Agnostic.com

81 10

What do you do when you're blue?

When you're down or not feeling your best, what are things you do to help and why? When we're emotionally down or blue, we tend to find our personal go to's or remedies that makes our day slightly better or as pleasant as possible. Hang with friends, hide and read, what have you. I usually paint or binge watch game grumps in my worst mood. No matter how much I want to not let go or fixate on the negative, I watch game grumps and it makes me laugh every time and it usually reveals the stupidity of the situation. It really helps you get out of your own head, as dumb as that is. What do you do when you're blue??

Kayterade5348 5 Sep 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

81 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Go on a good long walk or lately bike ride. I try not to dwell or brood, so I listen to a podcast to focus on that more. It doesn't always work, but better that just sitting there.

"self love"

I'm not in down moods very often but I can always count on my lady friend to text me some emergency crisis that needs to be addressed immediately.
Like...

Her: My phone won't work!
Me: how did you just text me?
Her: Oh

Her: is that woman from Agnostic at your house?
Me: no honey, she lives in Australia.

Her: a hurricane is coming and I'm scared.
Me: so come here.
Her: no, I'm working on my crafts.

Her: did Nick run away?
Me: no, why do you ask that?
Her: I had a dream he did.

After 50 of those stories I'm always in a better mood.

Women.

Sleep, glorious sleep.

Yeeeeesssss

this:

not just this song but the whole album, or at least the first three sides. i have deliberately posted the version that is attached to a playlist so you can let it run to hear the full thing.

g

Musical catharsis. Blast music when no one is home, sing along really loud. Back when I was a teenager and gas was under a dollar I'd go drive around and do it, but yeah, musical catharsis is my go-to.

Yay! I know that always helps 🙂

Drink beer.

That helps a lot!

I might give myself some shock therapy like a documentary about the holocaust or the inquisition.

MrDMC Level 7 Sep 15, 2018

Stay home and watch movies, mostly comedy.

Pain and hardships, for me are inspirational... so I write lyrics

Btbd Level 7 Sep 15, 2018

I think I'm pretty lucky, I generally don't get down or blue but when I'm in that sort of area I'm such a fidget arse I find something to do and so it distracts me. 🙂

Music, or go for a walk or run.

Music. Walk alone. Whatever feel like doing at the time.

Different color spray paint?

I go for a run. Helps me every time.

I got a divorce. Cleared that problem right up.

All divorce did was get rid of my stress.

@DenoPenno I'm happier now than I've ever been.

@sewchick57 I know several women who exorcised their worthless husbands and enjoy the same outcome.

Chocolate
Dog
And a good friend to chat with if needed

Watch something fun on TV or Youtube,, sleep, write, talk to a supportive friend, sing, meditate.

Cry. Just cry it out until I can't cry no more.

Being blue, most often a euphemism for being depressed, only happens situationally for me. Most often i feel "down or not my best," when a conflict is percolating, or has exploded involving someone i care about. The temporary depression begins when i see no functional resolution which might work for both of us.

I know that in such cases, i have to figure out what is causing the pain, or fear, and then to find a resolution to it. So, when i feel frustration coming on, i have to do something to balance off those chemicals, which may cause the chemical imbalances which can bring me down. I also know that they will keep me down until i do something to balance them. I am also thankful that the chemicals which cause a depression/anxiety reality are not chronic for me as they are with some people.

So I manage such emotional angst like i do anger; i step back from whatever triggered the anger/depression chemicals so that the balancing chemicals have a chance to work.

My go to remedy is a combination of nature and exercise. I get on my bike and head down to the ocean-side trail, even stopping there to listen to the natural tranquilizer, the ocean's music. In winter, when it's sometimes just too stormy to ride, a long walk by the sea also serves my needs.

Some of my fondest memories are walking along the Dallas Road pathway in Victoria, BC, when i was so emotionally and mentally conflicted that i had no idea which way to turn. The peaceful sound of the rain on my umbrella was better than any chemical tranquilizer and the walking generated the endorphins, dopamine, and adrenaline i need to find my balance. That's what works for me, since i know that feeling down, felling depressed, has to do with a conflict in my own head, having nothing to do with anyone else, even if i sometimes can't see that in a moment of stress.

That's why i take as much space as i need to breathe so to balance emoting with cognition.

I'm sure many of you have seen the attached anxiety attack-resolution tip before. It works equally well to get out of a funk by distracting your mind from what has caused the situational depression. The technique, a band-aid for an ailing soul, has worked for some and may take practice.

Ultimately though, avoiding a real problem, if there is one, makes me find a permanent resolution. The spaces i create to do that hard work enable me to come out the other end of the tunnel sooner rather than later.

Fagitaboutit

Usually spend an excessive amount of time watching music videos. I've chosen other outlets before, like cleaning, sounds weird but it works sometimes.

Extreme fitness, watch some George Carlin, have a long talk with a close friend.

Paint myself yellow and make green.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:179585
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.