Agnostic.com

303 242

There is no agnostic vs. atheist! The peeve I have...

Dear friends,

This is my first real rant... breaking out that soap box.

Agnostic has broadened my world and introduced so many lovely people into my life that I deeply enjoy the company of. Our conversations are sometimes fun and lighthearted, other times intense and intellectual. I've learned many things from this community and the people in it.

That said, there is this tired old debate. One where agnostics and atheists can't seem to agree on definitions for the words. I'm not going to sit here and post telling all of you that people misunderstand and they need to be taught! That is so demeaning and presumptuous when people do that. It's preaching and coaching rather than talking to someone like a peer. I respect all of you as peers and fellow critical thinkers, so...

I can tell you my own interpretation based on the digging that I've done. I won't ask you to agree with it. All I ask is you do what you already do, think critically. Be open minded. And, most of you are pretty cool and respectful peeps, so I don't think I need to say it-- but there is always one person that needs the reminder. So, here it is! Please play nice. ; )

Disclaimer: if you want to call yourself an agnostic, atheist, agnostic atheist-- whatever, it's your choice based on what fits you most comfortably. The term you choose for yourself is what matters more than my interpretation of the words.

Ah, so for almost 20 years, I've said I was an atheist. After joining agnostic, someone ranted about atheism and agnosticism being mutually exclusive. That someone made me re-evaluate my own thinking. I started digging into the words a little more... and then I started questioning my own bias.

Was I calling myself atheist, because I rejected the dogma of religion (which on an emotional level really pisses me off)? When I thought about it, I could only reject certain gods. Because there was not only no proof of these gods, the evidence was stacked against the holy books these gods are defined in.

1. I absolutely do not believe the Abrahamic god as portrayed in the bible or similar holy texts is real. These holy texts disprove themselves with contradictions and inaccuracies.

2. I do not reject the idea of the possibility of a creator of some sort. I do not believe it. But, I do not disbelieve it.

3. My beliefs and disbeliefs are based on facts and evidence. I will shift beliefs regardless of my feelings, if the facts and evidence align.

*When I looked into the terms atheist and agnostic here is the defining difference😘

Definition of atheism
1 a : a lack of belief or a strong disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods
b : a philosophical or religious position characterized by disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods

Definition of agnostic
1 : a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (such as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god

*The difference between the two, per Merriam-Webster (and I agree with this interpretation, which is why I regularly quote it)😘

Many people are interested in distinguishing between the words agnostic and atheist. The difference is quite simple: atheist refers to someone who believes that there is no god (or gods), and agnostic refers to someone who doesn’t know whether there is a god, or even if such a thing is knowable. This distinction can be troublesome to remember, but examining the origins of the two words can help.

Agnostic first appeared in 1869, (possibly coined by the English biologist Thomas Henry Huxley), and was formed from the Greek agn?stos (meaning "unknown, unknowable" ). Atheist came to English from the French athéisme. Although both words share a prefix (which is probably the source of much of the confusion) the main body of each word is quite different. Agnostic shares part of its history with words such as prognosticate and prognosis, words which have something to do with knowledge or knowing something. Atheist shares roots with words such as theology and theism, which generally have something to do with God.

Depending on your interpretation, I could be defined as an atheist or an agnostic. Atheist if we're talking ONLY about the Abrahamic god. But, why was I defining myself as if Christianity was the anchor of the definition?

In broad strokes, I realized agnostic fits better for me. I don't know if a god or creator exists. And, if I have to label myself, I prefer to think in general.

Some people call themselves agnostic atheists. Per wiki, one of the earliest definitions of agnostic atheism is that of Robert Flint, in his Croall Lecture of 1887–1888 (published in 1903 under the title Agnosticism).

I understand the intent behind the conjoined term, but in my mind these two concepts contradict. How can you both not believe (disbelieve) and claim unknowability? Why have both terms at all, aren't you just agnostic if you require evidence?

But, I suppose it comes from the desire to say, I disbelieve until someone proves otherwise. Which, I do get. But, agnostics don't believe anything without evidence either. So, I don't feel the need to put the terms together. Though, I don't find I need to argue with people who do want to put them together. It does make it's point, which is the whole purpose of labels to begin with. So, OK.

ah, semantics

To sum this up, in my opinion there is no perfect term, label, or word for me. I use labels as a general means to find things that interest me under these headings and to connect with people who generally share my viewpoint-- or at least share the desire to reject dogma and examine things critically.

This rant is only because I've seen several people try to "educate" others on the definitions. To tell everyone they are wrong and have a misconception. This has long been debated and really, to what end? There isn't a good conclusive resource to say side A is right and side B is wrong, so why keep bringing it up? To educate people without a strong source to reference is against the very concept of freethinking. It's better to say "my opinion is..." or "my interpretation is..." and even myself, I cannot claim that I am right and others are wrong. There is no really good corroboration for either side here. Our sources don't even really agree.

Truth be told, I hate labels anyway. I don't feel the need to have a specific tattoo of either agnostic or atheist. Those of you who know me get the gist of what I do and don't believe. I hate dogmatic thinking-- that's the end game.

