Agnostic.com

14 4

Prejudice 😑

What is the worst prejudice you’ve ever experienced?

AMGT 8 Sep 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The most I have delt with was when I was dating a black girl and people were giving me shit for, β€œ why don’t I be a normal white guy a date an white or asian girl.”

by far the crap i have taken for being jewish. i take a lot less, in person, for being an atheist, though i certain take heat for that online.

g

I work in employment support for disabled adults. We do cold calling to companies to try and find people opportunities. We visited one company, explained who we were etc and the response from the woman we spoke to was 'We haven't really got anything, we had one of those last year'

Ignorant bitch.

And that's when you want to report her to a supervisor. Wow. Just wow.

My mother opposed my girl friend because of her ethnic background who was the same religion.I married a girl of acceptable ethnic background but a different religion which led us both to becoming atheists

Skateboarding while female. People would look at me like they'd seen a snake: with shock, revulsion, disdain, fear, seething hatred. I evidently became so recognizable that people would stare at and gossip about me in the grocery store even when I didn't have my board.

It's nothing like getting beaten to death for wearing a turban or something like that, but it really opened my eyes to how stunningly petty so very many people are--how they get twisted up over the most inane, meaningless stuff.

I haven’t paid much attention, but I’ve caught attitude over my hair. I’m sure I’ve been prejudged based on appearance. I don’t care.

I’ve probably been judged as homeless on occasion.

The worst I ever experienced wasn't directed at me. I've experienced some minor bullshit things, but mostly it was stupidity more than prejudice.

I went to a small deli and grocery store in a decent sized town with a good friend and his brother. While I was grabbing drinks for everyone, Josh and Horace (he prefers Junior) disappeared.

I didn't know until I went outside that the owner informed them that he doesn't serve "you people" and asked them to leave.

I know a few people who don't particularly like me because I am openly atheist. Again their prejudice hasn't had an adverse affect on me, but I am pretty sure they'd act on it, if they wouldn't have to worry about repercussions.

JimG Level 8 Sep 13, 2018

As a privileged, middle class ,white, Anglo-Saxon female, living in a rich and relatively democratic country.....I am in the extremely lucky position not to have experienced real discrimination....in fact any discrimination. I acknowledge this humbly and sympathise with anyone who has. It doesn’t mean I cannot empathise and having worked in the charity sector have come face to face with it as a third party observer. I have campaigned against it and deplore prejudice and discrimination in any form.

25 yrs ago I was a government employee. I worked in an office with my junior and obviously much younger (male employee). The amount of people who would come to the door and address him, thinking he was the boss because he was male still rankles me.

Ok I know this is nothing compared with the violence that others have been subjected to. The continued violence toward women who happen to wear the hijab in a western country; the violent attacks on men simply because they were gay. The daily violence and discrimination faced by the Indigenous people of my own country. But perhaps my tiny experience with discrimination gives a tiny bit of insight into what minority groups must suffer. Is that presumptuous? I hope not

Swastikas painted on our house.

None, I know some will disagree but I always speak my mind anyway. Prejudice will hurt you only if you let it. Everyone have the power to overcome prejudice, not everyone knows or refuse to acknowledge they have that choice.

"prejudice will hurt you only if you let it" NOw there speaks a white male of privilege. Obviously you'll never know what it is like to be set upon and beaten up simply for being gay. YOu haven't had the pain of being ostracised in the playground for being the wrong religion. You haven't been overlooked for a promotion simply because of your sex. Lucky you.

@MsDemeanour think about it, all those assumptions you've just made, you don't know any of them. Absolutely NONE and yet, YOU chose to lose your mind over this. Its you, not me. My point exactly.

@IamNobody I have certainly experienced sexism and unwanted persistent advances. I know what it is like to have condoms thrown at me at my desk which I had to laugh at because back in the day there were no sexual harassment laws. You have not one idea. Worse, YOu don't even try to empathise. You just tell others to 'suck it up'

@MsDemeanour I have no idea, you are correct ....but neither have you. My comment is that I do believe its a personal choice. I don't let those things bother me. I am saying what I do, not trying to tell others what to do.

Prejudice and discrimination prevail when good people say nothing.

@bleurowz That's why I am saying what works for me, hoping it may help someone else. Obviously that someone else will want to change first.

@IamNobody I am glad to see you got a profile pic up.

@MsDemeanour you lost me.... what?

@IamNobody This is a new profile pic isn't it? You never used to have one? Or am I getting you muddled with someone else? Anyway I like this one. Suits you

@MsDemeanour sorry but yes, you are muddling me with someone else. At least last time we exchange comments in this thread I have had that pic for a while. Anyhow, thanks..glad you like it. I know it suits me... ?

As a young person in Virginia, I have gotten beaten up more than once for being white in elementary and middle School. For the record, it sucks ten times as bad when you find out that it was racially motivated after asking why they kept calling me a cracker. The first time I had to ask my mom what it meant while she wiped blood off my face was particularly memorable.

How many whites were in your school? Like maybe 10.

@MsDemeanour It is to some whom are the type of people to use that word and words like it in their regular daily vocabulary, but I use it because I am an unbeliever, apostate, against God, an infidel, and an atheist, which is its other definitions. Unlike your example, though, mine is not racially motivated. Plus it has a nice ring to it.

@DenoPenno In elementary school, at least half. In middle school, 5, including myself.

