Agnostic.com

30 16

Why do people act badly at family events?

Weddings bring out the best and worst in people.

Yesterday my daughter, Claire, 28, was gracious with everyone, showed good manners, and was emotional during her wedding ceremony. She cried with joy.

Growing up, Claire hated it when I nagged her to close her mouth while chewing, put her napkin on her lap, and sit up straight. “I don’t believe in napkins,” Claire told me at age 20. “I use paper towels.”

So, I was amused to see Claire at the head table: chewing with her mouth closed, sitting straight, using good table manners, delicately patting her mouth with a cloth napkin, and putting the napkin on her lap. Too funny! Claire listened, after all.

Claire’s dad was an hour late for family pictures, grandstanded, and tried to make it about him. Everyone stood around waiting for him. Using a microphone, Terry talked about himself, insulted millennials (90% of the guests), and forgot to give the toast. He was also cruel to me. Stick in the knife and twist. I did not reply and walked away. Terry is becoming more like his narcissistic mother.

Claire has over 50 friends who love her. It was fun meeting her friends. I felt overjoyed to talk with members of Terry’s family whom I haven’t seen in 20 years. They were happy to see me and remembered my laugh! We had a great time.

“Your mannerisms, intensity, inflection and the way you tell stories are exactly like Claire's!” four people told me. “You both make me feel I was there.” I was amazed.

I was the only person who brought a warm coat. Temperatures dropped into the 30s after dark. The wedding, dinner and reception were outdoors at a winery.

"Just use your mind to stop feeling cold," a young lady said. I was shivering hard. "Mental concentration does not prevent hypothermia," I replied. "I'm going to get my coat."

Today I felt like I was beaten by a 2x4. Must have been tense yesterday. I didn't drink alcohol because I had an hour-long drive home in the dark with sharp curves. Drained, I left at 8:30 p.m. as young people partied on.

Claire’s wedding was touching, simple and beautiful. My tears welled up when Claire walked down the aisle.

What an emotional roller-coaster! I'm going to try to focus on the positive.

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

While it's not the behavior I would have exhibited, we have to take your recollection with a grain of salt, esp. considering it is blatantly obvious he is your ex. The things you said might have not been suave, but I would by no means say he behaved badly from your description. I would classify that more as he didn't do what you expected, and you're being a little harsh. He didn't get drunk, he didn't call her a whore, he didn't call her new husband a pathetic loser who isn't good enough for her...etc. Maybe my bar is set a little too low...maybe your's is set a little too high?? That's all I'm saying 🙂

Gtrz to her and glad you were able to be there for her!

Keep the good memories, forget the rest.

@IamNobody

Good advice. Thank you.

@LiterateHiker No problem... My daughter got married recently, I can relate. Anyhow, going forward there will be a day when your daughter will appreciate that you remember her being the center of that important day over anything else. Cheers !!

Welcome to the "family values", not club. Last, April I met my daughter and her family for a few days in Portland. Her mother was supposed to be there, but mysteriously wasn't. My daughter had told me mom has changed but later told me that she had told my granddaughter that I divorced her on her birthday (in actuality she had started the divorce proceedings (she was in Bakersfield and I in Germany) and I had started the separation process - it was on her birthday. The point is that continue to hear these stories/lies from my former to anyone who would listen. I told my daughter it is very bad form for parents to bad mouth the other in front of the kids (it's a ploy to reduce their own guilt and/or pull the kids closer to them). However, I also said I reserve the right to defend myself and I often have proof. Obviously she has not changed and this may have something to do with her conveniently not meeting me in Portland.

That’s a good story, families can be interesting. Your daughter is lucky to have a classy mom.

@Dhiltong

Thank you.

You sacrificed to make your daughter's day special for her no matter what anyone, her father, did that could have ruined it. I'm not a parent, but it seems to me that you did what good parents do. And your daughter is in love! Congrats! Get some rest and feel better soon. Even if some people didn't notice your sacrifice, you sharing it here makes me admire you!

I believe sometimes it's because the person is wanting attention. Just went thru some crap with one of my daughter-in-laws after my husband past away in June. 3 weeks after he past, I was having a tough day and was crying when my phone rang. It was that daughter-in-law. She proceeded to question me about why was I still crying all the time????? I told her I wasn't feeling well and had caught a cold and was still missing Richard a lot. I told her at this point of my life I didn't think I would be looking at going back to work, but knew I would have to so I could pay my bills. I then said I don't want to talk and hung up. She immediately started her usual BS, and I made the decision to block her from my life until she apologizes to me for her horrible behavior. She told many people in my family lies about what I said to her and it's only gotten worse. I realized that she had been doing this crap for the 20 years she has been in my family. I told my son, "look, she either grows up and apologizes for her lies and ugly behavior, or I have nothing to do with her." She has never apologized for her behavior in the past, so I don't really expect one now. That is fine by me, as my stress level has gone way down since shutting her out. I still go to family get togethers, I just avoid her. Sometimes you simply have to buck up and say ENOUGH, and not allow ugly people to ruin what good is there in the rest of the family.