Fuck the labels. If you don't like dogma, you are my people, my tribe, and I'm good with whatever definition you want to use.

Seriously, call yourself whatever you want, friends.

If you read to the end, thank you for hearing me out. This is the longest blurb I've written. I will now step off my soap box.

With ❤

Silvereyes

silvereyes 8 Jan 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

303 comments (251 - 275)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I agree with you on dogma, and the definitions you provided on agnostics and atheists.

How do do you feel about Pastafarianism 🙂

ags2 Level 5 Feb 5, 2018

Thank you.
I'm an atheist because I don't believe in deities.
I'm agnostic because I don't believe I know.
But call me what you want. Skeptical agnostic works as well as atheist.

An agnostic is essentially a "weak" atheist by definition. I consider myself an atheist/agnostic in that I, 1) have no belief in any god(s) and, 2) I see no evidence either way.

Silvereyes - my understanding is that a "strong" atheist asserts there is no God, implying omnipotent knowledge of such, but this link has a slightly more nuanced explanation of it. It also mentions weak atheism is also called "soft" atheism.

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

Important topic. Thanks for putting the time into that. If you believe that the abrahamic god is real, clearly you cannot be either agnostic or atheist. If you beleive that the abrahamic god is definitely a fiction, you can't be agnostic. If you are open to the idea that some as yet undiscovered divine creator being might exist, you cannot be an atheist. That is why I think I might prefer the term antitheist for myself. See the definition of antitheism and see if it fits your situation. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

@silvereyes Consider this definition for Antitheism - In secular contexts, it typically refers to direct opposition to organized religion or to the belief in any deity, while in a theistic context it sometimes refers to opposition to a specific god or gods.
A more non-confrontational version is "nontheism" - not having or involving a belief in a god or gods. Can be used as "I am a non-theist."
I think Secular Non-theist is both accurate for me, and non-confrontational.

Nice post,

I have to keep stating on here that I am a believer, just to distinguish myself from those other labels,and thats what they are,labels.Agnostic,athiest or believer are just stereotypes and do not really cover all the range of beliefs and views any individual can have....which also change as we move through life.

I am not at all religious in that and I too do not think the three Abrahamic religions have any real understanding of God,though some sects in each faith do seek a deeper,more universal, self enlightening spiritual understanding. Gnostics(Christian),Kabbalists (Jewish)and Sufis(Muslim).

Add these to the Bhuddist,Hindu,Taoist,Confucius and even Ancient Greek teachings and you have a common theme,..The Golden rule....the "do unto others" bit.But that is religion for those who can't be bothered with really making an effort about what God may be.

I find agnostics(and many atheists) think about god even more than religious people ,who just turn up at church/synagogue/mosque and do no more than lip service,or worse ,totally ignore what their religion teaches.Having been to see the Vatican I can say that hypocracy knows no better example.Why would any church of god require such flashy shows of treasures and works of art,didn't Jesus throw the money changers from the house of god,what would he do of he should enter the Vatican today?Does the Vatican need to be running a bank?Ok I am wandering off topic....

To me we are all divine it's quite simple ,yes even the atheists!. I see Agnostics are just half way to realising that,but be careful, you might end up tipping into my world view!

But seriouslly once you dive in, the water is lovely.

In any community there is always a contest to out zealot one another. It's the same among non-believers. My twin brother was what I would call an anti-religious bigot with a chip on his shoulder not only toward religion, but religious people themselves. He considered moderate athiests and agnostics to be some lower form of non-believer and called it another form of hypocrisy. After his suicide on 2014 I began to come to terms with my own prejudices. As Socrates so aptly put it, "I know that I know nothing."

I don't really see the difference myself , at any one time in my life - ,simply put, I don't have a god. It doesn't worry me that people use different words and give them different meanings - the bottom line is "in this moment I have no god for me it is the 'A" at the beginning of the tqo words that is the important this A in latin is -'without' so 'a'-theist ' is 'without' a god and 'a'gnostic is - without knowing; but at this moment without a god.So we are both in the same place without a god until someone gets gnosis = knowingness.

The difference for me has always been a belief/knowledge issue. In a technical sense everyone is agnostic, there is no way to fully know anything. Atheists In my opinion do not put forward a a disbelief or a belief that God is not real, just no positive belief that God is real. Your dictionary definition gets confusing because it describes atheists in 2 different ways. At first it's described as a lack of belief or strong disbelief, the later describes atheism as a belief that there is no God. The strong disbelief corresponds with the second definition, but what I think is more valid would be the "lack of belief" statement. I think atheists are "a theists" or without theology. Doesn't mean they believe a theology is wrong, does mean they haven't been convinced it's correct. Like in court, the options are not guilty or innocent, they are guilty or not guilty. That means either, HE DID IT, or THERE IS NOT SUFFICIENT EVIDENCE TO BELIEVE HE DID IT, and the whole time without asserting that he didn't do it.

@silvereyes absolutely, the most important thing is making sure everyone in the discussion is on the same page. We can call it atheist, agnostic, or waffels. It doesnt matter as long as we all understand the meaning we are using.

