Agnostic.com

58 5

How do you respond when a loved one asks you to pray for them? This is an actual group text from my sister to me and my siblings asking us to pray for her husband.

Hi there, I want you all to know that Chris has been experiencing health issues with his lung and now possibly with his heart. Thursday he is having a procedure to find out more. Please pray for a positive outcome. I love you all.

Shelton 8 Sep 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

58 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If they know you're an atheist, they may just be including you on the text to keep you in the loop. I don't generally respond to group texts unless I'm sure a response is required, and it this case, I would think, as some of the previous responses, a phone call might best address the person's concerns.

I would say:
"While I don't believe in any deities in the sky, I do sincerely hope that the Doctors and Nurses who attend Chris are fully focused on their work and have the greatest skill to help this situation resolve successfully".

Maybe I missed it but I don’t see where they asked for a response. I don’t respond.

When most people are faced with their mortality the have a need to rationalize there is a higher power that can help solve all problems. Been through this personally and just tell a white lie that I'm praying for the sick person. Already a lot of emotions running high, I don't see how starting a religious arguement is a smart thing considering the circumstances

I'd probably just respond with "good luck". He's already doing the sensible thing. He went to the doctor instead of a minister which shows he doesn't believe prayer will fix what is wrong with him.

I “ wish “ and “ hope”...

Inferring Human Spirituality...as opposed to Devine Spirituality!

I say I'm sending you good energy and you will be in my thoughts

The great sky monster demands a sacrifice!

Respond the same way you would if she had left the 'pray' sentence out.

I would say I will be holding you close in my heart.

If she knows you don't believe then she is probably not thinking straight. If she doesn’t then it’s not really the right time to tell her, just let her think you have.

Kind of a dick-ish moved to point out at this point, when she is so frightened for her husband, that you don’t pray, so “keeping you both in my thoughts” is both kind and honest.

@Shelton and P.S. I hope that your brother-in-law is able to find some answers for his health issues! ❤️

I would either not respond or say that I will keep them in my thoughts.

Something like sending him you best wishes

Simply.. my thoughts are with you.

if its really going to hurt then I would just lie

Just say your thoughts are with you.

I usually say, "There is a power for good in and around all things, including your husband. This power is acting right now to create the perfect outcome."

None of my loved ones will ever think to include me in a such text , they know better . ?

shes worried about her husband and must not know about your standing on prayers etc i would just send a thoughts are with you hope all goes well txt then at some later point when emotions are not running high let her know you don't feel able to do so or not if you are planning on not having that discussion.Now is not the time to appear to be a dick her emotions will make it way bigger than it needs to be good luck

Say that you will pray for lord Baphomet as they asked. They will never ask again.
If they say that you should pray to god, you choose any famous pagan god and say that you will pray to it.
If they insist about the real god you say that there are no real gods, and they should be more specific about which imaginary friend you should pretend to have a telepactic conversation.
If they say lord Jesus or the christian god, at this point you might just laugh that they are trying so hard.

If it's an immediate family member then I would text, "I hope he gets well." If it is a distant family member or non-family, then I will ignore it for not showing me respect for my beliefs.

That’s not my ball of wax, but I wish you the best possible outcome.

Cross my fingers?

godef Level 7 Sep 17, 2018

"Prayers work if they were true from the heart" = positive thinking and truly wishing that someone get well would work..
According to the law of attraction ?

Nader Level 6 Sep 17, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:180765
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.