She must have never lost a loved one. People mourn in different ways for different lengths of time. My stepfather still wears his wedding ring even though Mom passed nearly ten years ago. Don't let anyone ever question why you still mourn or tell you to get over it. You do what is best for you to overcome your obstacles. {hugs}

Once again, you survived the bad and moved on to the good...you were there for your daughter and it will be that which she remembers always. Glad you made it home safe and sound...must have been such a proud mom to see what a positive impact you had on your little girl...she turned out to be a charming and lovely young woman...like her mother. I am happy for you.

@thinktwice

My heart feels warm and I'm smiling after reading your reply. Thank you, dear!

Your daughter sounds lovely and I am so glad you enjoyed the wedding. Forget about your ex. No need to think about him!

@GreatNani

Claire's old friends threw their arms around me. I was delighted to see them after 10 years.

"Elizabeth!" I exclaimed as she hugged me. "You little stinker!"

Claire and Elizabeth were best friends in middle school and junior high. Elizabeth was infamous for throwing Claire under the bus.

"Claire forgave me years ago," Elizabeth said. "We're good now."

@LiterateHiker That is wonderful! So glad you could enjoy it and best wishes to your daughter and her new husband. It is really a wonderful thing to see you your children grow up and become the kind of people you hoped they would!

Venting is good for the soul. You've earned it Mom! I'm so glad Claire had a wonderful wedding and in the end that's all that really counts. I hope you found a way to have some fun too despite all...

I've always liked Claire, she's a good kid. Congrats on the marriage. Tell Terry to grow up and stop being such a tool.

It sounds like there was plenty of positive to focus on, and Claire sounds like a delight.

Deb57 Level 8 Sep 26, 2018

I think sometimes that why some families have to drink at every get together. They still backstab, bitch and fight but they laugh, hug and cry too.
I'm glad I no longer attend my ex's family gathering for that reason. Why hang out, when you despise each other's presence?

Some kids do listen, even when you think they don't. Sweet story too bad the ex is an ass. BUT he is the ex so remember the lovely moments and let the crap fade away.
You acted with class and I bet many from his side of the family miss you.

Just curious, where was the winery that temps dropped so low? Have not had any temps below 39 here in Ellensburg.

The biggest reason is looking for attention, or jealously that someone else is getting attention

fuck weddings are stressful parties sounds like you enjoyed it in the main and the ex will be remembered as the dick.Now on to important things did your hair survive all the dancing?

@weeman

Instead of dancing, I helped Dylan, 18, with college and scholarship applications. Luckily, I had my college mentoring briefcase in the car.

Gave him a "Senior Packet" with instructions for applying for the required FASFA (Federal Application for Student Financial Aid), asking for recommendations, writing a personal essay, etc.

My French twist began falling down during the drive home. I stressed it by pulling a scarf around my neck with my wool coat.

@LiterateHiker woah you know how to party wild lol

@weeman

It made me feel good to help Dylan.

Alcohol dehydrates me and gives me a headache. It's not worth it.

Because your family knows exactly how to get you to respond to their every act. They push you into acting in a way that suits their scenarios.

Since these things are usually played out over and over, make a plan on how to avoid the traps that will be laid. Stay centered in that resolve and you'll be treated to a real mind-altering show. The bi-product will be a learning experience and a peaceful gathering.

I had a lot of aunt's and uncles, the only difference between weddings and funerals was a dead person.
There was always someone that caused problems.
I'm glad all else went well.

I don't blame you; I hate wedding ceremonies and being forced to be around obnoxious relatives.

I had a destination wedding on the beach at a FL island bird sanctuary, in a ballroom gown I designed and sewed myself. Only a handful of close friends there and we ate afterward at a seafood restaurant on the beach.

Yay, congratulations! It seems like you raised a great daughter and you did it right. Oh, and unhappy people tend to bring their unhappiness with them wherever they go, the best one can do is in knowing that ahead you can try to limit the impact. It’s tough at weddings, your focus is right.

@Tony80223

Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate you.

.thanks for the insight.You did set the
example to follow.

Maybe because of they feel comfortable being themselves as most everybody knows each other?

I take it he's your ex for all those bad behavioural reasons you listed?

@Hazydays

Yes, Terry is my ex-husband and the father of Claire.

The biggest reason is looking for attention, or jealously that someone else is getting attention.

Glad to hear there was so much good. So sorry to hear about the ex. Seems you made a wise decision to move on.

May your daughter and her husband experience a lifetime of love and joy.

You kind of explained why with the father. Narcissism often just entrenches itself into people it's inflicted on.

I avoid family events. Last one was mom's wake. I love my mom but family. Uncle norm was there and his stuck up kids. Love Norm but his 2 kids. Wedding last ones i been i was a hired gun. Wow i just realize my fave niece did not invite me to hers

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:180629
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.