Agnostic.com

63 4

What is your biggest fear?

As I get older, I see life very differently than I used to. How about you?

• 8 votes
  • 34 votes
  • 14 votes
  • 41 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 15 votes
  • 14 votes
  • 60 votes
Akfishlady 8 Sep 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

63 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Losing a loved one.

Not being a here for my daughter.

3 men in a car.

Losing my freedom. I would rather be dead than let someone else's will supercede mine when it comes to my life.

I prefer to not die. I would also add that I'm surprised at the low votes for "death." Seems to me all us nonbelievers would be scared to death of death.

Rats

Know NO fear.

Already happened.

not recognizing my next psychotic break for what it is and actually harming someone

Not pain but PAIN!

@Jone What does that mean?

Disappointing people whose opinions of me I value

Also clowns.

Mine seems to be coming true....growing old alone with no one to love me and care about me. It is such an awful feeling to realize that it what I’m facing for years and years.

partner or my children dying before me.

Drowning, buried or burned alive

Long term irreparably broken life choices that only manifest years later

Of those listed, poor health seems the most fundamental. Without health, you don't ultimately have sex, money, or a gentle old age. Even death becomes a chore.

Do I actively fear it? I'm pretty good at not fearing things that aren't actionable -- that I don't have more than limited control over. I try to take care of myself with exercise and diet and good medical care, and beyond that, what happens, happens.

I can always fly to Switzerland or someplace like that and have myself put down if things get too bad. Or in a pinch, do for myself.

As WC Fields said to comfort a fellow traveler as they free-fell down a mountainside in a basket: "Don't worry, my dear, it's perfectly safe, except for the last couple of inches."

Mine is escalators

Given that I'm not immortal it would be dieing before I have sorted some stuff out

I really don't like spiders but I found out from a documentary that I watched that that's hard-wired into our little brains

I'm terrified of the fact that one day I'll just be gone

The fact that this crazy ride is going to end sometime discusts the hell out of me.

Lately I am anxious about money. Health problems forced me to stop working before full retirement. Alone and poor is not a pretty picture.

I watched my parents retire then havve nothing to get up for in the morning. Their physical & mental health declined & they sat around waiting for death. My mother is still waiting but for her its the 1950s & her father is still alive. My father orchestrated his own death in a way it was not medically considered suicide.

I don't plan on retiring (especially with this administration in office) & when I stop working for others, I have already started working towards what I will be doing. I have a plan to be active & vital. I'm setting up for my "retirement" business.
I'm in the gym 4 to 5 days per week & honestly, Death will have to chase me down if & when It wants me.

I have an almost crippling fear of my children being taken away from me. It started the first time I had a midwife home visit when my first son was born prematurely.

My views on life are quite different in recent years. I don't think we truly have free will, for instance (though I've thought that for many years now), and I don't think there's a persistent personal identity we carry with us through time. As I come to terms with this perspective and contemplate its consequences, I find there's less and less to be afraid of. I have some irrational situational anxiety, but that's not real fear. If there's one thing that I am fearful of, though, it's doing something unethical. Although I don't believe in free will per se, the closest I can come is to act in accordance with desire, and my desire is to live an ethical life and to harm no one, and to not give in to competing selfish desires — but there are many schools of ethical though and it's not always clear how to live the best life.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:171094
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.