The difference for me has always been a belief/knowledge issue. In a technical sense everyone is agnostic, there is no way to fully know anything. Atheists In my opinion do not put forward a a disbelief or a belief that God is not real, just no positive belief that God is real. Your dictionary definition gets confusing because it describes atheists in 2 different ways. At first it's described as a lack of belief or strong disbelief, the later describes atheism as a belief that there is no God. The strong disbelief corresponds with the second definition, but what I think is more valid would be the "lack of belief" statement. I think atheists are "a theists" or without theology. Doesn't mean they believe a theology is wrong, does mean they haven't been convinced it's correct. Like in court, the options are not guilty or innocent, they are guilty or not guilty. That means either, HE DID IT, or THERE IS NOT SUFFICIENT EVIDENCE TO BELIEVE HE DID IT, and the whole time without asserting that he didn't do it.

I prefer to call myself a Freethinker. Good post!

Silvereyes
I agree with what you say. But you are missing a nuance. Per what you said and what I say below, I am an agnostic Agnostic (or an extreme Agnostic as I say below).

Note: the scales I mention below are informed by Richard Dawkins books.

2 scales. 1) What is knowable - gnostic to agnostic. 2) What do you believe - theist to atheist.

I am an extreme agnostic. Evidence is the only form of knowledge that exists. As such I don't consider the 2nd scale valid*. We have no evidence to support the existence or nonexistence of god(s), supernatural, et cetera. Therefore, the 2nd scale is invalid.

• For science to consider a question, it must be quantifiable or verifiable. God is neither.

Point is, if you are theist or atheist, I consider you insane for the exact same reason. You believe something without evidence.

Does atheism assert a belief though? It may b getting into the strong/weak atheist position, but In my experience the difference between an atheist and a non theist is disbelief. Wile an atheist would say there is no reason to believe that's true, a non theist would say that's not true. And these definitions definitely seem to fit the prefixes more appropriately.

@silvereyes Religious texts are certainly unreasonable. That you can't outright invalidate them seems to be the point. However you can't quantify or verify god/supernatural. If you can't quantify or verify, you can't reasonably expect to ask a question and get a scientific answer.

I ignore the subject(s) of god/religion outside a single premise. Per the Thomas Theorem, 'what is perceived as real is real in its consequences'. In other words god/religion are relevant only because some people take them into account when making important decisions. So it becomes necessary to understand how some people operate without evidence to guide their actions.

@PaulRecomStop Yes theism and atheism explicitly rely on belief in the exact same way. One accepts the truth claim god exists without evidence. The other accepts the truth claim god doesn't exist without evidence.

As stated above I consider both potentially mentally ill because they make and accept a truth claim without evidence. That said I consider the latter the lesser evil as they are less likely to be overtly hostile to someone like me pointing out the obvious fallacy in their argument.

@mymysticcrow I've never met an atheist with the position that God doesn't exist without evidence. I think the appropriate way to word it would be their is no reason to be convinced a god exists without evidence. And with that more reasonable wording I don't see a burden of proof.

@mymysticcrow the difference is, your asserting atheists believe there is no god( the without evidence comment is inconsequential) I'm asserting atheists aren't convinced o f a God. Once again, aheist: prefix "a" root word theist, meaning not theist. Compare to asymmetrical. A hard atheist position, or a non theist position may be asserting no god exists, but I think with your understanding of knowledge vs belief, this could be the only reasonable way to interpret atheism and theism

@mymysticcrow the soft atheist position would be to take no stance on the matter or to say I don't know. The only time I've really seen people confuse this is when the perceive agnosticism with this position, but your not doing that. I'm not sure where your falling off trtack honestly. The important thing to know is that atheists do not have a burden of proof, no claim is being made. Null hypothesis, n vs not n. A God exists, n or not n(appropriate thought process). A God exists, a God does not exist, n vs c(fallacious)

@mymysticcrow and i hate to keep commenting lol but what im saying is almost completely pulled from daekins or dennet.... its really confusing me how youve put this together but still arent perceiving the difference between theist, atheist, nontheist/antitheist/hard atheism. It's sometimes hard for people to understand, but it's an important part of understanding the difference between atheism and agnosticism, and you understand that. I feel like you've stated clearly and correctly the scales you were talking about it missed something while learning them. Let's talk about a different dawkins scale. He makes a scale of atheism from 1 to 7, and calls himself a 6.9 because he won't say there is no god(because that would adopt a burden of proof). And he refers to a 7 as(if I remember right) a non theist. And his time after time stated position, as an atheist, is "there is no reason to believe in a God" and possibly "I live my life with belief in God the same way I live with belief of unicorns or leprechauns or(the example tha explains this whole position) the flying spaghetti monster. The only reason I want to clarify this, is because its a huge point of unjustified judgement, usually from theists, but after you attempting to prove the insanity of a position you misunderstand, may be also from non believers.

