Agnostic.com

10 7

LINK Big oil asks government to protect it from climate change

how do you spell irony.... (i-r-oil-n-y)

PORT ARTHUR, Texas ✈ — As the nation plans new defenses against the more powerful storms and higher tides expected from climate change, one project stands out: an ambitious proposal to build a nearly 60-mile "spine" of concrete seawalls, earthen barriers, floating gates and steel levees on the Texas Gulf Coast.

Like other oceanfront projects, this one would protect homes, delicate ecosystems and vital infrastructure, but it also has another priority — to shield some of the crown jewels of the petroleum industry, which is blamed for contributing to global warming and now wants the federal government to build safeguards against the consequences of it.

The plan is focused on a stretch of coastline that runs from the Louisiana border to industrial enclaves south of Houston that are home to one of the world's largest concentrations of petrochemical facilities, including most of Texas' 30 refineries, which represent 30 percent of the nation's refining capacity.

Texas is seeking at least $12 billion for the full coastal spine, with nearly all of it coming from public funds. Last month, the government fast-tracked an initial $3.9 billion for three separate, smaller storm barrier projects that would specifically protect oil facilities.

But the idea of taxpayers around the country paying to protect refineries worth billions, and in a state where top politicians still dispute climate change's validity, doesn't sit well with some. .....

The proposals approved for funding originally called for building more protections along larger swaths of the Texas coast, but they were scaled back and now deliberately focus on refineries.

Lukian 8 Sep 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

carolina's govenor is rethinking the placement
of homes-"in harm's way"....We can't build
on flood planes,,,,nice insurance scam!!!!!
Then the construction firms can
go build the king his WALL?️

Wow....these guys don't want regulation or government intervention b/c they believe in "free market capitalism" until they wreck the environment and economy and need a handout. Un Fucking Believable! But hey, all our financial problem caused by greedy businessmen can be fixed by electing greedy businessmen!

The problem I see is that big oil is here to serve us. Look around at all the big SUV's. RV's, trucks etc. Also a lot of oil is used in the meat/dairy industry - for our food choices. Remember one finger pointing at something has 3 pointing back. All of us, myself included, makes a big impact on the planet. My goal is to recognize this and find ways to reduce my impact.

They have no consience.

I detest big oil. American tax payers have been protecting big oil way too long. ' The Seven Sisters' Book by Anthony Sampson is a good read.

When big oil was first out there developing the oil fields in Saudi Arabia they made sure and kept the government out!! Saudis figured big was ripping them off and started making threats and such and big oil ran to Uncle Sam so fast it made heads spin.

And now Saudi big oil Aramco is going to float on the stock market for a trillion or so dollars...

And we will continue to support them as long as the Bush family and the military industrial complex is allowed to keep their fingers in our government

to wean us off it we need a
big stick to get thier attention(consumer
resistance has worked elswear);the renewables
are making market inroads- & since our
grid is dire need of an overhaul, the 2 are
compatible...Seems like he is repaying
election debts!!!!
Thank you S Otter

If corporations are people, as the Citizens United decision asserts, then these oil people are totally self-interested psychopaths, completely without conscience or moral scruple.

good point about corporations being people. Unfortunately, a corporation can never serve life in prison for murder.

I concur! I will also add that some of them are narcissists.

...i heard that Wells Fargo is fireing
thousands because of their"sales quota"
scam of adding FAKE accounts--So
THINK/////collecting unemploment becouse
my boss set my pay to impossible proformance.
Sweet corporate teet(government WELFARE)
Then again ?️foclose on the workers
morgages while their distracted + giggle
on the way to deposit the profit
money(i mean blood money)...

Maybe Mexico will pay for it.

I think the auto industry should also anti up

Why don't we leave a refinery sized hole in the wall?
Problem solved.

Dietl Level 7 Sep 2, 2018

Please help protect us from something we caused.

Make the oil companies for the damn walls.

...pay...

Seems fair.

...PAY(patrioticlly ?)

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:169613
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.