It isn’t a theory until it withstands scrutiny and heavy testing.

I am an atheist and believe in the scientific method. The hypothesis is not "there is no god." The hypothesis is that there is a god. Start piling up the evidence.

You're right...maybe spend a bit too much time over nothing, though.

I specifically describe myself as Atheist because I firmly understand that everything that exist today is factual, explainable and does not require a god hence no god exists. I tend to interpret that Agnostics are reserving judgment specifically when pushed at trying to answer the famous theist question: What existed before the Big Bang or what started it? Agnostic are closer to Deism than Atheist on that level.

The main difference I observed between both is Atheist tend to be scientific and Agnostics, spiritual.

a clear way to demonstrate the difference is when facing the following:
Based on facts every human is mortal.
Atheist: One does not need to observe every death of every human to have ever lived to understand they them selves and everyone around them will die.
Agnostic: It is very clear that humans die but maybe in the way way past maybe a human vampire population existed and are still amongst us today but I'm not sure but still a possibility.

Considering God doesn't exist, the argument is irrelevant ?? oh the joys of being an atheist.

I don't believe in unicorns, fairies, demons, leprechauns, angels or gods because my critical faculties tell me there is no evidence of them. They are simply the figment of our fertile imagination. I don't feel the need, nor am i required by others, to disprove unicorns or call myself a non-unicornist. So why God? This i believe is where evidence in itself is not the most important criteria in religious belief. It is the physcology of religion that creates the dilemma. The feeling of superiority our intelligence affords us that leads to expectations that we would not allow for any other species i.e. that we should continue to live on in some form. That this paltry life should not be all we are due. Our inability to deal with loss of loved ones and the desire to meet them again on some plane. Most of us can readily accept that there is no doggy, or cat or horsey etc heaven and that we will never see our favorite pet again but to never again meet our mother, sister, brother ... it's not religion per se but some believe in ghosts to alleviate this sense of loss. Man created god in his own image to fufil a function and to fully understand the religious we must recognise this in order to understand that evidence in itself is not the basis of belief. Organised religion is an exercise in deliberate self-delusion. The most interesting aspect of this, for mr at least, is not 'does god exist?' but 'why does god exist?'

This is probably one of the best and certainly the most well researched responses to this arguement I have heard to date and I have heard more than a few. I think for some of us, myself included in different parts of my life, we feel the need to define ourselves by disagreement. While I understand it can be easier to laud oneself by cogently or not so intelligently being disagreeable it takes time to see the value in more constructive input in any kind of conversation, particularly so among real and potential allies. Thing is, I can vehemently disagree with you and still see the value or mindset your points come from, and you will value my input more as a result of seeing or at least examining some of your side. Even if we end still fully disagreeing I feel we will understand each other better and maybe avoid some of the hyper-emotionality these talks tend to have and maybe some of the worst of each other's preconceptions.

We've been down this road before, and often, so I'm not going to say much. But do notice how often people say God, singular, especially the agnostic position that there is no way to know if there's a god or not. Always or very often the singular. Agnostics are indeed welcome to hold the agnostic position. I merely humbly ask that they say that they are equally agnostic about all gods, ancient and modern, and always use the plural, and really mean that they are as agnostic about the God Apollo, for example, as they are about the Christian God. Like Bertrand Russell, I don't think they are, in practise. I certainly could never say that and truly mean it. Now, as an atheist, I'm happy to shout from the rooftops that I am equally atheist about all gods, every one of them. Indeed, I say so regularly.

I have a problem with the word Agnostic, which is that technically, neither believers nor non-believers can absolutely know, or prove anything. Is not EVERYONE technically Agnostic. I therefore feel the word is largely USELESS except in a few circumstances which I'll get to. What really matters is belief. What does it really matter if you entertain the notion of some sort of god which is absent of any doctrine (religion) or is not a personal god who intervenes in our affairs. It seems to me non-sensical to label yourself based upon anything other than your beliefs, unless you simply wish to avoid the question. Perhaps you don't want the baggage which comes with a label, or don't wish to be pigeon-holed. These are understandable and valid reasons any of us may wish to choose at times a non-commital word such as Agnostic. But let's be honest with ourselves about what is being done. I feel the term Agnostic most makes sense for those truly torn between belief and non-belief. I would presume that for many, though not necessarily all, that would be a transitional and temporary state. There are very few things which can be proven absolutely. The bottom line comes down to what, based on the preponderance of evidence, you find believable or credible. Thoughts?

This has nothing to do with your post, but I just wanted to say I hadn't seen you in a hot minute, Silver! Welcome back! I have MISSED your posts!

Sadoi Level 7 Aug 1, 2018

.thanx--does need to be heard;
wish like u that we can move forward;
gives me ammunition for when
someone sneezes--the people are counted who don't say"G*Bless,
sometimes we are the minority

BBJong Level 7 July 29, 2018

I appreciated reading what I did of your post. It is too long to hold my interest to read the entire post, but from what I gathered, you emphasized the importance of learning to think critically, and I totally agree with that. When I'm thinking critically, I question all of the identities that I attach myself to and remain open to reforming any belief I hold to be true.

Agnostics say there is no way to know if there is a god or not. Actually the anthropological evidence shows how the god concept was created through intentional agency and so forth. That said,I am not too concerned about which title you take. The truth is our beliefs our based on evidence, and we are willing to change our beliefs if new evidence shows that we were wrong. This is a huge contrast to faith which holds onto a belief in spite of the evidence.

In logic and probability theory, two events (or propositions) are mutually exclusive or disjoint if they cannot both occur (be true). A clear example is the set of outcomes of a single coin toss, which can result in either heads or tails, but not both.
Mutual exclusivity - Wikipedia

For those who say the two are not mutually exclusive, you cannot say with certainty that there is no god and leave the door open to the possibility that one could exist at the same time, but at present there is no evidence.