@mymysticcrow and i hate to keep commenting lol but what im saying is almost completely pulled from daekins or dennet.... its really confusing me how youve put this together but still arent perceiving the difference between theist, atheist, nontheist/antitheist/hard atheism. It's sometimes hard for people to understand, but it's an important part of understanding the difference between atheism and agnosticism, and you understand that. I feel like you've stated clearly and correctly the scales you were talking about it missed something while learning them. Let's talk about a different dawkins scale. He makes a scale of atheism from 1 to 7, and calls himself a 6.9 because he won't say there is no god(because that would adopt a burden of proof). And he refers to a 7 as(if I remember right) a non theist. And his time after time stated position, as an atheist, is "there is no reason to believe in a God" and possibly "I live my life with belief in God the same way I live with belief of unicorns or leprechauns or(the example tha explains this whole position) the flying spaghetti monster. The only reason I want to clarify this, is because its a huge point of unjustified judgement, usually from theists, but after you attempting to prove the insanity of a position you misunderstand, may be also from non believers.

@PaulRecomStop Very good. You can partially paraphrase Dawkins. Unfortunately you are focusing on the details and missing the big picture.

For Dawkins, the big picture is summarized as the following 2 scales. 1) What is knowable - gnostic to agnostic. 2) What do you believe - theist to atheist.

I am an extreme agnostic. Evidence is the only form of knowledge that exists. As such I don't consider the 2nd scale valid*. We have no evidence to support the existence or nonexistence of god(s), supernatural, et cetera. Therefore, the 2nd scale is invalid.

• For science to consider a question, it must be quantifiable or verifiable. God is neither.

Point is, if you are theist or atheist, I consider you insane for the exact same reason. You believe something without evidence.

@PaulRecomStop I understand your misgivings. You probably define Theist, Agnostic and Atheist differently from me.

I've had people try to insist I'm a number of different terms that don't quite fit. Here's the short list.

Nontheism - read the debates you'll find that this term is so broad that it is almost meaningless. Technically speaking it includes all terms listed below.

Ignosticism - god/supernatural can't be quantified or verified. So I certainly agree that god/supernatural has no clear meaning. But I would go further to specify that the terms are in fact meaningless outside of social science.

Skepticism - I am a science oriented skeptic so this term somewhat fits. But I have misgivings about the empirical requirement of scientific skepticism due to how much we can't verify via sensory data or any tool we've developed thus far to analyse sensory data that we cannot see for ourselves.

Apatheism - god/supernatural can't be quantified or verified. So I am certainly disinterested in debating this subject.

Atheism - As previously states, I reject belief (or lack of belief) without evidence.

Agnostic is the only term that fits without significant qualification(s) or reservation(s).

@mymysticcrow I wanna start this by say in last night when I posted these I was having a rough night at work so please forgive me if I was condescending at all. It was my situation tha caused it, not stones comments and after reading what I said I think I may have been overbearing!

@mymysticcrow earlier you said about atheism, "one accepts a truth claim that God sent exist" and now youve said "atheism-i reject belief or lack belief". The difference is the null hypothesis. A or not a. This is why I don't think they are 2 separate truth claims, rather 2 sides of the same truth claim. When i say I don't believe in a God, I'm saying "not a" to the theists position of "a". Asserting their is no god would be a separate claim, ie b or not b.

Labels are important because they allow us to communicate faster. If we agree on what a label means, we can use it in order to focus on other ideas. I don't have to explain what a car is everytime I mention that I drove to work. On the other hand, labels can be used to corrupt a definition. McCarthy did that with "communist" and Christians do it with "atheist"; since they have corrupted their definition of atheist, I have to either drop the label when talking to them about it, replacing it with my definition, or educate them (everyone) on the definition. I can only do the former for so long. The core of what I want to say here is: labels are inevitable and if we are allowed to connect labels to any particular definition, we are corrupting communication.

So we need to agree on definitions and the labels that replace them in mundane conversation. How do we do that? Ideally, we should assign one label to each definition, and have labels covering different complexity levels of definitions. For instance: employee = is payed to perform some job; manager = employee that assigns tasks to others. Also, we need definitions to be consistent with knowledge and logic and common use.

Now, let us combine these notions and talk about the labels for people who do not believe in any god. One very early mistake you make is this: "I do not reject the idea of the possibility of a creator of some sort. I do not believe it. But, I do not disbelieve it.". Belief, unlike knowledge, is binary: you either do believe or do not believe. You accept a claim or reject it. Take the favorite example of Traci Harris (AXP): if I have a jar of coins in front of me, there are only two options regarding the number of coins in the jar: it's either even or odd; if I say it is odd, you either believe me or do not believe me. When it comes to the knowledge about this claim: it may be known to be true; it may not known to be true; and it may be known to be false. So you cannot apply a single binary term to label this. You need at least two: one to define your belief or lack thereof, and another to define the level of knowledge you have in regards to that belief.

This is where Christians become important again. "Atheist", for them, is anyone who does not believe their god is real. Then, because of their beliefs, assign to atheist all sorts of corrupt behavior. We have two alternatives then:

1. Stop using the label "atheist". We could all call ourselves "agnostic", or anything else. But the moment you disagree about their god, you will be labeled an "atheist" because that is a sufficient condition for applying the label.
  2. Normalize the label. While atheists are a small number of people, they are kept isolated from the larger community, which can then demonize them. But if your coworker, friend, boss, subordinate, are atheists but do not correspond to the label, cognitive dissonance starts ringing and the term must be revised to the common denominator between these people -- disbelief in any god.

