Agnostic.com

28 5

What Reason?

When something bad happens and someone says "everything happens for a reason", what us your response?

Swearing.
I just got mad asking that question.
Seriously.

DelilahJones33 6 Jan 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

THIS 🙂

Haha

If anything happens for a reason, the reason is usually physics.

Whoa! Great answer...what about chemistry?

The worst is when it is immediately followed up by "it's gods will"

Lol the HORROR!!!

That's when I introduce my foot, to their...
...in closing, I've had more laughs n insisted reading your posts, and the amazing comments.
...run!

I like to tell them their chakras are blocked, their aura is dull and, someone has obviously fucked with their Qi. Christians especially love that.

Duke Level 8 Jan 22, 2018

Lmao...keep it coming!

I usually say "Does it? Why?" - and they can't answer.

Jnei Level 8 Jan 22, 2018

@AxeElf That would be correct if the phrase meant "everything happens as a result of something" - however, the meaning is "this is happening to cause something, which may turn out to be good."

Let the 4 winds handle it.

Horseshit.

I usually say everything that happens has a cause, but not necessarily a reason.

skado Level 9 Jan 22, 2018

Oooh! I like this.

@AxeElf I realize we do use the words interchangeably sometimes, but to me the word reason carries the connotation of mental processes, where cause does not.

@AxeElf This is why I say "to me".

you are both right and on the same side of the discussion.

"shit happens". The reason may be over my paygrade. But I feel you. Sooner or later I had to bring up about 4, 5 days before xmas... because my sister lost husband on November she wanted no part of putting any xmas decoration of any kind, no lights etc, She donated all decorations and xmas trees to Goodwill warehouse. She lives in suburbia near an army base. Neighbor across the street thought that she forgot and that it was in good will to bring her a xmas decoration for the door. Thursday night before xmas I think bringing the decoration gift she tripped in the driveway and broke her glasses, scratching her face, knocking at the door bleeding with decoration in hand. Such an unexpected situation and so out of character for a benevolent supreme being. We put up in the door the decoration but reminded us that "Shit will Happen". And we don't know why.

A lot of good answers. In the past my response has probably been "I guess," in a dismissive tone, but next time I'll probably say, "not A reason, multiple" because I agree with the concept, but the proposition that there is a plan that we don't know about isn't helpful.

I don't say anything. But I believe they have it the wrong way around. Everything that is, is because of infinite things that have happened or not happened. Some things cause others to happen, but there is no reason involved, just physics. My "dumber" ecology students make comments about how amazing it is that plants know how to make their leaves grow a certain way to trap and direct water, reduce evaporation and so on. Trying to explain to them it was just random chance, but those that mutate an advantage have a better chance of surviving and passing their dna down the generations.

Sometimes just random shit happens.

I used to think that way. I know say go with the flow. Move ahead.

Usually, the reason is me making poor life choices.

Duke Level 8 Jan 22, 2018

AAAargh! That's another one of those hollow, meaningless statements people always say because they aren't intelligent enough to make normal conversation, but still like to hear themselves talk. The worst of these is "It is what it is". When people say things like that to me it's usually a red-flag as to the kind of controlling personality they have...

Lol I say It is what it is all the time. It's a reminder to me not to lose my shit over things out of my control. It keeps me sane. For real. 🙂

@DelilahJones33 I say that too! For me it means that some things are just no worth getting worked up over.

It's such a copout: love is actions...not incippient copyphrases.
As usual... I concur!
Peace

I concur with you, on all your posts...love your love of parenting, n your honesty is a huge turn on... I'm verging on " enamored "!
I suggest: report uncomfortable enamorement...to admins,
Then run!
LMAO
You are simply the gem of gems herein, and I hope your happiness grows!
...musically yours,
Chard

No event, good or bad needs a reason.

Simply walk away from that person.

Presumably, what you are implying in your question is that those who say that things happen "for a reason" are referring to some Grand Plan, formulated by the gods (or "God" ), and that we should not necessarily view the unfortunate experience negatively. Is that correct? There are many old Chinese (often Taoist) proverbs that give examples of why that may be so; however, if you're not Chinese (or Taoist, or perhaps Bhuddist), the concept may seem aggravating. As far as I'm concerned, everything happens for no reason, and for every reason. You can give these occurrences meaning, and therefore reason, or not, and therefore, no reason. It's up to you.

How..do...your brains, fit in a skull?
Very fine prose, merci

@RichardBreed well, my brain is actually quite small, so every night, I tilt my head to one side, gently rap the other side with the palm of my hand until the lobe on that side slithers out of my ear. Then I wash it and give it a small electrical shock, tilt my head to the other side and slither it back in. Repeat with opposite side. I used to use the Egyptian method of a hook up through the nose, but they gray matter kept coming out with a nasty greenish cast.

They just need something to say. I don't say that to anyone who had something bad happen. Especially when it's something horrible like someone being killed or dying from a disease etc. How the hell can you tell someone who just lost a loved one that it happened for a reason?

I often just blame 'aliens'. If I am pressed, I will be more specific and say, 'venusians'. Things happen because of action/reaction. And if they are intentional, maybe a reason.

I concur.
Keep loving your prose herein...and posts!
Verging on enamored!
My advice to that?
Run!
🙂
Respectfully yours, I am
Chard

Well, depends on who is says it and how upset I am. I can think of several that probably should never be said aloud, by me anyway. Bullshit is one acceptable answer.

No one deserves a reason, the universe is unreasonable.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17400
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.