I find the agnostic view the most open minded.

I'm also 6 shots into Jaegermeister, so if I tick you off--I neither believe nor disbelieve that I did.

not ticked off but youre mistaken nonetheless. Agnostic and atheist are not mutually exclusive because the agnostic doesnt have to be optimistic enough to claim belief. The terms arent two sides of a coin or dichotomy because they answer two different questions. Do I know everything? no, Im an agnostic. Every person on earth is agnostic if theyre being honest. But do I have any good reason to believe in any form of theism? also no, I am also an atheist.

Lack of knowledge and lack of belief can exist side by side perfectly well without contradicting one another. One seems to lead to the other in fact, but that doesnt mean an atheist is claiming to be scientifically certain and able to rule out admitting their agnosticism. Nor is an agnostic likely so optimistic about any certain god so as to rule out atheism. Belief and Knowledge are two different topics that influence each other heavily, but they are not the same thing.

@Wurlitzer I think a better analogy would be that atheism is one side of the coin. Religion/god is the other. And agnostic is the edge of the coin.

[slate.com]

Here's the article I spoke of. Lol, "At least we know what we don't know.
By Ron Rosenbaum"

After leaving Christianity, I was called an athiest for not believing. My response was, "I never said I don't believe in a god, I just no longer believe in YOUR god," I don't know if there is or is not a god. And I'm ok with not knowing.

Best rant ever silvereyes. I've read up on this and found an article by a guy defining a true agnostic. His beef with militant athiest was simple--I don't know if there is or is not a god, and I'm fine with admitting I DON'T KNOW. To him, the beauty of being agnostic is to be able to admit "I don't know the answer." Too many people insist on being right, both in the theist and atheist world. I agreed with his essay 100%. If you don't have evidence, don't pretend to know the answer. I don't know, so I am open to the possibility of a higher power. That power has not revealed itself to me as of this post, so I can't say for certain if there is one.

I don't know that there isnt a funky ball of tits from outerspace either. Id like to think there is, but I don't know. Thats still no excuse to profess belief in one. It would be foolish to deny the possibility, afterall, where else could Bootsy Collins have milked all that sweet funk from? (/sarcasm) But im still gonna have to say I both don't know precisely, and don't believe. Agnostic and atheist are not combatting opinions! And lack of knowledge doesnt suddenly turn this into a 50/50 debate on what to believe! ?

@Wurlitzer I don't believe they should be combatting opinions. My point, like the article I reference, is that there is a distinct difference between the militant athiest (who believe there is no god and behave just like fundamental Christians in their beliefs, very annoying and they do remind me of childish christians) and the agnostic (simply admits to not knowing due to lack of evidence). I never implied that lack of knowledge turns this into a 50/50 debate on what to believe. I simply implied that neither the fundamentalist Christian/Athiest can produce solid evidence for their arguments. I don't know and I don't care. I'm ok with not knowing.

@Wurlitzer and the space tits thing was awesome! That's something I want to believe in!

Seems to me theres confusion here about the word "believe." Which is understandable. Google the definition of that word and you get two rather contradictory definitions. We can't define words like agnostic and atheist without first knowing what we mean by the word believe and the problem from where Im sitting is that people use that word differently. I tend to view belief as more of a supposition rather than knowledge, and therefore I don't see atheism as distinct from agnosticism.

Mweuot Level 2 July 21, 2018

Great post! NOT a rant--too thought provoking. Don't put your soap box where you can't find it again.

Carin Level 8 July 17, 2018

I always thought that an atheist didn't believe in god, and an agnostic doubted the existence of god but was still open to the possibility of god existing. Anyone else thought this?

yeah thats the simplistic definitions I learned from religious folks who misunderstood the terms though. Everyone thinks an atheist is positive there isnt and an agnostic is on the fence and you can't be both, but please see my comment directly below, as that is not the case.

Agnostic is without knowledge, atheist is without belief. Every honest person on earth is an agnostic, none of us can know. But unless theres a particular god you believe in more than the others, youre also an atheist. Just means without belief in theism. I neither know for sure, nor have any good reason to believe, so I am an agnostic atheist.

@Wurlitzer yes, that clears it up quite nicely. Without knowledge, without belief. I'll remember that distinction. But in the case of god, I do know with certainty that he/she does not exist, not scientifically, but observationally, get it??

@sellinger absolutely I have no problem with claiming there’s no god because there obviously isnt, in any way that we've conceptualized god so far at least. Im only agnostic insofar as I can't claim to have absolute knowledge, theres plenty of things that once seemed mystical that we figured out how to do. Technology was once called magic and mental illness was once called demon possession. Im holding space to accomodate anything else we havent figured out yet, but I usually default to calling myself atheist as its the stronger position to take against theists, and like you said we can be pretty damn sure their idea of god is bunk.

This never stops coming up. The two terms are NOT mutually exclusive I assure you. The difference is also not hard to remember. All you need to know is that they answer two different questions.

Do you KNOW? no, agnostic
Do you BELIEVE? no, atheist.

Its not hard or contradictory at all to admit we don't know but also have no reason to believe.

It's also helpful on the theist side -- tho rare, there are some theists honest enough to admit they don't know if there's a god, tho they believe (or perhaps hope) there is one, making them agnostic theists.

Of course your post is brilliant I very much agree that those definition should be clearly defined although how people Define themselves is their own business

my question is if we define god as nature in the style of Spinoza how do we Define ourselves the critical point is Nature Cares About Us or if we were gone nature could go on just fine without us

m16566 Level 7 July 15, 2018

The unfortunate answer to your question is that nature/the earth would fare much better without us. We are the worst form of parasite (because we offer no benefit whatsoever to our host) ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16850
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.