@Kafir pardon my ignorance, but it is only in reference to blacks that I have seen teh word referred. Perhaps you have other definitions for the other word also

@MsDemeanour the only other definition for cracker is the kind you eat, as far as I know...

@Kafir wtf? Someone is certainly crackers around here. I'll leave you to your biscuits. I'm off for Zzzzzs.

@MsDemeanour
We don't use that word here.

@MsDemeanour if you meant the n-word, no, there is only one definition and it is ugly and horrible and should never be thought, let alone said aloud.

@Anonbene, @Kafir Kafir and nigger and cunt are all words that are offensive and objectionable. What do we do? Sweep them under the carpet and cross our fingers that they become non-words? Actions speak louder than words. It is more important to be asking ourselves what we are doing to fight social injustice and bringing our governments to account. All I was doing was pointing out that in other parts of the world the word 'kafir' is just as unmentionable word as nigger. You americans with your spouting about 'free-speech' has limits. If nothing else I am glad you recognise that.

@MsDemeanour any word is offensive and objectionable of you put enough disdain into it. I don't find the word Kafir offensive at all, though I'm sure anyone whom you have heard say it would make it sound ugly. Here in the States, that word isn't even on the radar of 90% of Americans. Thankfully. And those who do know of it, believe in far more awful things than the word that means "unbeliever"...

@MsDemeanour

Yeah, no. That got you blocked.

@Kafir "the word isn't even on the radar of 90% of Americans" Well do you know what? The word nigger isn't on the radar in my country except from American media influence. Kids today in Australia (blackand white) ignorantly use the word to their mates and if the meaning of that word is changing that is great. Yes you're talking about your country Your history.The equivalent in my country would be 'coon' a derogative reference to the indigenous people of my country. I would never ever call anyone any of these other words because I attempt to improve my cultural intelligence and recognise that my country isn't the centre of the universe. That way, I can be culturally sensitive to others from diverse countries.

@MsDemeanour My point is that, though used negatively, Kafir has no negative connotations except for the religiously minded and those that have learned hatred from them. And the word is an Arabic word used by Muslims as a slur. And frankly, I don't give a fuck what a Muslim, or any religious person, thinks or says about me or anything else. So the only people who should be offended by the word is those that give a shit about the beliefs of those who use it negatively. I am not among them. Because it isn't a racist slur, it is a religious one. And I couldn't care less what the religious minded think. Maybe you should talk to those who are misusing it where you are? Because it's a good word, with positive connotations, among those of us who can see it.

@Kafir That is one definition. Take a look at this SA woman.[mg.co.za]
Now if only she had used the nigger word, she would not have got jail time. Yes I know it isn't the USA, but as I say, it isn't the only country in the world.

@MsDemeanour I would not hold South Africa as my standard for law. Let's just say they've had their issues with racially motivated problems... Also, I'm not going to change my life or relinquish my freedoms for anyone or anything, let alone the backward thinking people of Earth. All that means to me is, "okay, don't visit South Africa" which wasn't going to happen anyway... Nor would I visit a Muslim country for the same reasons. Sure it limits my possible travel destinations, but it's not like I'd have a great time there anyway. I don't know if you've noticed, but Muslim countries tend to be complete shit holes for various reasons... Not exactly cashing in on the tourism...

@Kafir lol. have a look at your own countries human rights record and backward thinking. it’s so full of bigoted christians that people here are afraid to proclaim their atheism for fear of losing their job etc. And I for one can’t be the only tourist who won’t visit for fear of being shot. Im ashamed of my own countries human rights record but at least its safe and there are laws in place to prevent speech that incites violence. People travel to experience difference. There are many exotic Muslim countries that are much safer than yours if you abide by their their often archaic laws.

@MsDemeanour I believe you just made my point for me... Re: archaic laws

@Kafir point scoring.? Is that what you get from this? Ok I concede.....your dick is bigger than mine

@MsDemeanour I'm not sure what point system you are imagining, but I was speaking of conversation/talking points... But at this point, let's just agree to disagree and move on...

@Kafir exactly what I said

@Jonado Thank you, Jo. That meas a lot.

@Jonado Actually, I don't...

@Jonado For the record, I'm actually transgendered. Male to Female. I just don't look it.

I've seen worse done to others than I've been subjected to, but personally, I was rejected from a math class and later from a science lab because I didn't have a penis.

Oh yes the "you can't possible do this because of your gender" prejudice.

I went to an engineering school. The women I knew were lucky to make it through with the constant unrelenting pressure of "Oh no you can't!".

Thankfully this is beginning to change and my group of friends absolutely knew that oh yes - both men and women could be just as smart and skilled at anything.

I missed a Physics class one day in college. A friend told me the teacher had asked the class "Where is our girl today?". I'm so appalled by that. He was too. lol

@RavenCT I was told that a girl couldn't handle the "emotional trauma" of taking Algebra I a year early, then told by the science lab that they "have enough boys." They actually told me that line three times.

@Nottheonlyone It makes me want to go back and tell them off!

My parents never stood for any of that. They absolutely believed that no matter the gender - people could do what they were capable of.

I was really lucky. πŸ˜‰

Years ago prejudice, homophobia, misogyny was much stronger than now but the current resugence of this fucked-upedness seems all the worse because it felt like we were finally making progress. The only thing I'm grateful to tRump for is now is it's easier to identify all these hateful people.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:177744
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.