Agnostic.com

18 4

Do You Believe The World Will End, Or We Face Global Extinction?

For those who choose to believe in global warming, it does seem to have some truth, if you will consider our strange weather, and record breaking heat in some regions, and polar ice caps are constantly melting.

What about natural resources such as fossil fuels, plastics, trees and wood. How about the air we breathe, water contamination, and the oceans and ocean life such as sea food.

How about animal life, particularly the animals we consume. what if more animals become extinct.

Lastly, disease and illness. Disease has the capibility to mutate and become stronger. Although medical science has made great strides, would be be prepared if a super virus unfamilar to us appears?

TAKING ALL THIS INTO CONSIDERATION, DO YOU BELIEVE THE WORLD WILL EVENTUALLY END?

DO YOU BELIEVE LIFE WILL EVENTUALLY END ON EARTH?

PERHAPS YOU ARE OPTAMISTIC AND BELIEVE WE WILL BE OK.

WHAT DO YOU THINK AND WHY?

• 14 votes
  • 10 votes
  • 4 votes
twshield 8 Jan 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

About 5 billion years from now, nothingness will prevail.

I could have answered yes to all 3. IF we make it thru this century, we will have the technology to move off the planet to new worlds yet to be discovered. (Just my prediction). There is no doubt that the Earth will be destroyed by the sun in the far future.

everything ends. the sun will use all its fuel too so that will be fucked too.

Sometime between 1 and 5 billion years from now the Sun will become hot enough to boil the oceans away into space and may expand to the point that the earth is consumed, so if nothing else, that will be the end of life on earth. But I also believe that technological societies are inherently unstable and have to potential to collapse catastrophically. Our society is presently living far beyond the long term carrying capacity of our planet and the coming collapse with leave the natural resources plundered to a level that will prevent us from ever rising again.

Global extinction.

I believe that our civilisation will collapse under its own weight, possibly some may survive and start again,
I believe we will wipe out many more species, but that the amount of biomass will stay quite high
I believe that species will continue to survive and populations will rise and fall
I believe the earth will be destroyed some time in the far distant future

What about all of the above? The first two will happen eventually, and WE will most likely be ok. A species as a whole, not so much.

The world will end in a few billion years when it's swallowed up by our sun. We, as a species, won't be here when that happens. It's highly likely that we won't last another century. The earth is not in trouble as people say it is... Earth will do what it always does... keep evolving and balancing itself out. Some other form of life may may find the new atmosphere perfect for its evolution.

Oh yes.... I'm sure we're in for a flu we can't cure or a wave of radiation that finally breaks through the atmosphere. What about an asteroid wiping us all out. Live for today and enjoy your life.

Just as dinosaurs became extinct and mammals became dominant,humans and or mammals may become extinct and another life form will take over .But in 4-5 billion years the sun will eventually burn up its hydrogen and become a red giant 200 times its present size and swallow the earth anyway.

The evidence is there civilizations end, morph and spring up anew. Humans may become extinct but I do not believe all life will. The last pandemic was around 1918, frankly I think the herd needs thinning and a pandemic could do it easily. (tongue -in-cheek)

There is virtually a 100 % probability that the world will eventually be destroyed in in some cosmic event -- strike by a giant asteroid, burning out or explosion of our sun, being sucked into a black hole, etc. There is also a 100% probability that the human species will go extinct in some manner. The question is whether the destructiveness of our species, environmental changes, or the combination thereof is/are the cause'(s) or if the cosmic event comes first. Eventually, there will be no tace of the fact that we ever existed.

Of course all life will end. Nothing is permanent. Not the earth. Not the sun. Not life on this planet.

It's just a matter of when.

Meh. Nothing lasts forever.

I don’t think all life will end, but I’m sure humans will go extinct. After we’re gone, the earth should heal and the other animals that are left will thrive.

According to Stephen Hawking, the global warming will become self-sustaining (no longer need man-made input, permafrost releasing methane) in 100 years or less and the heat on earth will be like that on Venus...in effect killing all insect, avian, reptilian, mammalian, etc. life including us and most bacteria. It will be the end of OUR world for sure.

As a planet rotation around a star, it will end at some point in the future. Until our star burns up, think life will continue in some form, but probably not human. We are messing up our nest too much.

I think it would be extremely ironic to have the majority f the world concerned about global climate change and then have to Orangutan in Chief involve us in thermonuclear war.

Having said that, I don't honestly know if we've reached the point of no return with climate change. There is a tipping point. And that so many people still don't believe it's happening is just odd. Every study that is agreed upon shows it's happening. Every study that disagreed with that result has has recently been shown to be flawed. But, some still believe there is an ulterior monetary motive behind it all.

Life on earth will eventually disappear though even if we survive long enough for our sun to die.

Duke Level 8 Jan 20, 2018

I have to believe Democrats will get back in Washington and Congress will discard all the trump scientific and environmental changes will be reversed.

sure hope so

Note likely...human population is indirectly responsible for the destruction of earth. Humans are not smart enough collectively to stop the overpopulation of the earth. Solar and wind will only slow down the RATE of destruction (they need copper and coal mines, steel mills etc.), not the cause

I too hope you're right. That doesn't guarantee an enlightened future, Sadly.

The 2 percent's oligarchy is nowhere near being challenged.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16852
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.