Agnostic.com

119 5

How do you make life meaningful without the help of religion?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

119 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just living every day as if it is all you have. That is so much better than living for an afterlife and forgetting everything that is so wonderful about each day. The sky, flowers, animals, mountains and love, my goodness it’s great!

gearl Level 8 Oct 23, 2017

I don't understand why people need the 'help' of religion. I've gone through some pretty dark periods in my journey, like most people, and I relied on myself, my family, friends who love me -- even my cat. When I was really down at one point -- jobless, nearly homeless, out of money, my cat kept trying to climb onto my lap. I'd be sitting there crying, wondering what to do and didn't want to pet him at that particular moment, but I guess he sensed I needed comfort! I don't need an 'outside force' to find meaning in life. PEOPLE and your relationships with them make life meaningful, not some 'Santa Claus in the sky".

I enjoy life I enjoy helping others even if they don't believe what I believe that doesn't matter to me I love being a parent I love being a relationship I loved being married if there is such a thing Love Is My Religion. Accepting others for who and what they are no matter what that is not judging

I would reply with a question!
What kind of meaning do religions bring to life ?

subservience to a will that was conceived pre-industrially 😟

I don't see that life is made meaningful by religion. Religion seeks a better afterlife rather than focusing on the joys of nature, love, experiences, travel, goals.

It's a paradox that your life means nothing and everything at the same time. Life is not inherently meaningful. Each person must create his/her own meaning.

Mellencamp: Nothing matters, and what if it did?

Must life be meaningful? Says who?
Is that a rule?
If you're lucky and/or privileged enough to have some stuff you like right now, groovy for you.

My life was not at all meaningful before or after rejecting the fairy tales & embracing atheism. It's now meaningful because of volunteer work for infants, women & girls. I've been a La Leche League leader for 15 years & like to think that my encouragement & sharing of accurate breastfeeding information has helped a few babies to be breastfed longer & have healthier lives. I also hope it's helped new moms get past some of the stress & worry so they could enjoy & bond with their babies more. A more recent project is sewing & mailing flannel sanitary pads to school girls in Malawi who otherwise have to stay home from school every month. We all know education is key to lowering birth rates & many other good things, but just giving the girls a little dignity means a lot to me as well. Sometimes I joke that I seem overly concerned with liquids that come out of women's bodies but I am 100% straight. I think it's just a coincidence!

Carin Level 8 June 3, 2018

By living by one simple truth, every decision I make has the potetial to make the world a little better or a little worse for myself and the people around me, and I always strive for the better.

Very nice!

Simple. I focus on my family, relatives, friends, and try as much as possible to help others whenever I can. My legacy will be their memories of me and especially those that I have helped in some way during life. I have tutored and mentored many along the way, both in my personal life and my professional one, as well as donating labor to Habitat For Humanity when I was able. I feel completely fulfilled, but know I could have done some things better.

I don't understand why you would need religion to make your life meaningful.

I think it's more meaningful because I don't have to adhere to any belief system. It keeps me open-minded and forever curious.

My life is meaningful - I am enough, I have enough, I do enough. I don't have to 'MAKE' life meaningful it just is. All of life is meaningful.

Never needed religion, did what my heart told me to do, and when it didn't I rebelled. It's isolating in a religious family but I find more awe and amazement alone looking at the sky than I ever did at the Vatican or church anywhere.

My life became meaningful only AFTER I shed the religion.Now my life encompasses not just a small slice of narrow people -- but the entire universe. When people ask me where I go to church I say 'look up.' When people ask me who I socialize with I say 'look around.' Never a dull moment. There's always something important or fun to do. And you can always be of service if you want to -- usually right where you live.

Cool responses to those questions.

The people in our lives, enjoyment of the natural world, celebrations, and community investment give my life plenty of meaning.

You don't need to 'make' life meaningful. Meaning is built in. If you have lost touch with meaning, you're probably just too comfortable. If you're not comfortable, plenty of meaning can be found in the challenge that your suffering presents. If you are overly comfortable just give most of that surplus to the less fortunate; you'll find meaning in that. No religion required!

skado Level 9 Nov 26, 2017

I would ask in turn, how do you make life meaningful with religion? What do most religious people do to help the world be a better place? They learn to hate other races, nationalities, sexual preferences or even gender preferences. They don't believe in war but we just keep having them. Most, if not all, hate abortions, but don't want their kids learning sex education or birth control. And, once a chlld is born, don't want to help support that child or even feed him or her. They believe in the sanctity of marriage and hate same sex marriages but how many have been divorced or cheated on their spouses? I realize I am using a broad brush but once you find out what a person hates, ask them about their religious convictions and you'll find most have some kind of faith based philosophy.

I completely agree. why do you have to know why sweets taste nice when you can just enjoy them? all questions just don't need an answer.

The same way other living creatures do. Sustain yourself and family, have fun and don't hurt anyone, any animals, finally STOP POLLUTING the planet, it's not yours to destroy.

Be kind and resourceful and Helpful to others then you will get Happiness in whatever you do.

Find your passion! Nothing drives me more and gives meaning to what I do than following my passion. Also when you find someone who are ablaze in following their passion, it’s motivates you, it’s draws you towards them. And a lot of times, passions can be contagious, especially when we keep an open mind.

Find a cause-be passionate about something-for me it social issues, volunteer work, politics-those are my three issues. I survived cancer without god-5 years now.

I think the answer is in the question itself: you make life meaningful, rather than have purpose dictated to you by some authority. I think it's up to each of us to figure out what's important, what we value, and live our lives accordingly.

I choose my own meaning for life not some old man who never lived theirs out of fear...if it feels good and hurts none it is ok if it feels good and benefits others it is good...if it hurts anyone it is evil

I don't understand how religion supposedly gives life "meaning". If there is an afterlife, what would the point of all this be? I feel that this is the SHOW, not the rehearsal.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.