Agnostic.com

119 5

How do you make life meaningful without the help of religion?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

119 comments (101 - 119)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When people ask this question they are really talking about "God" or belief in "God" at the least.

I am an Atheist, but also religious in the way that I am a Satanist, and Satanism is an atheistic religion.

A large part of Satanism is being your own god, and living life to it's fullest. Of course living life to it's fullest is going to differ from each individual to the other, but simply find your passion, your goals, things you enjoy, and go do them!

You can do the same without being a Satanist, as well.

I believe that life lacks meaning without humanitarian causes to improve life for all people and the place that we inhabit.

Donna Level 6 Sep 28, 2017

How do you mean, "humanitarian"? In the grander framework of overseas aid, local work or something else?

Personally, I've never been involved with organized humanitarian efforts (like volunteering at the food bank or sponsoring a child). I tend to simply be helpful to the people I meet. I'm not sure if that's enough or not. (Luckily, the agnostic types tend to be a little less judgmental.)

It can be either. I personally prefer the personal hands-on efforts, but won't judge anyone who participates in other ways.

The better question is why do people need religion for their lives to have meaning ? If you actually live life and not just exist or live in fear of some supreme being that will punish you for living life your way then life has plenty of meaning.

By enjoying the here and now. Mindfulness! Michael Savage addressed this on his radio show today. (I have no idea why I listen to him. When I drive it keeps me from getting tired.)

[wabcradio.com] look for 8/14/2018

Moment by moment.

Vayton Level 4 July 28, 2018

The concept of Meaning is ultimately meaningless.

Treat others like I’d want to treated.

How do you make life meaningful with religion?

Engage in the real world everyday. Offer to share reality w/ others in outright joyous ways and more sublime; through formal writing, teaching if you will, as well as proffering images (photos mostly); engaging myself with nature, others, silent contemplation.

Whether you live in the wilds of Alaska or the heart of the Inner City, circumstances determine what your life will be. It doesn't matter whether you deal drugs or live a totaling boring lifestyle, it's the things around you that determine if your life is meaningful or not. What you make of these varibles and what choices you make, will tell. Live your life as you wish.

Acting on your inner goodness, no need to worship.

Your problem, not mine.

who gives a monkies

why? my dogs enjoy life without it being meaningful.

Most religions spend a lot of time and energy preparing for the "next Life" which to my point of view trashes the life we are in at this moment.Living a meaningful life needs no help.

You have to give life meaning - it doesn't necessarily have any intrinsic meaning. As someone said previously, find your passion- something that give you purpose, and see how far you can take it. Be kind to others and help them. Get yourself a kitty cat or puppy and love it and care for it. Sometimes we get lost in the complexity of modern life- caring for a pet reminds us that simple love is one reason to live.

sleep on it!

mzee Level 7 Oct 19, 2017

life is meaningful because I have 14 billion brothers and sisters with me, I do not need religion, I share compassion and love without rules

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.