Alternative 1 is what folks like Neil deGrasse Tyson take. I think they are doing a disservice to the community in general because (1) it is incorrect to conflate atheist with necessarily making a positive claim that no god exist, and (2) it reinforces the misconception of Christians that atheists are evil. Help your community, let us normalize atheism. To paraphrase X-Men, be atheist and proud 😀

p.s.: shit, that was so much longer than I intended. But that's what you get when labels are off the table. My apologies.

I do consider myself an agnostic atheist. I've gone over this in detail on a few other posts on this site, but what I would like to bring up here is that I proudly sport the label "atheist" for a few reasons. One, the fact that it seems to be this "branch" of the spectrum that is the most active in opposing religious encroachment of many of our rights. Two, that "agnostic" on its own seems wishy-washy unless one is really on the fence about the god question. Do you believe there is a creator god or not? If not, you're an atheist. What type or brand of atheist, & the level of commitment can now be added as modifiers. Three, I want to see the term "atheist" used as often as possible in order to have familiarity actually lessen the "contempt" & misunderstanding that that term carries in our society. As it stands, being honest on this subject in this country virtually guarantees that one will not win an elected office, especially any higher elected office. The more the term "atheist" becomes an accepted thing, the sooner we shall stop being seen as untouchables or pariahs.
There has been a good discussion on this here, so I thank silvereyes for the original post. This same question, or variants of it are floating around on this site in various places. It's always good to get different input, either for new information & outlooks, or to help one refine one's own thoughts & opinions.
I'm glad I found this site, even if I still haven't scored a date!!!

@silvereyes Another way to say it.

If you guys and gals would only look through your heads and try hard to come up with a concept that you can believe that Christians, Jews and Muslims believe is labeled "a concept of God", you would realize that you can't! "God" is meaningless, and that destroys theism, atheism, and agnosticism. But for some reason, you just can't stand to admit to yourselves that all three stands, theism, atheism and agnosticism are beliefs on faith. That faith is that "God" is a meaningful word, when the truth is that "God" is just as meaningless as "Zab".

@EdwinMcCravy Don't know what you use for definitions, but I totally disagree. there is no 'faith' in atheism. Atheism is that someone says "there is a god!" the atheist says, "prove it", the theist says "I can't", so the atheist states, "then I don't believe it". No faith needed or wanted. It's a lack of belief. 'god' is meaningful as a concept because it carries so much weight in so many societies, but it still doesn't prove the concept is a tangible, actual 'thing'.

@phxbillcee Look, Phxbillcee, use your head, please. If I had said "I can't play the violin", would you say "I disagree"? Of course not! That would be a very dumb thing to say! So when I say "I cannot "imagine God, nor believe you can either", you don't say "I disagree". What you say is "I can imagine God and here is a description of what I am imagining when I imagine God: __ -- and then fill in the blank. That way you will have educated me and then I will be able to imagine God. So educate me as to how to imagine God. Otherwise I can only believe you are like me and can't, but can only fib and say you can when you can't.

There is no "agnostic versus atheist". Each is the answer to a different question. Agnostic is about knowledge, atheist is about belief. If they're being honest, many religious people would agree that they think the existence of a god (or their god(s) in particular) is unknown and unknowable; a person can clearly be an agnostic believer.

@silvereyes [en.m.wikipedia.org]

@cmadler I agree, I have said similar statements, that said, I don't get hung up on what you call yourself.

I would love to talk to an agnostic theist. I can't understand the notion of not knowing and yet believing.

@cmadler You said "Agnostic is about knowledge, atheist is about belief". No. They are BOTH about BELIEF. They both require the belief that "God" or "Allah" is a meaningful word. See my post above: "Unless you can show that "God" is a meaningful word, you can't use it meaningfully in a sentence either to say "God exists", "God doesn't exist" or "God may or may not exist".

@EdwinMcCravy I don't understand your argument. The term "God", capitalized and with no descriptors, is commonly understood to mean the Abrahamic god.

@cmadler I don't know how to even suspect in the least, let alone believe, that there is any possible mental image of anything to call "the Abrahamic god". I contend that if I can only speak or write the sequence of 3 words "the Abrahamic god", but cannot conjure up in my head any possible image of anything that sequence of words could stand for, then I cannot know of anything I could be talking or writing about when I speak or write that sequence. If you claim to be able to have a mental imagine anything that "the Abrahamic god" could refer to, then please describe the mental image to me so that I may be able to have it too. Without a mental image for some row of alphabet letters to refer to, all I can know of is the row of alphabet letters.

@EdwinMcCravy There are plenty of non-physical concepts for which no mental image (or no accurate mental image) exists. What is your mental image for "infinity"? What about "imaginary"? What about "vacuum" (as in an absence of physical material)? What about "noun"? For that matter, what about "mental image"?

@cmadler You ask "what is my mental image for 'infinity'?  Let's analyze the term.  The prefix "in-" on infinity means "not". the "fin" is like the "fin" of "finish".  "Infinity" means "something that is never finished, or 'all there'.  So "infinity" is meaningless because it means "all of what is never all there".  Yes, "infinity" is meaningless.  Contrary to popular belief, mathematicians never speak "of infinity".  We only say "as x approaches infinity", which only means "as the quantity x grow larger and larger".  We don't define 1÷ 0 "one divided by zero".   

