Agnostic.com

32 5

Raised Atheist or left a religion?

Just windering how many people around on here were raised non-religious, as opposed to those who were raised in religion?

michael18 3 Sep 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments (26 - 32)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

raised atheist.

My parents discovered god when I was about 13. Prior to that we were not particularly religious. The next thing you know I'm studying to be a Pentecostal minister. My parents must have "called me to the ministry." Lots of study, guilt, grief, and many years later I discovered that gods are imaginary.

Raised primarily Catholic. But before that my Mom kind of tried out several denominations before settling on Catholic. So I kinda had a sense that a lot of it was.... optional?

I was raised I. Religion. I'm embarrassed I use to believe in that shit oh well.

I was raised a Christian with a fundamentalist tilt (anti-evolution, anti-homsexual, no ordination of women, etc.) but finally de-conveted in my 50's. The baggage was very weighty, but once it was thrown overboard, I was finally liberated. As a result of being brought up in such a faith, and memorizing large portions of the Bible, I now see the Bible for the sham that it is, and am likely biased in my views. Namely, that the Bible is a worthless piece of trash, and religion has, on the whole, been a net negative.

Raised a cultural Jew by a mum who was booted out of her Orthodox family for marrying her goy boy. No love lost on her part, hence secular little me! My sons are the same - raised with a lean towards Jewish cultural identity, but none of the other rubbish.

Goy boy ... that's awesome! My mother (a shiksa) was married to an atheist Jew from Brooklyn. They got along great—had a good run of 20 years before he passed away from cancer—and I learned a lot about Jewish culture from my step-father. In addition, my wife and I have some good friends who have a 'mixed marriage' (she's Lutheran and he's Jewish). They hilariously refer to their adult kids, who were ‘multiculturally' raised, as LuJews—pronounced, 'Loo-Jews.' Too funny!

i was neither raised an atheist nor left a religion. i was raised as a secular jew and realized at age 15 there were no gods. i didn't even think about not being a jew anymore; i'm still a jew. it's not actually a dealbreaker lol.

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:177693
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.