Agnostic.com

13 2

How many of you live near national monuments or landmarks yet haven't visited them?

I have seen the Statue of Liberty many times growing up in New Jersey, yet have only been to the island once.

The New Colossus
Emma Lazarus, 1849 - 1887
Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

Shelton 8 Sep 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In Trafalgar square each new years night people wade in the fountains climb on the lions backs try to shin up Nelsons column its so hectic and so funny. I have also been to many demonstrations in the square .C.N.D ; Anti apartheid
Stop the City, Aldermaston March etc

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

Looks like we found some new adventures!

I have seen pretty much all of the 'to'see' landmarks/monuments/museums in Ireland and I was here during the troubles too so I saw most of the island of Ireland when we had to go through road blocks etc an d the British Army was on the streets ,so, somewhat experiential. I volunteered at a centre in Derry and was often scared of being pulled over on the way back.

I live near the D-Day Memorial, and have not been. Having tried to join two branches, but was denied (due to minor medical issues), my sense of patriotism isn't lost. I don't, however, resort to jingoism. Critique can be patriotism (getting off base here). I should go, but I work too much. My grandpa served in world war II, and the event is meaningless if people forget. Those who don't appreciate history are doomed to repeat.

nothing major. i used to live in the d.c. area and i visited my little heart out, multiple times. when i was a small child in philadelphia, where i was born, every time we had an out-of-town visitor, even if s/he was just from new jersey, for example, we all went to visit the liberty bell.

g

Not really a monument but I am embarrassed to admit I live 5 hours from Key West and have never been. Lived here since I was 12 in 1975.

I drove 7 hours to South Carolina a couple months ago, took a cruise to Alaska a couple of weeks ago, been to the Caribbean a couple of times but have never been further south than Miami

I don't live in NYC or near it....and I've been to Liberty Island four times....

State and National Parks, National Monuments, Wildlife Refuges, and Historic sites...and museums are kinda my thing...so, yeah, if it's near me, I've been there.

We're surrounded. Saguaro national Park. Ironwood national Forest . Chiracahua. Organ pipe. Casa grande. Tumacacori. Haven't been to casa grande. You should get to the chiricahuas

I went to the San Jacinto monument and the battleship Texas this summer. I hadn't been there before but not sure about other national monuments here. Most of ours are Texan, not American

I searched Kansas National Monuments and there aren't any. I got 26 Historic Landmarks though. I've been to the closest ones but most of them are in the northeast corner of the state and I don't go there for any reason.

only went to the Kentucky Derby Once

@Shelton I was infield age

I've never been to Stonehenge. Okay, so it's not exactly local to me, it's about a 5 hour drive, but still, it's something I feel I should have visited.

geesh. I've been there probably a dozen times. You really need to go!

I have been to stonehenge, every time I went to glastonbury festival, its a heck of a long drive .

I live 90 minutes away from Stone Mountain in Georgia. Didn't realize that until I read your question and looked it up. I thought it was farther. But I have been there before when I was a kid.

That's a cool place. I love the artisan market especially the glass blowing

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:179786
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.