You want to talk about our awareness of bodily activities as if they are not something physical.  But they all are.  We all agree that we imagine things.  Scientists have discovered that  neurons in our brains behave a certain way, and when they do, we can detect the results of their activity, and label our experience "imagining".  

Don't you imagine things?  Of course you do.  Everybody does.   What about "imaginary"?  That's a word we use for things we can imagine in our heads.  I can close my eyes and imagine unicorns and mermaids galore.  You can too.  So you know very well what I'm talking about.  Can you describe feeling pain?  No, but you know when you feel pain.  Everybody knows about having pain.  When we say "we have pain", our nerves are behaving a certain way that makes us feel uncomfortable.  It's an activity going on within our body that we are detecting.  

But I have no idea what you are claiming to imagine when you claim to imagine something for the row of words "God, the infinite incorporeal spirit that created the universe".  So I don't how to believe that you are imagining anything for that row of words to mean.  It looks to me like you're just speaking them or writing them and believing (on faith, what else?) that they refer to something.  

What about "vacuum"?   We just use the word "vacuum" to speak of something that does not contain any air or gas.. What about nouns?  Those are words in a language that stand for things.  Nouns are part of a language that humans have invented. A mental image is what we say we have when our neurons behave a certain way,  A neuroscientist can tell you about how they behave (move around and vibrate).  

@traceyanarchist that was all over the place. I am not sure what kind of emphasis you tried to give in the use of uppercase letters, but the idea is very wacky. Knowledge is, traditionally, a subset of belief. The opposite of knowledge is ignorance, and the opposite of belief is... well, disbelief or negation. Let me give you a fairly simple example of what I mean:

John did not count the number of words in his dictionary. However, he believes the number of words is even. Robert claims to have received revelation from his god, Lexicon, and believes the number is odd.

I can accept the fact that both John and Robert believe what they claim to believe. I understand why Robert thinks he is justified in holding his belief, though I'd disagree with him on that. But I do not understand how John can jump from not having any justification to believing something. It is not that complicated.

p.s.: just to make sure I am not saying BS, I made a quick stop at Wikipedia: "Belief is the state of mind in which a person thinks something to be the case with or without there being empirical evidence to prove that something is the case with factual certainty.". Even the Venn diagram shows knowledge as a subset of belief.

@cmadler "Non-physical concept?" I don't know what that means. Please educate me. Maybe give me some examples of whatever you think "non-physical concept" means.

@traceyanarchist so Wikipedia is wrong because you say so. Wonderful. I'm glad I have up on this site

@hlfsousa I'd categorize my mother as an agnostic theist. She believes there is a god, but is also convinced that all the religions are wrong and that humans are unlikely to ever know the true nature of god. shrug Worked out for me, never had to go to church growing up and she knows and accepts that i'm a full atheist.

My idea of being an agnostic. Is about protecting the beliefs of all against those who would force their will on others. I believe in science more than any with also the idea of there possibly being some spiritualistic being or beings out there who knows with over 5000 different religions out there. But I want debate. Study. To know and understand all religions and the people under them. The only truth I’ve found is Christianity at its core is evil because of the forcefulness it creates in its followers. So most of my life has been standing up against it for science and other beliefs.

It only gets confusing when I explain my God is science. ;o)

I find my self often having to define both terms. I gets quite tiresome. The only time I bother with this is when theist make statements like "atheist belive in God the just deny it" or "You can't be agnostic and atheist". Then I have to "school them". With knowlege comes understanding, with understanding comes tolerence.

@silvereyes Actually i think you did a great job!

i'm of the thinking that gods, the afterlife and other supernatural phenomena cannot be known by the human mind. call me whatever blows your skirt up.

Thank you @silvereyes for this post; I very much enjoy how articulate you are, and astutely pointing out some very important things in this whole subject. It was a good read. And educational.

So with that said, I would like your (and others) opinion on the following point. (For clarification, I'll be referring to the Christian god here.) Lack of evidence of god is critical to both atheists and agnostics here, some saying they will hold their stance until such evidence is uncovered, discovered, revealed, whatever... So lack of evidence is critical. Ponder this thought, then read on: what if there was evidence.

Hebrews 11:6 "And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him."

The import of the verse strongly implies that any evidence that god exists would cause the entire Christian belief to fall like a house of cards. Hence there cannot be any evidence of god. If there was, then god himself would be responsible for undermining the only means of pleasing him and getting rewards. To me, this is an impasse; and a logical flaw in thinking that evidence could exist.

Have I adequately demonstrated that for the Christian god to exist, evidence cannot? No evidence, then no god...

@silvereyes - I didn't think of it that way; yes, it's an out for the faithful, but not well thought out. You can't believe with evidence and please god at the same time.

@silvereyes - Absolutely - your point underlines mine that the whole thing is a house of cards. I was also trying to relate it to those here who would change their position if evidence ever surfaced; those that lean toward agnosticism for that reason.

