Agnostic.com

20 5

QUESTION Stephen Hawking Says Humanity Won't Survive Without Leaving Earth

I've contemplated this and have written about human colonization of far off worlds in my stories. What's your thoughts?

Gohan 7 Jan 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am writing a story about a person who gets transported to an advanced civilization, he spends much of his time traveling between societies far in advance of our own. There are many problems, but if we cannot get our shit together while we are in one place how are we going to survive in many. It is much cheaper to get this world right with us here than to move our civilization to another world. We would have to take everything, I mean everything with us. Consider that most of our body mass is foreign material from Nature that helps us deal with our environment. If we change the environment then what happens to our being, our bodies. We do not have the understanding to do this and remain what we are, and I do not think we are mentally capable of dealing with any differences we would have to put up with to live off planet. Think about how we are connected to the Earth and the processes upon and within it.

But, what gives us the 'right' to colonize Mars. Humankind has a horrible relationship to colonialization. Think about it. Something(s) or someone(s) will be suppressed and oppressed for the sake of human survival. We all cheer when we watch Independence Day and see Will Smith punch the alien and say "Welcome to Earth" and then in the next breath we celebrate the idea of doing to Mars what that alien intended to Earth. Very interesting creatures, are we not? No, we have no right to colonize another planet. We'll destroy the Moon, using it's oxygen, in launching vehicles from there to Mars, making it a wasteland. And inevitably do to Mars what we have done to Earth. I recommend that everyone watch The Planet of the Apes.

I'm calling bullshit on that builder race.

I like the idea of terra forming Mars.

It's a lovely idea, but since a)we don't know how and b)we aren't doing a terribly good job of keeping terra formed when it was pre-formed for us, I don't think it's a viable option any time soon.

@chicagojcb We will always have human nature to hinder us, but I would purpose the idea of a planet first regulatory system. Everybody who went there would go with eyes wide open knowing this wasn't a get rich quick plan. Maybe there would be no money.
Mars is within our reach in the very near future. I have to believe that there are enough of like minded people to make this work, but I'm a dreaming man, and yes thats my problem.

@Leutrelle And who or what is going to enforce this?

Well, we're fucked, then. Because we don't have a way to leave earth. Not for long and not for many. Five guys and two women in the ISS isn't going to save the species.

All that I can say, is...I hope he is wrong! But, he could be "right!' I have not moved the needle, even a millisecond, on the current earthy political issue, and I sure don"t intent to worry over, 'end of world problem'...there is a limit on how much I can worry about himanity! Stephen can keep watch, though!

He's right, and it has nothing to do with how we've screwed up the planet and are ignoring global warming and all that rot. We know, without any doubt, that one day we will experience an extinction event by collision with a major piece of our solar system. It is not an 'if'. It is a 'when'. Not being Chicken Little here. It is a given. The trick is this: It could happen while I'm typing this, or it could be in 500 years, or a 1000 or..... If it happens this week, we are out of luck. If it happens in 500+ years and we have survived ourselves and our currently bullshit lives, it is highly possible we will have developed the technology needed to divert the rock and thus avoid the collision.

What we have at the moment is a situation where all of our eggs are in one basket. If we manage to spread out a bit, we can come close to eliminating the extinction of our species. It really is a simple fact with a simple but difficult answer.

Probably true. But, the difficulties of prolonged space travel are so difficult, I don't believe that any significant deep space travel is or will be feasible.

We don't need deep space capability to avoid extinction, but as times goes on and if we survive ourselves it is likely that deep space will also be within our grasp.

After proving our awful stewardship of this planet, we certainly don't deserve any more planets to ruin !

What's the point if we're just going to destroy another planet? Besides, just like Neil Degrasse Tyson has said already, if we had the resources to cultivate another planet for our species then we could turn this planet around. I'm assuming we would want to take a substantial amount of people with "us". It would only be doctors and engineers etc etc. We would need the technology to get to an outer planet first of all. We sure as hell aren't making it to another planet in a Goldilocks zone. The closest one is 12 light years away. That's 72 trillion miles away and would take 260,000 years to get there.....if we leave NOW. So why don't we focus on turning this planet around into a more habitable planet?

@Chefedone I think it's our economy mostly.

Profit, we will do nothing until a profit can be made from it.

I know he is all that and like a mother teresa of science but... Will he survive if he leaves his chair? I know I am going to hell for the question. I know.

I agree. We will need to go out in the universe to keep our species from extinction. We will either destroy ourselves, our environment, face a biological virus that we cannot survive, or we may face the same kind of extinction level event from a comet or a meteor that wiped out the dinosaurs.

He's probably right, because we humans are fucking up the Earth. Climate change is very real, but there are too many closed minded fools that don't care to do anything about it.

I don't see us making it far enough into the future to have a chance to colonize other worlds; from the technological advances necessary for such a venture, to finding a suitable place to hang our hats, I expect that before we can leave we will have either blown ourselves into dust or perhaps finally pay the cost for having shit on the planet for so long by way of famine, plague, etc.

I agree...man will destroy himself way before he can colonize another planet. Hawking says we have less than one hundred years left before global warming becomes self-sustaining. I suspect he is referring to methane being released via melting of the permafrost. He says that earth will become as hot as Venus. If so, it is over for us inasmuch as the only planet we could reach without speed-of-light (or faster) travel is Mars and Mars is not a very hospitable planet (only one-fourth the sunlight, no protection from cosmic rays, way too cold, etc.).

He is right. The earth will come to an end because of the finite lifespan of our sun.

Then there are all the other points he went on about that could come true.

The sun will eventually go supernova and incinerate the Earth so we have to leave at some point

I am a fan of Stephen Hawking and admire him and he has his opinions just as we all do. (IMHO)

Yeah, we have like 4 billion years - I doubt if we will get it together though. And I wonder who gets to go if they do. The way we are going, we will probably be extinct long before the deadline.

jeffy Level 7 Jan 24, 2018

Sad but true! We will be long extinct before the planet is destroyed.

We have only about 100 years left according to Hawking.

We're doomed.
We're DOOOOMMED!!!

Calm down, C3PO! lol

I have been thinking about this. Today I saw at the Paralympics two people swim 400 meters quickly enough to almost break the world record and they both had one arm. One of the swimmers had no arms and came in fifth. These guys are swimming faster than I walk. If we listen to the naysayers and the nonothings then we will get nowhere and they will thrive. If we shut them down, do not listen, and do not give them the time of day. Vote them out of the office and realize that our representation should be by people who want to help the people not THE PEOPLE with all the money. They should also have an IQ larger than their shoe size, and have the intelligence to keep the military-industrial complex poor.

He's right. We'll also have to leave the universe.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17913
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.