As we've just discussed, there simply isn't any evidence... Can't be. To me, this weakens the agnostic stance if you're agnostic only for the reason evidence may surface. It's almost like Pascal's wager actually...

I had a melt down from that last debate (a lot to process), and my brain is still a little soft, but I am still comfortable with agnostic. I still take at face value how ever folks want to identify them selves.

@silvereyesYepper🙂

Thank you.

One problem that I have with equating all agnostics to atheists is the stigma it creates. I relate most to my interpretation of an agnostic and don't necessarily consider myself an atheist, some days I may steer more to no God exists; however, for the most part I would hope there are higher order beings who watch us, love us, and protect us. So, I behave in such a way that they do exist, although I know there's a chance there's no afterlife and such because ultimately I don't know. I find no reason to be around any person whom either don't understand, or can care less to understand me. If people assume that all agnostics are atheists, they will assume that I'm an atheist (leaves me with very little room for relationships and a huge space for misconceptions). Consequently, when people see me praying and/ or possess angel ornaments and then proclaim to be an agnostic, they will see me as a walking contradiction and trying to be pretentious,or deceptive. However, I seek something greater than and more eternal than my limited experience stuck on this ball floating in space in retrospect of also thinking there's an infinite number of possibilities for our existential plane in a possible eternal spectrum of time. I haven't met one person though whom understands me. But, to me, it's perfect sense. Therefore, now there are people treating me as if it's all a ploy, and I need medication. I don't fit in with theists or atheists, and I think agnostics are misunderstood in comparison to majority of my studies. In other words, majority of the agnostics and writing about agnostics align with my core beliefs and perceptions of the universe.

After reading some comments and this post, some of you guys succinctly explain most of my thoughts that have never been expressed.

Why do we have to make perfect sense anyway when our senses are limited about things that haven't yet been explored? Yes, on this earth and plane, we have concrete physical laws, but our physical laws may not be the end all of all. I don't speak to convince or sway. I speak for inspiration and for understanding and for recognition of the numerous ways of viewing life as we know it. I also speak to hopefully meet others who relate or who may be inspired to relate with few words and maybe parables. I don't see anything wrong with feeling something to be possibly true (ultimately you never know - those feelings may be the source of something greater - who knows), as long as we do not enslave others to think and believe as we do. Why do we all have to think the same and believe the same thing. You never know as well that we may each have our own journey outside of our human lives that match our unique imaginations or unique string or unique being, as well as, shared imaginations or shared strings or shared waves. One or some may journey to a realm with one God, or some may journey to a realm so physically different from our own it fancies fantasy (defying all laws of physics as we know it and understand it), or some may even disappear into nothingness. I view the universe as possibilities and nothing of which limits these possibilities. We see limitations due to our limited perceptions and abilities. We are all possible - we're here - what stops anything else to be possible in an infinite and eternal existential plane if such exists?

I understand those who want to only focus on the observable and touchable. It's practical and applicable to our lives here on earth. It feels stifling and smothering to limit someone like myself, though. Of course, if you haven't inferred it yet, I understand that I may be wrong.

Reasons why I am not a theist or atheist and relate more to the ideas of agnosticism. Just because you declare to not know something or something may not be knowable, doesn't mean you can't imagine or hope or sway one's belief one way or the other. You also just know that there's a possibility you may be wrong.

The point is that as an agnostic I see fault in claiming that another's beliefs or ways of viewing the universe are wrong due to the fact it doesn't fit your limited views of the eternal and infinite, because ultimately you yourself may be wrong about something so beyond our limitations of being in our physical plane and beyond our myopic views of all things that are possible to exist --- agnostic thinking.

Think mathematics in terms of permutations and combinations and now think about the permutations and combinations about the eternal and infinite.

In my agnostic thinking, who the F*k knows so to debate and reason about it with our limited and varied capacities defeats the purpose. To add on, the distinction between beliefs and knowledge is ultimately the key as so many have pointed out. An agnostic acknowledges that such things are unknown and may be unknowable as it seems to be agreed upon, but without any restrictions or declarations of beliefs about the unknown. Therefore, it's open ground to believe what you may about the unknown, but realize it's unknown so you may be wrong and then again you may be right. Therefore, an agnostic may have beliefs about a God(s) or anything of the other possibilities, may not believe in such things at all, or doesn't even see the point in thinking about it at all and henceforth that we should remain concrete for it's practical going in the right direction for our survival here on earth not wasting time on the rabbit hole and on things that are possibly wrong; the determining factor is that they realize they may be wrong or they may be right and you may be wrong or you may be right -- who the f@k knows?

I think atheists relate to agnostics, because they hear no God may exist; whereas, an atheist would say - in my way of examining the definitions and dissecting the orientations - no God exist. Two ends of a spectrum saying yes and no; whereas the agnostic says maybe.

My rant only matters to me because of another post where people were trying to say that all agnostics are atheists at the bottom line of things, and this can cause problems and confusion in other people's lives when we think differently no matter how much we try to reason and define and label. In the post, someone's identity of themselves was being questioned based on bias per say (hard to say as well). Otherwise, if we're in different swim lanes, then I remain in my swim lane and hide this swim lane.

@silvereyes I joined this site thinking that I can finally find like-minded individuals to mingle and befriend and be able to discuss openly without lashings and such; however, to my dismay met with the same mindset as theists and atheists.

@silvereyes nothing wrong with any mindset ... just not able to openly express myself

@silvereyes In my agnostic way of thinking, because these things are unknown or may even be unknowable then it works two-fold: to claim something doesn't exist because there's no evidence is just as faulty as claiming something does exist when there's no evidence. This is another reason that I identify as an agnostic. There are very distinct differences, but to truly see (even though we may not know how to fully explain it) these differences is to be an agnostic. An agnostic would see that there was no evidence for microbes, but did that mean it didn't exist. An agnostic recognizes both of these observations. An atheist would, as I would examine it, proclaim that something doesn't exist unless evidence negates otherwise. Moreover, I think atheists relate to agnostics because they don't recognize the other side of the coin; so they think the agnostic thinks the same way as them when they hear unbelief and evidence. So, the atheist takes ownership of this label as well.

@quietStorm more correctly, instead of "maybe" an agnostic would say, "cannot be known."

@johnbogie "cannot be known" implies maybe and maybe implies "I don't really know" ... Error as I see it: taking definitions so literal instead of truly understanding the intuitive rooted meaning, which is another fault (only through my lens) I find with many interpretations (i.e. during bible studies or studies in general). If something is unknown, and if someone conjectures about the unknown, then I would think well maybe it's true or maybe it's false b/c it's unknown. Awareness and the ego also comes to mind, in reference to the phrase "can't see the forest for the trees" and vice versa, the ego is only able to comprehend and relate to self and so for only that which is within it's own viewport or awareness. Anything outside of self is as if it doesn't exists or even perplexing to understand or to relate. However, one who understands that the unknown doesn't necessarily equate to nonexistence, also understands, there's the likelihood (maybe) of anything being true or anything being false. In other words, take for instance any game of chance like hiding a pebble in one hand and asking a bystander to choose the hand containing the pebble, it's unknown to the bystander which hand holds the pebble. The right hand may have the pebble or it may not. The left hand may have the pebble or it may not. Either hands may not have the pebble.

Infinity also creeps in the gene pool of living creatures (or any element for that matter) due to mutation, external stimuli, and whatever else left out of the equation. Therefore, what may be true today, may as very well be false tomorrow (figuratively). More or less, to rely only on our own knowledge, understanding, strict and rigid definitions (excluding the hidden and the unknown) and symbols, and myopic thinking and viewpoints is like walking around with blinders on in the context of the eternal and elusive universe of things. It's like bondage. If it weren't for the curious and the wanderers, those who seek the unknown, then we would probably still walk around with blinders so to speak in regards to discoveries so far.

The answer to your semantic question hangs totally on your definition of God. (Capital "g" intentional.) Are you referring to a being or a force? Is this being or force interactive (with its creation if you include creator in your definition)? You need to dig down one more layer of verbiage before even considering whether you are agnostic or atheist. My personal answer is: myths are literary and oral stories repeated to perpetuate cultural memes. They are not meant to be taken literally.

Deet Level 2 Jan 22, 2018

Really great dissertation. Little room left for comment. Labels don't help much. I think of the label,on a glass jar. It serves to inform, but also hides the contents from view and makes it difficult to determine how much is left in the jar. Thanks for giving us so much to chew on

Separated by a common language.....

Theist - claims that a god or gods exist
Atheist - does not believe the claim that a god exists
Anti-theist - believes that no god exists or can exist

These are claims about belief.

Gnostic (theist or atheist) claims to KNOW that a god does or does not exist.
Agnostic understands that we cannot know whether a god is possible or not without evidence.

These are claims about knowledge.

Theism and gnosticism are different prongs of the same question, theism is a claim of belief, gnosticism relates to knowledge which is a subset of belief.

Personally, I call myself an atheist. I do not believe the claims of theists and I see no evidence that any gods do or could exist. Do I know that in any circumstance in any universe that it is impossible for a god/s to exist? No, so in the strictest sense I am an agnostic atheist in that I do not believe any god/s exist, but I know that the null hypothesis is impossible to prove.

And just to clarify, I am referring to all gods.

I consider myself an atheist, much to the Chagrin of many other self-professed atheists. I have often been grouped with agnostics by other hardcore atheist but there should be another term I believe, "atheist who just don't give a fuck" maybe? While I am sure someone could argue that because I confess the possibility that there may be an unknown creator, I must also at once confess that I cannot know what is unknowable. I don't mean the unknown, but instead, please, imagine that you woke up tomorrow and someone told you the alphabet has 30 letters and always has, then asks you to write down the missing four letters. That would be impossible for you to know. So when a hardcore atheist says to me, "oh so you think there may be a God but you just can't comprehend it? That makes you an agnostic!"
And I think to myself, "No, it just leaves me alone, in my ignorance of my ignorance."
"Just how stupid am I?" I ask myself sometimes...

I probably won't know until my last breath, so I don't try to answer. But I giggle when I think that one day I will exclaim, "AHA! I get it!!!!"
gurgle
cough
" It is Exactly as...."
cough, cough
die....

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16850
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.